Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 17 GWS V Sydney. Spotless Stadium 19.25 pm.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Had a look at the it was a clear eph off you something something but I'm not sure it was aimed at Macca.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I didn't think it was aimed at McVeigh, though McVeigh, with his back turned, must have initially thought it was

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Reid: 3 disposals, 1 behind. An inexcusable disgraceful performance. He should be dropped to the 2's. Nick Smith's continued poor form this season is also a worry. Otherwise a fantastic win and against a top 4 team, our first this year.
    Reid looked hobbled from early on, and Longmire confirmed afterwards that he had twingeda groin. I agree Smith looked off it.

Cracking game by Buddy. Great to see his set shot kicking has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I thought it was a decent observation. A number of their goals were individual brilliance again the run of play. We looked the much smarter team.
    I thought GWS were dangerous because they could score out of nowhere from individual brilliance. There was two snaps from the boundary, Greene quickly snapping out of stoppage and Scully carrying the ball through the middle with pace before kicking the goal.

I was never comfortable. Even though we were playing well and mostly in control, I was still worried they could kick a few quick goals.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Record crowd for the stadium. 21,000 there. Could anyone who was at the ground estimate what percentage were Swans supporters? We sounded louder on TV but it might've been because we had more to cheer.
    It's always a record when we boost their numbers GWS have a pretty vocal presence on the members side, but it looked pretty red and white on the Churchill side. Given that they usually get ten or eleven thousand, I suppose it could have been around 50/50. Difficult to estimate.

Thought that was a pretty good win, didn't get everything right but did what mattered. Kept thinking we were going to kick away but GWS really hang in there, always needs a full 4 quarters of effort. Papley vs Shaw was pretty entertaining and the Buddy bombs from either side were something to behold.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I thought GWS were dangerous because they could score out of nowhere from individual brilliance. There was two snaps from the boundary, Greene quickly snapping out of stoppage and Scully carrying the ball through the middle with pace before kicking the goal.

I was never comfortable. Even though we were playing well and mostly in control, I was still worried they could kick a few quick goals.
    Yeah, Kelly kicked a couple like that too. That one from the tight angle late in the second was a beauty.

Really enjoyable win, tough and gritty and full of character.

Really nice seeing so many kids wearing the GWS colours. Some nice GWS families but also some absolute ignorant idiots. Know we are not perfect but with the general resentment they have to GWS down there (we are immune from it a bit but they are despised) but if some of the knobs around me tonight carry on like that at a Prelim or Granny in Melbourne I seriously think there will be widespread violence at the G, especially if it is against a traditional Melbourne club.

Loved the fact how they tried to take the piss out of Sweet Caroline, yeah right as if it is going to wind us up idiots, we hate it too

I do think there is a genuine dislike between the two clubs and their fans growing and I quite like that, of course it is just so easy when they have the two biggest grubs in the game in Stevie J and Greene in their side. It's growing into a proper rivalry now, I wasn't aware of any of the "Battle of the Bridge" rubbish either which is great if they have dropped that.

I wonder if Reid's groin injury was a result of his stupid round the corner shot on goal nearly directly in front

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Really enjoyable win, tough and gritty and full of character.

Really nice seeing so many kids wearing the GWS colours. Some nice GWS families but also some absolute ignorant idiots. Know we are not perfect but with the general resentment they have to GWS down there (we are immune from it a bit but they are despised) but if some of the knobs around me tonight carry on like that at a Prelim or Granny in Melbourne I seriously think there will be widespread violence at the G, especially if it is against a traditional Melbourne club.

Loved the fact how they tried to take the piss out of Sweet Caroline, yeah right as if it is going to wind us up idiots, we hate it too

I do think there is a genuine dislike between the two clubs and their fans growing and I quite like that, of course it is just so easy when they have the two biggest grubs in the game in Stevie J and Greene in their side. It's growing into a proper rivalry now, I wasn't aware of any of the "Battle of the Bridge" rubbish either which is great if they have dropped that.
    I haven't seen the game yet due to a Netflix binge date with my wife.

Why was Sweet Caroline playing for a GWS home game? Do GWS do Sweet Caroline for their home games?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    I wonder if Reid's groin injury was a result of his stupid round the corner shot on goal nearly directly in front
    If it's a soft tissue injury for a Reid boy you triple the recovery time compared to any other player.

It was great to win last night and we are now in a great position for the finals. I, for one, doubted we'd make it after our start. I don't know that makes me a naysayer or doomsdayer but I'm happy to be wrong. However, the Saints game is still crucial as a win will put a nice gap between us and them and almost knocks them out of the race.

With both Reid, Rohan, and Tippett likely unavailable to play forward next week, the obvious in will be Hayward.

I'm not sure if Robinson had a bit of a shut down role on Haynes or Wilson - it was hard to tell on tele. If he had this defensive role then he did ok but my first impression is that he hasn't shown enough in the last two weeks to keep his spot. Has anyone got word on Florent's injury?

At this very early stage, my initial changes would be:

Out: Reid, Rohan, Robinson
    In: Hayward, Florent, Dawson

Edit: I just watched Longmire's presser (BTW, how boring is our coach) and it seems Rohan may be ok so...

Out: Reid, Robinson
    In: Hayward, Dawson
    Last edited by AB Swannie; 16th July 2017 at 09:04 AM.

Veterans List
    Job done but GWS have a long injury list of best 22 players so that's a sobering thought. Always seemed to have their measure but they are so talent laden they kept pegging us back out of nothing plays. Nice to beat them again, glad Toby Stupid Face was kept quieter after his initial burst.

Next week it looks like Rohan is ok but Reid is doubtful. Robinson had a lot of tackles but just doesn't get the ball enough or have a high skill level so must be on shaky ground. At home so I'd bring in Dawson who gives us something different up forward and Hayward who brings pace, skill and x factor.

They started to play Sweet Caroline as a Gee Up , then the record 'broke' and they switched to some raucous number which I didn't recognise .
    It was an official record crowd so they were excited by it .
    Everyone I saw was well behaved , it was like a big country town game.
    The result could well have been reversed . Our defence was manic on the ground and at the stoppages to deny them the win .
    Cameron may well have got them over the line however our strong form and momentum has the boys playing with plenty of confidence and grunt.
    I have no idea how someone can dob a ball like Buddy , he puts it into orbit. He's played a lot of footy and paces himself between outputs.
    Pretty relaxed about it all or so it appears .

GWS fleetness of foot is fantastic, they can all run like hares and they shimmy and swerve all over the place . I like the way they move and hit the next target and the next.

The barriers the Swans create though are impressive.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    They started to play Sweet Caroline as a Gee Up , then the record 'broke' and they switched to some raucous number which I didn't recognise .
    It was Queen - Don't Stop Me Now - and so, so, so much better than bloody SC!

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    I suspect it is the reason why he tried that stupid around the corner kick.