Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why do YOU support the Swans?

My convict great-great-grandfather and -grandmother settled in South Melbourne after completing their sentences in Tassie. The family now has 6 generations of Swans supporters. My sister and I went every week to South games through the mid-60s, watching Skilton at his peak but never winning much (other than Brownlows) until 1970. I was in the (still record) crowd at the 1970 first semi and was devastated when we lost after leading at half-time. My dear departed dad watched '05 on a telly in someone's kitchen in Ireland. It was a replay and he already knew the result but he still got really nervous. The whole family greeted him (and Mum) at Tullamarine on their return a few weeks later, with banners and scarves and a rousing rendition of "Cheer, cheer". He saw us beat the Hawks in '12 as well. He never got to go in '33 as he was considered too young (at 11). I was there at the G in '05 and '12 with my son and my sister, memories that will last a lifetime for all of us. Tradition is made up of stories like this.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post

Did it ever. It is unbearable. I remember me and a bunch of people around us screaming "blow the @@@@ing siren" for that last minute
    or so, which I didn't hear because of the pandemonium, and then briefly wondering why Mrs Tigers was hugging the bloke sitting
    next to her.
    I blame Channel 10 for having the 5 minute warning. No one knew how much time was remaining. I was at the game listening to the radio and they kept saying less than a minute remaining but it lasted 5 minutes!!

Veterans List
    Another reason I follow the Swans is because Tom Papley, the grandson of club legend Max Papley plays for us. What better reason. Hang on, what's that I hear.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Another reason I follow the Swans is because Tom Papley, the grandson of club legend Max Papley plays for us. What better reason. Hang on, what's that I hear.
    Wha ... wha ... what about Jeff Bray??

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Welcome Giulio 🙂
    Thanks, Mel. I was looking for a 'Introduce yourself' section on RWO. Not finding one, I thought I'd introduce myself here (begging pardon from the Mods for breaking relevance for this thread):-

Hello RWO’ers. I thought I’d tell you my story of how I became a Swans supporter. I guess you could call me an accidental Swans supporter. I was quite young, perhaps 7 or 8 (I can’t remember. This is more than 50 years ago!). A bread company had a promotion running where for 3 bread wrappers and $1.00 – this was a time when one cent bought four lollies from the local shop - a VFL footy club jumper could be sent to you.

I thought I’d follow a footy team. Most other boys around my age could be seen kicking a footy, and being young and impressionable, I needed a jumper. I had no idea which team to follow, so I took a look at the footy ladder and saw that Collingwood were on top. I asked my Mum if I could have a Collingwood jumper (gasp)!

A few weeks later a parcel arrived for me. I unwrapped the parcel to reveal a South Melbourne jumper. I asked my Mum whether they sent me the wrong jumper, and she said no, it was the right jumper. She explained that when nominating the jumper, she forgot which club I wanted and decided that South Melbourne was the jumper of choice. The colours of the jumper matched the colours of her national flag (she was Polish). Ever since then, I’ve followed the Swans.

I’ve so many memories of following the Swans. From the grim, marginally survivable days of relocation to Sydney to the Edelsten era, with the Swanettes and the pink helicopters. Thirty goal games under Tom Hafey with messrs. Williams, Healey, Ironmonger, et. al. To the grim nineties where from memory, we only won one game in 1993, to a gradual rebuild and on to two more premierships and the present day.

And don’t we have some exciting youngsters! I’ve got a sense of destiny with this group, and I think we can go far. Here’s to some exciting times ahead!

welcome Giulio
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    welcome Giulio
    Thanks, Auntie

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    That’s an awesome introduction Giulio. A big fat welcome, and your mother was a wise woman.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Warming the Bench
    Welcome Giulio... from another Polish Swans supporter....

Great story!

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Link to the full replay on the website (rather than app): AAMI Community Series Match Replay: Sydney v North Melbourne.

The old link I posted doesn't work because they have taken down the old incomplete video and replaced it with a complete one.
    It's working!!! Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

And welcome to the fold Giulio! I would have thought Giulio is more Italian than Polish - but maybe your Dad had a say?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast