Thread: Changes for Rnd 18 V St Kilda

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    So you've got a Docterate of Philosophy ?
    Sadly they just seem to hand those things out these days ...
    IMG_2250.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Of I'm not a doctor and don't know anything about OP, or if resting him would even help.
    You're in good company, even the doctors and physios can't consistently manage this condition, despite the training & knowledge.

Unfortunately the pubic symphysis in one of the integral structures that (among other functions including allowing pelvic distortion during childbirth) provide some shock absorbing capacity to the pelvic ring during gait, running and kicking activities. However, once inflamed, it is very difficult to rest the pubic symphysis, as it's stressed even during normal gait (and compounded by higher impact activities). Moreover, true osteitis pubis is ideally treated early (analgesics, anti-inflams and managing physical workloads - the latter is particularly non-conducive for elite athletes) - the longer it is neglected the harder it is to treat.

If there is to be a positive, it might be that vague central pelvic symptoms were often diagnosed as OP when it was a particularly fashionable diagnosis, and there was a high spate of them. I suspect that many were perhaps not. However, over recent years, there have been fewer incidents of OP (which I believe is potentially attributable to more accurate diagnosis - with imaging and symptom interpretation).

Suffice to say a poorly manage OP can be career ending. Even a well managed case of OP can take months to recover (depending on severity, acuteness and effectiveness of rehab of course). But OP management of elite athletes has certainly improved IMO (for what that's worth).

Hopefully, if it is OP, they have got onto it early for a better outcome.
    Last edited by goswannies; 20th July 2017 at 02:15 AM.