Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Giants - general match discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Written with great feeling GS. It was traumatic for us older Bloods but now we all support the best and most respected club in the comp.
    What was the final banner as south melbourne? I remember seeing an image of it once and remember that it was a real eyebrow-raiser! They certainly wouldn't get away with something like that today.

Was very interested to see that Cameron didn't train today, but they seemed very certain he would play. Would be a big out for them, or if he's playing injured, especially since we're nearly at 100% fitness.

The last banners before relocation/merger.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard the swans players refused to run through it.

Senior Player
    And if they were, what were they saying about the WC Eagles and the Crows when they came into the AFL?
    Both these clubs were formed only four or five months before they ran out on the field for their first game.
    Poor old GWS are copping it big time, when all they are doing is following an AFL "tradition" of constructing
    clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It's sad to see the same old lines that we used against us, are now being used by us against giants.
    $wans = GW$,
    Artificial = Artificial.

I can only assume those calling those name s weren't around in the 80's and 90's.

Think of something original.

I'm heading out to the game and looking forward to smashing the giants out of the park. I haven't forgotten the last time I went out for the qualifying final last year and Steve Johnson took out Kennedy early with a knock to the head. He wasn't the same afterwards even with the time out on the bench. Same for Tippett. It was a nasty game and a big win will go some way to evening up the ledger. Hoping Rohan, the excitement machine, fires up!

- - - Updated - - -

The Lions one is sad, their "merge" was just a shotgun marriage of convenience and from what I gather the connection with their Melbourne fans has been strained.

Roosy was interviewed by Sheehan and apparently the previous genuine relocation had unanimous support from the player group, and they still had a pretty good team at that stage. Then their dick of a President, Leon Wingard I think, went on some hare-brained scheme to save them.

Senior Player
    Sorry to digress, but I'm watching the State Of Origin right now, and Channel 9 have this
    thing called the "Intensity Meter" up on the screen that measures players individual performances
    in the game. Not quite sure how it "works". Maybe we should all put it and get one for Kingy and
    the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    And if they were, what were they saying about the WC Eagles and the Crows when they came into the AFL?
    Both these clubs were formed only four or five months before they ran out on the field for their first game.
    Poor old GWS are copping it big time, when all they are doing is following an AFL "tradition" of constructing
    clubs.
    Big difference between the two, enormous really

* West Coast and Adelaide were able to do that mainly by just mining their local comps, so the artificial claim really is inappropriate for them.
    * Both West Coast and Adelaide were formed off the back of a community push by WA and SA, GWS in contrast had no community support but were born out of a focus group to facilitate a TV deal.
    * The support, commercially and from joe public and their commercial viability was undeniable from Day 1, who knows when GWS will be self-sufficient

GWS is a different animal so it's not fair to compare the two. We can all have our opinion about them but the reality is we won't know if they are a success or failure until 2030

I wasn't a fan when they were formed because I genuinely didn't think Sydney had the capacity to support two teams and I feared it was a conspiracy to weaken the Swans. The biggest fear was having two weak teams in Sydney as has occurred in Qld. I also didn't like their entitled arrogance (as befitting an outfit run by AFL stooges) and I detest some of their playing group.

I have changed my tune to a large extent now. I do very much believe that GWS has help "grow the AFL pie" in Sydney and I really do think the AFL newscycle in Sydney is now 24/7 albeit less intense than in Vic/SA/WA. I believe we are even stronger now due to the growing of the pie in our North Shore/Eastern Suburbs heartland and that has been facilitated by a number of reasons including Buddy but also greater fan engagement via the Academy system.

I am also very grateful that the introduction of GWS has allowed the academy system to take hold where there is now a pathway for local boys to play for the Swans. This is a game-changer.

I still dislike GWS intensely but I do believe they have, on the whole, had a positive effect on the game in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    The Lions one is sad, their "merge" was just a shotgun marriage of convenience and from what I gather the connection with their Melbourne fans has been strained.
    "Shotgun marriage"? More like a consumption. I still don't get how taking 8 players from one club and adding them to 36 players from another club can really be called an equitable merge

Oh, and it's not lost on me that the original South Melbourne Football Club amalgamated with the Albert Park Football Club to be hence forth known as ... South Melbourne

Roosy was interviewed by Sheehan and apparently the previous genuine relocation had unanimous support from the player group, and they still had a pretty good team at that stage. Then their dick of a President, Leon Wingard I think, went on some hare-brained scheme to save them.
    Dyson Hore-Lacey
    Last edited by goswannies; 12th July 2017 at 10:53 PM.

No sides existence is beyond question.
    In a more hard arse world of relegation or private ownership teams like the bulldogs would be long gone from the AFL.

That's the one! I can't imagine anything like it now, which is a shame. The South Melbourne one is particularly fine - only four words but you can feel the world of pain and anger behind them.

Fitzroy never merged with anyone. They still exist in the Victorian amateurs. The Bears were rebranded and took over Fitzroys records.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-deed-of-arrangement-between-fitzroy-and-brisbane.885996/
    Last edited by Boddo; 12th July 2017 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Mumford is such a dirty little p***k.
    I like think he was turfed out under the "no dickheads" policy, rather than the lack of moolah.
    Mumford has always been a very physical player. It worked in our advantage when he was with us (although I do remember he copped at least one suspension).

More and more it seems like he's playing to hit as hard as he can, rather than impact the game, which I think isn't a great look. But he does keep it within the rules, so fair enough. Look at his hit on Duncan last year - he absolutely lined him up to smash him, but he used his chest and arms in a tackling motion, which is completely legit so good luck to him.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast