Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do YOU support the Swans?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I remember the Swanettes vaguely as being big-haired, old women (hey, I was only five when I started going to the games) and asking dad why the women only got to dance while the men got to play footy.
    I have a poster of the Swannettes, massive frizzy hairdos, pre-printed signatures (such celebs), team fixture at the bottom. Might be worth a pretty penny now

Blog Entries
    There was one of these threads from a long time ago on RWO.
    Can't find it ATM. Will keep looking.

I grew up in Sydney, and went to my first games at the SCG in the early/mid 80's.

I was coaxed into supporting St.Kilda by my grandparents/father at a young age.
    Still young, my mother convinced me to swap to Essendon.
    Then in 1975 I selected North Melb because my best friend convinced me, and they had just won the flag. I was 7 at this point.
    Soon after I chose South Melbourne as my team.
    I have no idea why - probably killed off those brain cells, but it was my choice for the first time.
    Went through the relocation to Sydney, which I always supported (even though the AFL promised Vic fans that every Sydney game would be broadcast live into Vic and that didn't last long)
    Went to the 2005 GF, which was amazing, especially after following them through the cellar dweller days.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I have a poster of the Swannettes, massive frizzy hairdos, pre-printed signatures (such celebs), team fixture at the bottom. Might be worth a pretty penny now
    I'm not sure if they would get past Occupational Health and Safety now? You'd think that a swinging stiletto could do some serious damage to the inattentive. Or perhaps to the too attentive?

swanettes.jpg

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I remember that game well. My Swans obsessed Dad was there that day sitting next to none other than the great Gordon Coventry.......and with minutes to go and the Swans still needing three goals to win, Gordon leant over to Dad and whispered "South are going to win this" and my Dad said "You're kidding aren't you Gordon?". Gordon replied with a smile, "Just keep watching.".......Stevie Hoffman went crazy, Gordon was right and my Dad was euphoric....his best day at the footy ever! Great thread by the way and therein that last story lies the reason I barrack for the Swans, my Dad. Mum barracked for the Cats, so I've always had a soft spot for the Catters....which I'm comfortable with as I see Geelong as a sort of Victorian version of our great club, ethical, proud, respectful and whose teams play the game as it should be played.
    IIRC we beat both Carlton and Geelong by big margins at the Lake Oval in 1970. Exciting stuff for fans starved of success.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm not sure if they would get past Occupational Health and Safety now? You'd think that a swinging stiletto could do some serious damage to the inattentive. Or perhaps to the too attentive?

swanettes.jpg
    Take a look a the kid in the Swans jumper just beyond the last Swannette, & the look awe (or is it horror) on the fave of the person above the last Swannette's thigh

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Take a look a the kid in the Swans jumper just beyond the last Swannette, & the look awe (or is it horror) on the fave of the person above the last Swannette's thigh
    "Did you see that brilliant goal by Capper?"
    "Capper was playing, was he? Didn't really notice."

Though I'm a little bit disappointed that I can't spot a young Kenny Williams. It seems like it's round about his spot.

Blog Entries
    Because the Brumbies are rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    There was one of these threads from a long time ago on RWO.
    Can't find it ATM. Will keep looking.

I grew up in Sydney, and went to my first games at the SCG in the early/mid 80's.
    It was in the sandpit. I remember reading some of it one day - had a lot of great stories and was a pretty long thread. The threads there now stop at 2011.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

It's in my blood.

5th generation. Fathers fathers fathers father went for them. Originally my great great grandfather settled in Port Melbourne. Suppose South Melbourne was close enough to go for them in the VFL. Whereas Port in the VFA. Relocated to Sydney before I was born so it's never been a big deal to me. In fact, I support the swans even more because I support the games growth. And besides, nowadays, with globalization, cheap flights and whatnot, it's probably quicker to travel to Sydney via Avalon airport than it is to travel from one side of Melbourne to the other. So playing in a different city isn't as a big deal as it used to be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post

swanettes.jpg
    I remember one day one of the girls cartwheeled off their platform.
    Now that was a highlight!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    It was in the sandpit. I remember reading some of it one day - had a lot of great stories and was a pretty long thread. The threads there now stop at 2011.
    That might be why I can't find it.
    Killed off the sandpit years ago when we were having issues with DB size.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast