Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Newman's brother Mav on 360

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    No offence taken.

I personally couldn't care less about players' sexual persuasion but I think if we are talking acceptance then people shouldn't have to hide their sexuality and that includes players. And it filters down to members of the Gay community being able to attend games without having to hear homophobic slurs too.

I think any player who came out, and why shouldn't someone be open about their sexuality when it comes to their partner etc, would be subject to the same accusations of grandstanding that Goodesy had with calling out a lack of racial acceptance.
    Personally I'd rather the gay men of the afl get together n come out as one. There is roughly 800 players in the game n figures I just looked at are that in the community there is a conservative figure of 5% gay people so you get 40 players standing together n you'll raise awareness pretty damn quick. Then it's not some sideshow that some of the media will make it with one person. Then you'll have a lot of people take notice. Personally that's how I think the afl should have tackled the Goodes saga. The players eventually did but the horse had bolted, to little to late n now a great person could be lost to the game.

This all makes Ian Roberts the NRL player who came out in the mid nineties all the more courageous. He was an awesome player tougher than tough and came up through the South Sydney juniors, a system not noted for acceptance of anything that could be construed as effeminate. He copped plenty for doing so but he was such an outstanding player and so physically dominant that he ended up being just broadly admired. He is still revered but the NRL crowd for his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Was you really surprised? this is the country where our politicians use gay marriage as a political football.
    Frankly I think only an extreme minority care about whether someone is gay or not these days. Even in my younger days I didn't really care, infact, I always had the belief that the more gay men the better because that meant more single women ????.

To this day I still have no problem with homosexuality. The issue I have, and many people have, is with how PC BS in general is constantly shoved down our throats and moreso how those who disagree with it are treated by the hypocritically intolerant PC crowd (that includes the AFL). Just look at how Margaret Court was treated. The gay lobby were the worst offenders in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Frankly I think only an extreme minority care about whether someone is gay or not these days. Even in my younger days I didn't really care, infact, I always had the belief that the more gay men the better because that meant more single women ????.

To this day I still have no problem with homosexuality. The issue I have, and many people have, is with how PC BS in general is constantly shoved down our throats and moreso how those who disagree with it are treated by the hypocritically intolerant PC crowd (that includes the AFL). Just look at how Margaret Court was treated. The gay lobby were the worst offenders in that situation.
    PC BS!! In ten years if you say "he's to short to play key forward" you'll get people telling you that your heightist. ???????? shouldn't laugh cause it'll probably come true

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by moocher View Post
    This all makes Ian Roberts the NRL player who came out in the mid nineties all the more courageous. He was an awesome player tougher than tough and came up through the South Sydney juniors, a system not noted for acceptance of anything that could be construed as effeminate. He copped plenty for doing so but he was such an outstanding player and so physically dominant that he ended up being just broadly admired. He is still revered but the NRL crowd for his actions.
    It was a brave move by Roberts. "Revered" is right.

Not to undervalue his courage, but when you're 196 cm and 115 kg not too many people are going to be rude to you!

And on the subject of Margaret Court, I wouldn't change the name of the venue. She has a very limited understanding of the Bible, an issue wonderfully taken up by President Jed Bartlet in season 1 of The West Wing.
    Last edited by dimelb; 19th July 2017 at 11:05 PM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

You don't have a problem with homosexuality BUT...

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    You don't have a problem with homosexuality BUT...
    You can't read? Get your facts straight if you're going to attack the man.

I have no problem with homosexuality. I do have a problem with the loony left (ie, the gay lobby, the Greens, et al) that push it and the bullying manner in which they push it. Simple enough for you to understand now?

How do the loony left / gay lobby push their "agenda" exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by moocher View Post
    Hmmmm. Roberts didn't cut it with me. There are dark places in his head. You wouldn't like to be in the same room as this guy. During one game he pummelled Kieran Jack's father in a terrifying, brutal frenzy that was so horrible it left onlookers nauseous. After retirement, Gary Jack successfully sued him - $10k in an out of court settlement. Citing this bloke as some sort of gay inspiration leaves me sick to the stomach. Should have been gaoled.
    Last edited by grarmy; 20th July 2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Facts needed updating.

Damn right.

Senior Player
    You can't read? Get your facts straight if you're going to attack the man.

I have no problem with homosexuality. I do have a problem with the loony left (ie, the gay lobby, the Greens, et al) that push it and the bullying manner in which they push it. Simple enough for you to understand now?
    So to treat people with courtesy and respect makes you loony and / or leftist?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Regular in the Side

I find it very sad to read about how Margaret Court expresses being 'bullied' in the context of public debate. There is also such a pathetic irony here, notably related to some of her recent self initiated and very public comments relating to a criticism of the parenting of parents of transgender children!

In the course of her arguments she relied on analogies with the Nazis, and the use of those classic right wing conservative words of defence: "bullying" and "politically correct"

Margaret Court had a right to say whatever she wants, (and recently she sure did publically and more than once). I equally have the right to disagree with her. That does not make me a bully.

Perhaps one should view Cate McGregor's extraordinarily impassioned but very well reasoned response to Mrs Court that was broadcast on the ABC program "The Drum" on 1st June 2017. Worth a look through YouTube.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast