Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 18 V St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    So you've got a Docterate of Philosophy ?
    Sadly they just seem to hand those things out these days ...
    IMG_2250.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Of I'm not a doctor and don't know anything about OP, or if resting him would even help.
    You're in good company, even the doctors and physios can't consistently manage this condition, despite the training & knowledge.

Unfortunately the pubic symphysis in one of the integral structures that (among other functions including allowing pelvic distortion during childbirth) provide some shock absorbing capacity to the pelvic ring during gait, running and kicking activities. However, once inflamed, it is very difficult to rest the pubic symphysis, as it's stressed even during normal gait (and compounded by higher impact activities). Moreover, true osteitis pubis is ideally treated early (analgesics, anti-inflams and managing physical workloads - the latter is particularly non-conducive for elite athletes) - the longer it is neglected the harder it is to treat.

If there is to be a positive, it might be that vague central pelvic symptoms were often diagnosed as OP when it was a particularly fashionable diagnosis, and there was a high spate of them. I suspect that many were perhaps not. However, over recent years, there have been fewer incidents of OP (which I believe is potentially attributable to more accurate diagnosis - with imaging and symptom interpretation).

Suffice to say a poorly manage OP can be career ending. Even a well managed case of OP can take months to recover (depending on severity, acuteness and effectiveness of rehab of course). But OP management of elite athletes has certainly improved IMO (for what that's worth).

Hopefully, if it is OP, they have got onto it early for a better outcome.
    Last edited by goswannies; 20th July 2017 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    So you've got a Doctorate of Philosophy ?
    Don't knock philosophy! I don't have a PhD (in philosophy or any other discipline), but I did study quite a few subjects at uni. You have to read heaps to avoid blathering nonsense or just repeating stuff that has already been said better elsewhere....ok, so maybe it did prepare me well for the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    You're in good company, even the doctors and physios can't consistently manage this condition, despite the training & knowledge.
    Thanks for the info. Very interesting!

IMO (for what that's worth).
    Mate your medical opinion is immeasurable. We are lucky you have you on this site and I appreciate your input. Thanks Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Mate your medical opinion is immeasurable. We are lucky you have you on this site and I appreciate your input. Thanks Doc
    Sorry, gotta pull you up there. Not a doc ('though there is at least one who posts here) ... just a physio I'm afraid
    Last edited by goswannies; 20th July 2017 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Don't knock philosophy! I don't have a PhD (in philosophy or any other discipline),
    Technically a PhD is in philosophy regardless of the discipline in which it is obtained (except the type that Eddie was gifted ... that's an "honorary" one)

Sorry, gotta pull you up there. Not a doc ('though there is at least one who posts here) ... just a physio I'm afraid
    As the eminent 'Dr' Alan Harper once said "Nonetheless, I am a healer"

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=goswannies;732620]Technically a PhD is in philosophy regardless of the discipline in which it is obtained (except the type that Eddie was gifted ... that's an "honorary" one)[/QUOTE

I was hoping the McGuire pic was photoshopped.
    Imagine how the PhD's who actually earned the honorific feel about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    As the eminent 'Dr' Alan Harper once said "Nonetheless, I am a healer"
    Ahhhh "Dr" Harper chiropractic graduate from the esteemed University of Guadalajara

[QUOTE=royboy42;732630]
    Technically a PhD is in philosophy regardless of the discipline in which it is obtained (except the type that Eddie was gifted ... that's an "honorary" one)[/QUOTE

I was hoping the McGuire pic was photoshopped.
    Imagine how the PhD's who actually earned the honorific feel about that!
    Not photoshopped, and the discussion of honorary doctorates is really for another forum. There are an abundance of lengthy threads on this topic. But 3-10 years of hard, poorly paid slog & stress might not be impressed by getting one for simply doing ones job. Some PhD graduates choose not to use the title. Fortunately many institutions decree that an honorary doctorate does not entitle the title of Dr to be used.

Back on topic

I've been trying to predict what will be announced at 6:25 tonight, and I really have no idea.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    I've been trying to predict what will be announced at 6:25 tonight, and I really have no idea.
    It won't be Tippett, you can't play a guy who came off at half time last week injured and hasn't played a full game for 6-7 weeks. Horse just giving the media something to write.

Either no changes or Dawson in for someone.

Reid does so many jobs for the Swans: including rucking and dropping back into defence for last 5 mins, he'll be difficult to replace.

I really hope Sinkers doesn't reappear. Maybe Towers can do all the pinch hitting in the ruck?

I really would like to see Dawson this week if Reid or Gaz are injured.