Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 14 - July 21-22

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Yup thats right. 250k x 3 years from afl - proven.

And then they overspent by 500k (I do think last years annual report said current 400k debt but I heard total 500k). Hence going to declare bankruptcy until AFL stepped in. Don't understand how 3 of those board members are still around the club. Must be a very good burger.
    I no fan of Baulko, but lets get the facts right.
    1. Sydney AFL did not make a payment of $250k per year to East Coast - the AFL did, and from my understanding, this goes to every team in the NEAFL
    2. Sydney AFL did payout their debt, but East Coast have to pay it back, interest free
    3. East Coast are not the only club to have a Board / Committee spend greater than their income in the hope of success - Saviour this was your club less than 10 years ago.
    4. I am disappointed the the Sydney AFL was not strategic enough to put caveats around player payments, while they still have a debt - but that is history.

If you look at the ladder position of all their teams East Coast face a decade of pain, which they brought on themselves by their approach to a having a NEAFL team, not because of the NEAFL team.

Every club has its ups and downs it just seems if you get a little success ie ECE & Syd Uni the whiners and naysayers come out just to drag them down, just for a change spend your energies on getting your club up. You will know when you are successful as they will be all over it whining whinging and generally having a spit. Footy in this town has enough problems without tearing into each other keep that for the on field games.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Gusty effort from Manly. As I understand they had 15 players aged under 20 in the Prems. They competed with Penno well for three quarters, and led at half time, only to lose concentration in the third quarter.

Other than a couple of senior guys like Lachie Kilpatrick, their core consisted of 16 and 17 year olds like Kyle Martin, Sam Wicks, Jarrod Osborne and Mitchell Rogers. There were many players from the under 19s team that has not won a game all year.

Watching the game and the coach Michael Ford, there is actually a pretty good vibe. There is an air of excitement that so many kids are getting blooded in Prems and talk about what the next couple of years might be like.

Where are all them?? Injured? Just looked at the team sheet no Armitage, Petterson, Robertson, Brassil, Koch, Weir, Benbow, Brain, Monk, Butler and Pyle??

You're right, the money doesn't come from the Sydney AFL - but there's no way every club got 250k a year. We would've been lucky to receive that much over the three years in total that ECE were in the NEAFL along with us. We certainly don't get anything near that now either. If ECE got 750k total and performed as they did, everyone involved in spending the money should be rolled up in a carpet and thrown off a bridge.

For what it's worth I don't think clubs like Southport and Ainslie that turn over millions from pokies were getting stumped up for by the AFL but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    I no fan of Baulko, but lets get the facts right.
    1. Sydney AFL did not make a payment of $250k per year to East Coast - the AFL did, and from my understanding, this goes to every team in the NEAFL

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    You're right, the money doesn't come from the Sydney AFL - but there's no way every club got 250k a year. We would've been lucky to receive that much over the three years in total that ECE were in the NEAFL along with us. We certainly don't get anything near that now either. If ECE got 750k total and performed as they did, everyone involved in spending the money should be rolled up in a carpet and thrown off a bridge.
    Student - ECE received exactly what every other NEAFL club received during their three years playing in that competition. For the uninitiated, this only involved all travel and accommodation paid for by the AFL (nothing to do with AFL Syd). That was it. No bags of cash, no gold bullions, no bonds, no shares and certainly no Bitcoins (wish i was on that wagon early).......

And Saviour, I know you are reasonably new to the AFL Sydney scene and treated like a bit of a mushroom at STG (kept in the dark and fed crap) but you may want to do some research on the history of your own club. Your club did not pay and continually refused to pay affiliation fees for years. Suggest you ask around to find out the quantum of that number. The AFL threatened many times to ban your club from finals however never followed that through much to the anger of ALL other clubs at the time. Your club also promised money (signed contracts) to coaches and players and failed to meet some of it's obligations. In fact, an ex coach and player of your club even had to involve solicitors to get what they were owed. FACT! So I suggest you have a look in your own backyard to make sure it is squeaky clean.

