Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Saints match discussion

Senior Player

Swans vs Saints match discussion

At this juncture, can I also remind everyone that Saturday night is likely to be the final appearance at the SCG of one of
    the true champs of the modern game, Nick Riewoldt. He will be returning to the ground where he took what is regarded by
    many as the most courageous mark ever taken, 13 years ago against us. Mrs Tigers and I have always had a soft spot for
    him ever since he and Kosi were so nice to our young kids at the time on a flight to Hawaii just after the 2005 season
    finished.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    At this juncture, can I also remind everyone that Saturday night is likely to be the final appearance at the SCG of one of
    the true champs of the modern game, Nick Riewoldt. He will be returning to the ground where he took what is regarded by
    many as the most courageous mark ever taken, 13 years ago against us. Mrs Tigers and I have always had a soft spot for
    him ever since he and Kosi were so nice to our young kids at the time on a flight to Hawaii just after the 2005 season
    finished.
    KT just to keep the fractious nature of this thread running - Nick took that mark directly in front of me that day and I thought it was completely selfish. He really creamed one of his own teammates (Steve Baker?) to complete it - when his teammate would have marked it anyway.

Everyone says he's a nice guy but I don't really get the Saint Nick on-field worship. If Buddy was treated like Nick is by the umps he'd be approaching Plugger's record by now. I though his recent cheating was dodgy, too, when the general view was that it was playful cleverness - image if it had been Sam Mitchell against us for a certain goal from the 50 to decide the game.

I don't like Riewoldt.
    Might even boo him if he lines up for goal.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Cleaning up Baker..... I'd imagine there was a long line of players wanting to do that. Reading the "going back with the flight of the ball mark" as selfish?
    I've never thought of them like that, but I suppose they are in a way. Just seems a bit of a harsh assessment and takes a bit of the gloss of some classic
    J Brown, Ablett Snr, Carey marks. It has been a fractious afternoon on RWO, some days are like that I guess. Swans by 23. Mills to have a huge game.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    KT just to keep the fractious nature of this thread running - Nick took that mark directly in front of me that day and I thought it was completely selfish. He really creamed one of his own teammates (Steve Baker?) to complete it - when his teammate would have marked it anyway.

Everyone says he's a nice guy but I don't really get the Saint Nick on-field worship. If Buddy was treated like Nick is by the umps he'd be approaching Plugger's record by now. I though his recent cheating was dodgy, too, when the general view was that it was playful cleverness - image if it had been Sam Mitchell against us for a certain goal from the 50 to decide the game.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Swans by 40.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Cleaning up Baker..... I'd imagine there was a long line of players wanting to do that. Reading the "going back with the flight of the ball mark" as selfish?
    I've never thought of them like that, but I suppose they are in a way. Just seems a bit of a harsh assessment and takes a bit of the gloss of some classic
    J Brown, Ablett Snr, Carey marks. It has been a fractious afternoon on RWO, some days are like that I guess. Swans by 23. Mills to have a huge game.
    He probably just had eyes for the ball and didn't see Baker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Only Swans players do that...

Warming the Bench
    I suspect the Saint will be wanting to make up for their lacklustre game last week. They'll come out swinging in the first quarter. However, I think we'll have too much class as the game goes on.

I'm still nervous but I think we'll end up with a comfortable win - 30 points or more.

Gary Rohan to have a big night - I just hope he isn't used in defence too much.

Swans tend to take the first quarter to get with the program and pick it up from there.
    Not sure if this is just the players settling in to the game, or Horse getting a grip on the opposition coach and making changes to effect better results for the rest of the game.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I don't like Riewoldt.
    Might even boo him if he lines up for goal.
    Gee Annie, do you like ANYONE?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I'm with you on this one, Nico.Saw the mark that day and still think it's the bravest, by far. Right up there with the best I've ever seen live. And I saw Coleman, Ongarello, Broderick, and plenty other tops from the older days, as well as the more recent greats.

That's a really nice post and good sentiment. As parochial as we can be as Swans fans, there would be no competition without opposition teams and players and NR is one of many who have added color and excitement to my experience of football from the time he was drafted.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast