Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 17 GWS V Sydney. Spotless Stadium 19.25 pm.

What's O.P.?
    My first thought was osteoporosis. Hope that's not the case

Hanners near the end of the game kind of gave up when on the mark. Like he was over it, or maybe over some confining injury.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    What's O.P.?
    My first thought was osteoporosis. Hope that's not the case

Hanners near the end of the game kind of gave up when on the mark. Like he was over it, or maybe over some confining injury.
    I think osteitis pubis.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Job done but GWS have a long injury list of best 22 players so that's a sobering thought. Always seemed to have their measure but they are so talent laden they kept pegging us back out of nothing plays. Nice to beat them again, glad Toby Stupid Face was kept quieter after his initial burst.

Next week it looks like Rohan is ok but Reid is doubtful. Robinson had a lot of tackles but just doesn't get the ball enough or have a high skill level so must be on shaky ground. At home so I'd bring in Dawson who gives us something different up forward and Hayward who brings pace, skill and x factor.

GWS Injury list looks impressive but when you actually investigate it a bit more you see this;

Buntime & Kennedy are gone for the year and like our position with AJ for a long time can't be considered anyway. So we take them from the equation. If they are not going to be able to return this year they are not list depth until next year.

Greene, Johnson & Williams all played so take them off.

That leaves Coniglio & griffin as definitely best 22 who are still injured.

Developing players Hopper, Taranto & Himmelberg as developing players. Although I swear I saw the number 14(Taranto) playing in the reserves.

Mohr & Reid are depth players.

Findlayson is not probably AFL level at this time.

Tiziani played reserves and that will be his lot this year as the older players return.

As for the swans Robbo did the job asked of him as a defensive forward and even managed a goal so I think horse will be pleased with his game.

If Reid doesn't get up for next week we have a few options. We have to be certain we don't isolate Bud as the only tall forward. That is a disaster as the opposition just set three on him and don't worry about the consequences. If we do that we have to make sure we have numbers at Bud's feet. Too many times that spare man or spare men are not anywhere near Bud when the ball is delivered long. But the other option is to be smart and use the free players.

But the alternative is to have another tall come in. The options are, remember we are looking for a forward not a back, so Marsh is not an option what's more his set shots are diabolical;

Aliir -- Has been playing a utility role in the reserves and is starting to kick very good goals. He ticks all boxes, he is a key position player & is now playing forward

Rose -- Has been playing very well in the reserves. He is not a key position player but is a handy forward. The only doubt is whether he can replicate his reserves form in the seniors. The other doubt is is workrate, he can be lazy.

Dawson -- Can play forward and rests there in the reserves and kicks goals. The advantage is that he will give you an extra mid who is huge for a mid at 191cm. He is a very good kick so if we can give him the ball he will kick goals or deliver to a teammate. He is more a third tall but would not be out of place as a key leading forward who can also take a huge grab.

Hayward -- He is a very good goal kicker. But cannot play the key forward role because at AFL level he is just too light at this stage. But he does add that X factor. He took a really great contested mark between two opponents yesterday and kicked a very good goal.

That's all folks. Take your pick on the type of team you want to play saints next week.

By the way if Smithy goes on a short holiday, can't see that happening as he has no form, then marsh, who has not played that well, would probably come in as Murray (Reserves Back Pocket) is only a Rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think osteitis pubis.
    yes.
    Osteitis Pubis is a common cause of chronic groin pain in the football codes. It is an overuse injury. That is, it is caused by repeated trauma rather than a specific incident. However, it is not uncommon for a specific incident to trigger the symptoms.
    Osteitis Pubis

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    I haven't seen the game yet due to a Netflix binge date with my wife.
    Says it all really....

Veterans List
    To clear up previous posts, the Best 22 missing for GWS who may come back for them by finals, Cameron, Griffin, Deledio, Coniglio, Hopper, Taranto, although a couple of these are likely to not be ready. So some extra firepower for GWS at the pointy end.

OP can be a lingering debilitating complaint, hope the rumour isn't true as no leeway to rest Hanners now.

Am I spending way too much time checking the ladder ? Certainly way more than Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Says it all really....
    It was good fun mate. Spending quality time with the wife is the most important thing. We caught up with some Suits and started watching this series called The Handmaids Tale.

I've just finished reviewing the 1st half. The pressure is incredible from the Swans, the Swans look very well drilled by coach Longmire and Buddy provides that extra class. Also very pleasing to see K. Jack playing so well. He looks like he is running on top of the ground.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I thought Naismith's game was very good. No doubt he diluted Mummy's influence around the ground. Hit outs were; Naismith 47 Mummy 51. Contested well all game and has a big tank. Not a great stats getter but does his job. Pity our mids couldn't take advantage at centre bounces. Ward was ferocious at those contests and it bemuses me why our blokes let him go first or couldn't get there first.
    Agree on Naismith, many of Mummy's HOs would have been vs Towers or Parker (or indeed no one at all!).

What's people's views on the one ruckman policy? Is it working? Is it sustainable? I feel uncomfortable about it but we do keep winning.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Agree on Naismith, many of Mummy's HOs would have been vs Towers or Parker (or indeed no one at all!).

What's people's views on the one ruckman policy? Is it working? Is it sustainable? I feel uncomfortable about it but we do keep winning.
    There are several less-experienced players I would not want to lose. Naismith is one of them.
    If he picks up an injury , that's a real problem for us : we can cover the loss of Parker or Hannerbery or Heeney more easily.
    Tippett will have to come back in when he's fit , but he should be second-fiddle to Sam.

And while I'm here - Happy Birthday , Sam !

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    What is that supposed to mean?
    Apparently he only has one ankle as he hurt his groin on Saturday. Nervous wait for Sydney Swans ruckman Kurt Tippett after injury scare

"Tippett has been troubled by an ankle issue for much of the year but this time it was groin tightness which brought an early finish to his night... Last year's grand finalists do not believe Tippett's injury is significant but it was enough of a concern for them to pull the pin on his game shortly into the second half. Tippett had been slated to play 80 minutes � the equivalent of close to three quarters � in his first game at any level in nearly a month."

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    A Herald Sun poll also demonstrated that Rance was the "GOAT" fullback. He led the poll with 32% of the vote ahead of modern day greats Scarlett and Silvagni.

As our Canberra residents would understand, newspaper opinion polls are the only truth and Rance won the "GOAT" fullback poll.
    Is that true, or did you read it in the Herald-Sun?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I heard from someone well connected that the AFL have officially given us "fairy tail" status (seriously) and the umpiring reflected that.

Play this right and we could go all the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Giants have a flawed game plan. They win almost all stats except tackling, yet were never in the game. It's not just injuries, although having to play musungu is telling. They are wasting there list at the moment.
    Come on Barry, come clean. Your real name is Cliff and you're from Clematis. Am I right or am I right?