Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 5 v Richmond at the Adelaide Oval

Senior Player

Rd 5 v Richmond at the Adelaide Oval

IN: Fox, Gould, Sheldrick
    OUT: McCartins, Cunningham.

Surely Gould is making his debut. If he's overlooked for Melican then it's hard to see him having an AFL career with us.

Fox and Rampe have massive jobs on Riewoldt and Lynch respectively.

Cunningham cannot be sustained; let him win some ball in the VFL to try to keep the reserves afloat. Time to unleash the wombat.

McInerney and Stephens are on notice. Neither winning contested ball or tackling well. The lack of wing depth is keeping them in. I reckon Hall-Kahan and Warner, right- and left-footers respectively, are shadowing them each. Shame there was no reserves game this week.

Senior Player
    Melican is injured so the only kpd options are Gould and Francis with a left fielder being Edwards who is as green as.

Seems there will be 4 changes. The McCartins, Buddy managed and Cunningham dropped.

I think Gould and Francis are no brainers.

HHK, the wombat and Warner are pushing for selection. Roberts has been disadvantaged by having played a full game in over a month !! He may not get a gig for this reason.

Who knows what they will decide between the 4 choices.HHK may be a sensible replacement for Buddy because he is a versatile tallish player. Its a toss up between the other 3 to replace Cunningham because of their different roles and abilities. However the most like for like would be Warner.

Having said that, I might be completely wrong.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Melican is injured so the only kpd options are Gould and Francis with a left fielder being Edwards who is as green as.

Seems there will be 4 changes. The McCartins, Buddy managed and Cunningham dropped.

HHK, the wombat and Warner are pushing for selection. Roberts has been disadvantaged by having played a full game in over a month !! He may not get a gig for this reason.

Who knows what they will decide between the 4 choices.HHK may be a sensible replacement for Buddy because he is a versatile tallish player. Its a toss up between the other 3 to replace Cunningham because of their different roles and abilities. However the most like for like would be Warner.

Great post. Will be interesting to see what we do. Side has been very settled for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post

Agree with the outs. There's never going to be a better time to bring in Gould and Francis than this game.

Fox and Wombat should be the other 2 ins, with HHK possibly the sub.

We don't need a 3rd tall forward. We have plenty of good marking forwards as it is. We just need to get them into the game more.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    IN: Fox, Gould, Sheldrick
    OUT: McCartins, Cunningham.

Surely Gould is making his debut. If he's overlooked for Melican then it's hard to see him having an AFL career with us.

Fox and Rampe have massive jobs on Riewoldt and Lynch respectively.

Cunningham cannot be sustained; let him win some ball in the VFL to try to keep the reserves afloat. Time to unleash the wombat.

McInerney and Stephens are on notice. Neither winning contested ball or tackling well. The lack of wing depth is keeping them in. I reckon Hall-Kahan and Warner, right- and left-footers respectively, are shadowing them each. Shame there was no reserves game this week.
    Tom Lynch is out, which is helpful. Richmond Tigers get injury added to insult as fracture sidelines star forward Tom Lynch

Apparently Lynch has a fractured foot, so the Gould/Francis inclusions have a little less pressure to deal with, should they happen.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Beat me by 15 seconds with this news!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

On the veteran's list
    For those wanting wholesale changes to the team, unless you want to concede next week’s game, there’s nothing much in the ressies to pick from in terms of AFL experience. All our fringe players have been moved on. With the injuries to Hickey, Reid, Clarke, Melican Wicks, how many players do we have to slot in without throwing them to the wolves. Francis has probably the most experience but has never played with us. Sheldrick and Roberts have played one proper game each, selectors won’t look at McLean in the present situation when we’re defenders down. Gould has shown nothing to suggest he’s good enough. If you can’t dominate in the ressies after three years training at the highest level, there’s nothing to suggest you will suddenly be able to do the job in the big league.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    For those wanting wholesale changes to the team, unless you want to concede next week’s game, there’s nothing much in the ressies to pick from in terms of AFL experience. All our fringe players have been moved on. With the injuries to Hickey, Reid, Clarke, Melican Wicks, how many players do we have to slot in without throwing them to the wolves. Francis has probably the most experience but has never played with us. Sheldrick and Roberts have played one proper game each, selectors won’t look at McLean in the present situation when we’re defenders down. Gould has shown nothing to suggest he’s good enough. If you can’t dominate in the ressies after three years training at the highest level, there’s nothing to suggest you will suddenly be able to do the job in the big league.
    I have to disagree with this assessment.

We are down 2 key defenders for at least 1 week and probably a lot longer for Paddy. Gould has played well in the reserves the past couple of seasons. It's hard to judge him on this season because our VFL back line is so inexperienced. He was voted our best VFL player last year. If not now, when?

We recruited Francis for just such an occasion. He's been playing forward in the reserves, but played mostly in defence in the pre-season. We have Fox back in the side, so we don't really have to bring Francis in along with Gould, but Richmond will play Riewoldt and a very tall Ryan, so we will need some height in the back line, although both Gould and Francis are not very tall for key defenders.

Sheldrick would get a senior call up with most clubs. I have no reservations about him playing AFL footy. HHK and Roberts have the talent and have to start somewhere. Except for the super players, like Nick Daicos, most players will go through a period of initiation into the big leagues. If you don't play, then you never get experience. Lack of experience can't be a reason for not playing, else no one would ever play a first game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Spot on. Gould probably get a gig this week but not necessarily. At least Francis has performed at senior level. Weird how some posters refer to Gould as some untapped treasure.

Whilst not surprised by the fan reactions, it is hardly game over because we have sucked in Rounds 3 and 4. We have all year to get the team playing better and if we make another prelim nobody will care about these early season results.

I also you have to bank some miracle losses to weigh the miracle wins - after the siren classics can’t all go one way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I have to disagree with this assessment.

We are down 2 key defenders for at least 1 week and probably a lot longer for Paddy. Gould has played well in the reserves the past couple of seasons. It's hard to judge him on this season because our VFL back line is so inexperienced. He was voted our best VFL player last year. If not now, when?

We recruited Francis for just such an occasion. He's been playing forward in the reserves, but played mostly in defence in the pre-season. We have Fox back in the side, so we don't really have to bring Francis in along with Gould, but Richmond will play Riewoldt and a very tall Ryan, so we will need some height in the back line, although both Gould and Francis are not very tall for key defenders.

Sheldrick would get a senior call up with most clubs. I have no reservations about him playing AFL footy. HHK and Roberts have the talent and have to start somewhere. Except for the super players, like Nick Daicos, most players will go through a period of initiation into the big leagues. If you don't play, then you never get experience. Lack of experience can't be a reason for not playing, else no one would ever play a first game.
    Agree, especially about Gould, who I think has played many excellent games and has been unlucky not to have debuted. Of course, VFL form might not translate into AFL form, but if I remember rightly, Gould has shown better reserves form than Aliir ever did. Although Aliir was a bit strange, in that I often thought that he looked better, when he was playing with better players.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast