Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lies, damned lies and statistics

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I saw this on twitter:

Players averaging 30+ disp / 2+ goals in a season

1968 Bob Skilton
    2017 Patrick Dangerfield
    How good was Bobby? A freaking legend......way ahead of his time!

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Yeah but I'm not sure you should include so if those "records" as the VFA was pretty big at the turn of last century & a lot of those lengthy gaps between games were due to either crossing from the VFL to the VFA or WWI interrupted careers
    Yep. The players ahead of him generally missed games between 1910-20, which I assume are at least partly war related. There were a few in the 1930s and into the 40s (although a couple returned in the early 40s). He would be the longest since 1944.

In any case, it's a remarkable achievement. It would have to be the longest injury layoff you would think.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    What was the biggest loss by a side that had more scoring shots?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Yep. The players ahead of him generally missed games between 1910-20, which I assume are at least partly war related. There were a few in the 1930s and into the 40s (although a couple returned in the early 40s). He would be the longest since 1944.

In any case, it's a remarkable achievement. It would have to be the longest injury layoff you would think.
    The top seven players as far as time between VFL/AFL games (and all missed more than 9 years).

1. Syd Barker - spent 13 years in the VFA with North Melbourne between VFL games in 1908 and 1921

2. Ted Fisher - not sure what happened between his single game with StKilda (1907) and 10 years later playing 4 games with Richmond (1918) though he did serve in WW1

3. Bill Twomey - allowed 10 years to pass between his final stint with Collingwood (1922) and resuming with Hawthorn (1933) during which he pursed an athletic career (winning a Stawell Gift in 1924)

4. Harry Britter - had his career with Geelong (1914) and then Geelong (1924) interrupted for just under 10 years when he enlisted for WW1 in 1915

5. Bert Atkins - just under 10 years between his last game for South (1908) and resuming with the Saints (1918). Although his hiatus spanned WW1, he actually played with Essendon Association in the VFA from 1909-1917

6. Billy Walsh - played 3 games for Melbourne in 1934 and returned to the VFL in 1944 for a single game with Fitzroy. In between he played with Preston in the VFA

7. Ernest Cazaly - brother of our Roy Cazaly, had a two game VFL career with the Saints, his debut in 1910, and his second and final game in just over 9 years later 1919. Not sure what happened in between (except for WW1 & the StKilda football club did go into recess from 1916-1917).

I gave up at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    What was the biggest loss by a side that had more scoring shots?
    Fitzroy 2.27(39) lost to Geelong 19.8(122)

The top seven players as far as time between VFL/AFL games (and all missed more than 9 years).

1. Syd Barker - spent 13 years in the VFA with North Melbourne between VFL games in 1908 and 1921

2. Ted Fisher - not sure what happened between his single game with StKilda (1907) and 10 years later playing 4 games with Richmond (1918) though he did serve in WW1

3. Bill Twomey - allowed 10 years to pass between his final stint with Collingwood (1922) and resuming with Hawthorn (1933) during which he pursed an athletic career (winning a Stawell Gift in 1924)

4. Harry Britter - had his career with Geelong (1914) and then Geelong (1924) interrupted for just under 10 years when he enlisted for WW1 in 1915

5. Bert Atkins - just under 10 years between his last game for South (1908) and resuming with the Saints (1918). Although his hiatus spanned WW1, he actually played with Essendon Association in the VFA from 1909-1917

6. Billy Walsh - played 3 games for Melbourne in 1934 and returned to the VFL in 1944 for a single game with Fitzroy. In between he played with Preston in the VFA

7. Ernest Cazaly - brother of our Roy Cazaly, had a two game VFL career with the Saints, his debut in 1910, and his second and final game in just over 9 years later 1919. Not sure what happened in between (except for WW1 & the StKilda football club did go into recess from 1916-1917).

I gave up at this point
    Wow! You do have a good memory!

- - - Updated - - -

I've watched Swans games that felt like that. Must be maddening as a fan to see your team get thrashed in those circumstances.

Senior Player

What year was that?!!
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post

What year was that?!!

I forgot to mention...minimum 10 games, which knocks out Rampe who has only played 8. Reg has been good the past few weeks but has had a slow start to the year.

So no to both.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    4. Which current club has played the most games since their last draw?
    Better make that the Kangaroos, as they were back in R3 2003, as of today!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Here is something interesting I discovered while trawling through one-point games.

Adelaide have only lost by 1 point four times. Three of those losses were to Fremantle at Subiaco between 1998 and 2007.

Gold Coast have never played a game decided by 1 point. GWS have never won a game by one point but have lost two.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    After today's consecutive 104-point loss for Freo, I went exploring that statistic.

The only other team to lose by identical 100+ margins in consecutive rounds: Brisbane Bears, by 101 in rounds 19/20, 1991.

Three teams share a "biggest identical losing margin in consecutive rounds": Carlton, North Melbourne and Port Adelaide (38).

GWS have never lost by identical margins in consecutive rounds (but have drawn).

Gold Coast have never recorded identical margins, losing or winning, in consecutive rounds.

Next largest identical consecutive losing margin: Sydney! 92 in rounds 15, 17, 1993.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast