Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Round 17: Sydney Swans Reserves v NT Thunder @ SCG

Veteran Site Admin
    I agree that Dawson is just about ready. He may be in a bit of a catch-22 position in that young players rarely come into the senior side as play makers. More often, they're asked to be "role players" until they've proven themselves. I think Dawson will be a better player than, say, Robinson quite quickly (not meant as a knock on Robinson, but Dawson is taller, marks better and has a better kick on him) but Robinson has proven himself disciplined enough to play defensively at senior level. When you're the gun player in the NEAFL side, it's a bit harder to prove your readiness for such a role. I doubt there'd have been a player in an opposition side in the NEAFL this year that warranted giving Dawson a shut down role, just to see how he might go.

If I were to be ultra-critical of Dawson's game last weekend, there were at least three (maybe a couple more) instances where he had a short, unpressured kick that missed the target by a significant distance. In each case I can remember, these were across half-back and led to scoring opportunities for the Thunder (who were mostly unable to capitalise on them). These were dead easy kicks, and given how good his kicking mostly is, I presume these poor kicks were down to a lack of concentration. I imagine the coaches will want him to get these out of his game at NEAFL level, because at senior level they would have each gifted a goal to the opposition.

Game has just started on NITV now

Thank you Boddo!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Veterans List
    Just watched the ressies replay with sound off.

Dawson looks a fairly complete footballer, crashes in/through, finds the ball, marks, kicks, distributed a lot of ball. If he doesn't get a go this year for whatever reason, reckon he's a certain starter in 2018.

Hayward just oozes talent, happy for him to return to seniors.

Liked the look of what I thought was a toppie, number 45 but checking Uggs opening post I notice it's Fisher, did some nice things.

Tippett, well he was so much bigger than the opposition, had to go well.

Aliir showed all those traits that got us excited last year, not sure how we squeeze him in or where/what role he plays at senior level but the x factor he brings would make us better, I think.

All in all, after starting the season with no depth we now appear to be well placed. With a thin draft I expect we may only use our first two selections as our third compulsory list change will be the Melican upgrade.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If I were to be ultra-critical of Dawson's game last weekend, there were at least three (maybe a couple more) instances where he had a short, unpressured kick that missed the target by a significant distance. In each case I can remember, these were across half-back and led to scoring opportunities for the Thunder (who were mostly unable to capitalise on them). These were dead easy kicks, and given how good his kicking mostly is, I presume these poor kicks were down to a lack of concentration. I imagine the coaches will want him to get these out of his game at NEAFL level, because at senior level they would have each gifted a goal to the opposition.
    Otherwise known as the Towers. Interesting insight,
    C'mon Chels!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345