Note; Your club is very well run these days and your President, Coach and committee didn't have anything to do with the above. Just like the current President and board at ECE don't have anything to do with their days in NEAFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    Student - ECE received exactly what every other NEAFL club received during their three years playing in that competition. For the uninitiated, this only involved all travel and accommodation paid for by the AFL (nothing to do with AFL Syd). That was it. No bags of cash, no gold bullions, no bonds, no shares and certainly no Bitcoins (wish i was on that wagon early).......

And Saviour, I know you are reasonably new to the AFL Sydney scene and treated like a bit of a mushroom at STG (kept in the dark and fed crap) but you may want to do some research on the history of your own club. Your club did not pay and continually refused to pay affiliation fees for years. Suggest you ask around to find out the quantum of that number. The AFL threatened many times to ban your club from finals however never followed that through much to the anger of ALL other clubs at the time. Your club also promised money (signed contracts) to coaches and players and failed to meet some of it's obligations. In fact, an ex coach and player of your club even had to involve solicitors to get what they were owed. FACT! So I suggest you have a look in your own backyard to make sure it is squeaky clean.

Note; Your club is very well run these days and your President, Coach and committee didn't have anything to do with the above. Just like the current President and board at ECE don't have anything to do with their days in NEAFL.
    The mushroom reference is pretty good, well done.

I know we were a basket case in the past, but that shows how good Brendan and the committee have done. I constantly tell people how much better afl is run in sydney. My old league club is a basket case. I forget that many other afl clubs are the same.

That said, I did what you suggested and asked some questions. unlike yourself.

1. The club was to be folded by SAFL until all monies were paid at once.
    2. Having paid all monies (we didn't get an interest free loan like some) by a community minded person.
    3. That money has been paid back or close to it by the club to the individual.
    4. Interestingly never once has the club suggested or used the previous admin as a scapegoat, they just got on building the club to what it is today.
    5. I assume the money hungry coaches and players that ripped the heart of the club and went on the play for 3 to 4 other clubs in SAFL who all paid them handsomely. Again, 2 of the 4 clubs are broke or broken - Campbelltown, Balmain and your club a close 3rd.

Regular in the Side
    Saviour, that's great St George have back paid fees owing. Surely you're not Robinson Crusoe though. Which other clubs have been unfinancial and remain so? I suggest lots. Is it fair that some clubs pay but others not?
    The ECE scenario remains a nonsense topic until the whole truth is put on the table. But that's not gonna change. If I was at ECE I wouldn't offer this forum anything at all so I don't expect anyone else to either. However the league/AFL should be transparent in their involvement to everyone which they haven't. Time to let it go methinks

Fair enough. Just sucks bad governance is rewarded by the sydney afl.

If clubs want to overspend and pay mercenaries to buy a premiership, sydney afl shouldnt bail them out. Let them come last in div 1 like balmain or what ever @@@@ division campbelltown are in now.

Would be nice if Sydney AFL was proactive on these issues rather than reactionary. But I guess when you send out a finals draw that has at least 5 errors I'm probably asking for a bit much.

Fair enough. Just sucks bad governance is rewarded by the sydney afl.

If clubs want to overspend and pay mercenaries to buy a premiership, sydney afl shouldnt bail them out. Let them come last in div 1 like balmain or what ever @@@@ division campbelltown are in now.

Would be nice if Sydney AFL was proactive on these issues rather than reactionary. But I guess when you send out a finals draw that has at least 5 errors I'm probably asking for a bit much.
    Jesus you are a pretentious @@@@@.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Jesus you are a pretentious @@@@@.
    Most accurate post so far . Let me get this straight, If you promise a player money and pay them its bad governance and they are a mercenary but its alright to Promise money to players to get them from other clubs and then not pay them and they are not a mercenary? I can assure you that at least one of the clubs you mentioned are not in their current position from over paying players or going broke. And the @@@@ division they both play in is above the one you play in superstar

Have you seen me play? Im horrible.

Have you seen me play? Im horrible.
    I have, and it is true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast