Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Newman's brother Mav on 360

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    This is obviously a heated and emotional topic for many.
    Please remember to follow the forum rules , mainly "play the ball not the man".
    Thanks.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The interview with Nic and Mav is now on the Swans website:

Newman brothers on AFL 360 - sydneyswans.com.au

Great viewing.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    ... "play the ball not the man".
    Thanks.
    I think this goes to the heart of why The Pride Game is so important. Sadly even now, a lot of parts of the AFL community continue to be prejudicial, bigoted, discriminatory, etc to LGBTI people. And many people not impacted by it either dont see it or arent exposed to it.

As an example, in the bay where I sit, this year new guy came to the footy sitting a couple of rows ahead of me wearing one of those new rainbow swans scarfes. In the first home game of the season he sat down with his mate (who always sat in front of me for the past few years), and was told by the lady seated next to him that his seat was taken and he couldnt sit there. I didnt think anything of it at first, as this is typical for first game attendees to get their seat number/row wrong. So he moved with his mate a couple of rows back and sat in empty seats directly behind me.

At half time, making small talk, I asked him if he found his actual seat. He said, "No that was my seat" referring to the seat he originally sat in, "she just looked at me funny when she saw my scarfe. Its just easier to move. No dramas."

I think I died a little inside when he said that.

So Pride Game will hopefully continue to elevate the issue that its important for ALL of the AFL community accept ALL people who want to part of it.

And I hope that that guy sits in his real seat on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    I think this goes to the heart of why The Pride Game is so important. Sadly even now, a lot of parts of the AFL community continue to be prejudicial, bigoted, discriminatory, etc to LGBTI people. And many people not impacted by it either dont see it or arent exposed to it.

As an example, in the bay where I sit, this year new guy came to the footy sitting a couple of rows ahead of me wearing one of those new rainbow swans scarfes. In the first home game of the season he sat down with his mate (who always sat in front of me for the past few years), and was told by the lady seated next to him that his seat was taken and he couldnt sit there. I didnt think anything of it at first, as this is typical for first game attendees to get their seat number/row wrong. So he moved with his mate a couple of rows back and sat in empty seats directly behind me.

At half time, making small talk, I asked him if he found his actual seat. He said, "No that was my seat" referring to the seat he originally sat in, "she just looked at me funny when she saw my scarfe. Its just easier to move. No dramas."

So Pride Game will hopefully continue to elevate the issue that its important for ALL of the AFL community accept ALL people who want to part of it.

Me too - don't think I could contain myself if I was on the other side of that woman ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post

Wow that is so sad . I hope that lady is there on Saturday night sitting next to him!

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    So to treat people with courtesy and respect makes you loony and / or leftist?
    In what way did they treat Margaret Court with "courtesy and respect"? If you happened to be watching TV or listening to the radio at the time the behaviour of many people was appalling. Anyone who disagrees with their opinions gets labelled a racist/homophobe/bigot/etc simply because they don't agree with their opinions instead of having a reasonable debate or simply allowing them to have differing opinions. That's certainly not courteous or respectful. It's bigoted bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Please remember to follow the forum rules , mainly "play the ball not the man".
    Thanks.
    Please explain to me after 2 people spoke about how they dislike PC BS that this then gets posted

"Terms such as PC BS and 'the loony left' have only ever been applied in a bullying context. "

And this is not classed as "playing the man"? Both people got called a bully and I know for a fact that one of them finds bullies repulsive, weak and disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Are you serious?

How do you expect people to take your post when on one hand you say you're fine with homosexuality (in the Rex Mossop sense I suspect) but on the other hand come on here, on a post that is based on tolerance and respect, and start defending Margaret Court who has almost universally offended the gay community? Or are they just being too PC for your liking?

Unbelievable.....

Probably best to take right wing posts like that to a political forum and leave it off RWO
    Thank you for proving my point.

I'm not going to further this as it really serves no purpose and detracts from the positivity of what is happening.
    This is an issue line "sex, politics and religion" now where if anything is said that doesn't follow the dictated line, words are twisted and aspersions inevitably cast.

What I would like to say is that it may have been a reasonably brave things for Newman to 'agree to' (his brother publicly coming out) as obviously there is a fairly good reason that no player has come out.
    Whatever the multiple reasons are specifically, they must be harsh enough to prevent this.
    Will be interesting to see if Newman cops anything. You assume not, but you never know.
    Could be a real door opener of sorts for a range of other players.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

At what point will this be banished to the sandpit? Or just deleted?

It's one thing to turn on each other over whether Tippett, Jones or Reid should be traded. Or whether Towers should be banished until his contract expires. Or whether ANZ sells better pretzels than the SCG.

But seriously, fighting over ????Pride Round? Isn't that the opposite of the unifying aim of ????Pride Round?

Veterans List
    I loved Mav and I loved how proud his big brother was. I love pride round.

I long for the day when people can disagree and still be respectful to each other, but sadly I think this is disappearing from society. (Probably I spend too much time on internet forums).

Didn't watch the interview, but I will say that I think all people* should be treated with courtesy and respect regardless of their sexuality, gender, race or religion.

*Collingwood players and supporters not included

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast