Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Saints match discussion

Senior Player
    Yeah, I'd rather praise than boo. I haven't always, but now I'd rather cheer on the team and let the opposition do whatever it is they do.

I can't deny enjoying the performances of certain players from opposing teams though. In particular Jarrod Harbrow, Dayne Zorko, Bob Murphy, Robbie Gray.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Yeah, I'd rather praise than boo. I haven't always, but now I'd rather cheer on the team and let the opposition do whatever it is they do.

I can't deny enjoying the performances of certain players from opposing teams though. In particular Jarrod Harbrow, Dayne Zorko, Bob Murphy, Robbie Gray.
    I don't deny anybody's right to boo under "fair" circumstances and think it is part of football when dosed out in traditional measures (such as villain of the day, opposing shot at goal, poor umpiring decision etc.).

I am not a clean-skin and still participate in a little pantomimicry (I think I just made that word up) every now and again.

However, after what happened to Goodesie (yeah, sorry to bring it up again but the wounds are deep), I feel a bit dirty every time I boo ... anything, anywhere. My kids too were shocked to be in the crowd in Melbourne a couple of times in Adam's final year and they think all booing is abhorrent, so that acts as a deterrent as well.

In the meantime, I try to educate them in the fine arts of true booing but they just don't get it.

Don't think I'd boo Nick, he's been a "champion" (unless he was taking a shot on goal in a close game).

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Gee Annie, do you like ANYONE?
    Only our players.
    Everyone else is the enemy.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I don't deny anybody's right to boo under "fair" circumstances and think it is part of football when dosed out in traditional measures (such as villain of the day, opposing shot at goal, poor umpiring decision etc.).
    I'd be satisfied with 2 of the 3. The Tomas Bugg incident for example warranted subsequent booing. That was beyond the pale. Easy enough to get swept along with umpire booing if something contentious occurs, particularly technical 50 metre penalties. However if we dissect the booing of a player having a shot for goal its actually a rather odd tradition. I get that we are trying to put him off his kick (and yes I have booed in this manner) but really, don't we boo those who have erred. This poor fellow is just doing what he's paid to do. He hasn't actually done anything wrong. It would make more sense if we all made dolphin noises, or barked like seals.

And I suspect that horrible situation with Adam Goodes may have subconsciously realigned my entire approach to booing. A very shameful episode that still affects many of us. I concur.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

It's perfectly OK to boo at the footy (as I have said a gazillion times).
    Umpire makes a bad decision... boo.
    Opposition lining up for goal... boo.
    Dirty player... boo.
    These are traditions of the game.
    It's NOT OK to boo someone because they are aboriginal.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    At this juncture, can I also remind everyone that Saturday night is likely to be the final appearance at the SCG of one of
    the true champs of the modern game, Nick Riewoldt. He will be returning to the ground where he took what is regarded by
    many as the most courageous mark ever taken, 13 years ago against us. Mrs Tigers and I have always had a soft spot for
    him ever since he and Kosi were so nice to our young kids at the time on a flight to Hawaii just after the 2005 season
    finished.
    I'm with you champ. I love Riewoldt as well. It may not be his final game at the SCG.

I've put together a proposal in the list management thread for Riewoldt to join the Swans in the event that Sam Reid departs. He would provide great short term support for Buddy and would relish not playing in the AFL bubble. He would probably enjoy the surf and Yoga studios in Bondi.

I think he is all class. The Maddy game was brilliantly done by the family.

Let's get behind Nick and support him. If someone was to boo Nick, I would be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    I've put together a proposal in the list management thread for Riewoldt to join the Swans in the event that Sam Reid departs. He would provide great short term support for Buddy and would relish not playing in the AFL bubble. He would probably enjoy the surf and Yoga studios in Bondi.
    Reeks of Dermie, Spider, Daffy and every other has been that's been recruited in the last 3 decades. But they are in the past. The only recent "failure" we've really had like that is Bradshaw. Our recruiters are smart. If they think Saint Nick is worth it, well & good. If not it will be consigned to the Matt80 pile of out there ideas (& at least they waited until Tom Mitchell had currency before trading him to the Hawks instead of prematurely trading him to Carlton).

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    Let's get behind Nick and support him. If someone was to boo Nick, I would be very disappointed.
    Wouldn't boo him myself, but support him?! unless he's wearing red & white (without the black) why would I support him?! I barrack for a team not a player. And if I was supporting a player, he sure as heck would have a Swans jumper on! Honestly Champ

I think boo-ing should only be in the context of the game. For example booing of bugg is only allowed in the game he got mills. Now that's done.

Exceptions are Hird and any of the drug cheats from essendon.

The Goodes booing was a wake up call.

I only really boo if there is no
    Kick-to-kick ....
    Karma will take care of the rest .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Nick took that mark directly in front of me that day and I thought it was completely selfish.
    What utter rubbish. It was in front of me as well, and I stood up and applauded. As Nico said, he had eyes for the ball the whole way; the bravest mark I've seen live..

Looks like it was Milne, anyway, play on:
    Nick Riewoldt's amazing mark against Sydney - YouTube
    C'mon Chels!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    I only really boo if there is no
    Kick-to-kick ....
    Yeah, I'd boo that, just out of principle.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    What utter rubbish. It was in front of me as well, and I stood up and applauded. As Nico said, he had eyes for the ball the whole way; the bravest mark I've seen live..

Looks like it was Milne, anyway, play on:
    Nick Riewoldt's amazing mark against Sydney - YouTube
    I was at the game as well. The mark was incredible. And to that individual who said the mark was selfish, he gave a handball to Harvey who goaled. A selfish player would have gone back and tried to nail that goal from 60 after that mark.

I loved Nick's mark from the kick out in the 2010 Grand Final draw. The Saints would not have got the ball forward to tie the game without that late mark.

For a corporate guy like me, that mark was worth 6 million dollars for the AFL in GF replay earnings.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast