Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 18 Sydney V St Kilda. SCG. 19.25pm.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, no case to answer. And as an added bonus, Toby Greene got two weeks. Ahhh, my faith in the AFL administration is restored...for at least the next hour or two.
    He's a dirty little thing, isn't he? He should have gotten a month. He hasn't learnt anything with two week suspensions.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

"It was the view of the panel that Heeney took Geary straight to ground without using excessive force and no further action was required."

So basically, it also wasnt a free kick?

From afl.com.au:

Sydney midfielder Isaac Heeney has been cleared of any wrongdoing in a dangerous tackle on St Kilda captain Jarryn Geary.

The MRP found Heeney "took Geary straight to ground without using excessive force" after the St Kilda defender had leapt into the air before contact was made.

Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    "It was the view of the panel that Heeney took Geary straight to ground without using excessive force and no further action was required."

There were a lot of Ainters free kicks that weren't really there.
    The umpires helped them as much as they could... they are still @@@@e.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Re the Heeney tackle - the video and commentary on the AFL site is titled 'Isaac's dangerous spear tackle'. And on the Swans' site the very same video and commentary is labelled 'Heeney's strong tackle'.
    Ha! Some time in the last couple of days the description of 'spear' has been deleted from the title to the Heeney tackle video on the AFL site. Someone at least recognised the absurdity of the TV commentary.

It still reads as. 'dangerous tackle' which it wasn't. As the MRP have now said ('Heeney took Geary straight to ground without using excessive force').

Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post

It can still be a free kick without being reportable. Not that it should have been, but it can be

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    There were a lot of Ainters free kicks that weren't really there.
    The umpires helped them as much as they could... they are still @@@@e.

I agree with this. The Saints were allowed to throw and drop the ball but when we do it they get a free. Why did they get 50 metre penalties when we get a 25? The umpires certainly tried to get them back in it. I thought they were trying to manage the damage in the last hoping to lower the percentage against

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches' votes

10 Sinclair
    5 Franklin, Melican
    4 Grundy
    3 Dunstan
    2 Heeney
    1 Kennedy

Breakdown
    Sinclair 5-5
    Franklin/Melican 4-1/3-2
    Grundy 4-0
    Dunstan 3-0
    Heeney 2-0
    Kennedy 1-0

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I agree with this. The Saints were allowed to throw and drop the ball but when we do it they get a free.
    Yes there was one point in the centre square when a saints player dropped the ball but no free kick and 2 seconds later Papley was caught and was pinged. The Papley decision was correct but how can the same umpire miss the first one??

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Agreed. He did nothing wrong at any point during the tackle. It was technically perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't agree more.
    I suspect he saw it as a lifting tackle, hence the rugby reference - but the reality is Geary jumped into it. The replay was one of the dumbest things I've seen. He's lucky he didn't get dumped on his head. Heeney got low and drove - it's what you're supposed to do.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I suspect he saw it as a lifting tackle, hence the rugby reference - but the reality is Geary jumped into it.
    I agree, the ump simply made a mistake.

I think Grady saw tackle coming and jumped to try to keep his arms free to attempt to get a handball away.

Veteran Site Admin
    I can understand why the umpire paid the free kick. He didn't have the benefit of watching the replay. He'd have just seen a player in the air in a tackle.

With the benefit of a replay, I marvel at Heeney's technique. He wouldn't have been expecting Geary to become airbound, and it could, quite easily, have turned out a bit nasty. I thought Heeney did incredibly well to control Geary's body drop and to guide him to ground. He even had his hand slightly underneath Geary's shoulder, which broke the impact slightly.