Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 18 Sydney V St Kilda. SCG. 19.25pm.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    With McVeigh, Sinclair and Towers playing well, is there any reason for RWO to stay open this week?
    McVeigh has played consistently well for about 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Macca is fine so long as he doesn't have to chase anyone.

Gotta say that McVeigh is playing well, and good on him, he may yet reach 300 with the Swans.
    Always been a Towers fan. Many Swans fans won't be sold yet though after his 2 end of game disposals a while back, but I always thought that was harsh.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Re the Heeney tackle - the video and commentary on the AFL site is titled 'Isaac's dangerous spear tackle'. And on the Swans' site the very same video and commentary is labelled 'Heeney's strong tackle'.

Well done Swans media team. I too don't think it was a spear tackle - the alleged 'lift' was caused by the Saints player jumping in the air, not by Heeney's tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Re the Heeney tackle - the video and commentary on the AFL site is titled 'Isaac's dangerous spear tackle'. And on the Swans' site the very same video and commentary is labelled 'Heeney's strong tackle'.

Well done Swans media team. I too don't think it was a spear tackle - the alleged 'lift' was caused by the Saints player jumping in the air, not by Heeney's tackle.
    Yes, some of the media seem to think he might be in trouble with the Tribunal. I would have thought, that to be suspended, that you need to have done something illegal? I don't see what was actually illegal in the tackle? It wasn't high, nor was it too low. It wasn't in the back. It wasn't late. There was no slinging motion and he didn't lift him. I would find it quite surreal, if he got punished in any way, for something that didn't even deserve a free.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    In some parallel universe, yes.

Interesting to see the difference in the umpiring when we're playing a Melbourne team as opposed to gws last week. This week - back to their old tricks, random application of the holding the ball rule. Saints win the free kick count 22-15.

Last week, the umpiring seemed almost fair. It was weird.

The Saints gave us a pretty robust contest, they play clean fast footy and repelled our forward 50 entries repeatedly, so to come away with a 7 goal win and a break out game by a player ( CS) getting all the knockers ranting previously was really pleasing.
    Two players coming completely out of their shell in recent times, Dean and Callum.
    Well done coaches.

Josh Bruce is good , is he out of contract ?

That record against the Hawks since 08, OUCH !

That was a good crowd v the Saints , nearly 37K , is that because Union is struggling or Swans on a roll .

They had kick-to-kick at Spotless , but not at the precious SCG . They should have a disclaimer on footballs sold at the ground.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The Saints gave us a pretty robust contest, they play clean fast footy and repelled our forward 50 entries repeatedly, so to come away with a 7 goal win and a break out game by a player ( CS) getting all the knockers ranting previously was really pleasing.
    Two players coming completely out of their shell in recent times, Dean and Callum.
    Well done coaches.

Josh Bruce is good , is he out of contract ?

That record against the Hawks since 08, OUCH !

That was a good crowd v the Saints , nearly 37K , is that because Union is struggling or Swans on a roll .

They had kick-to-kick at Spotless , but not at the precious SCG . They should have a disclaimer on footballs sold at the ground.
    Agree on the Saints. Some discussion on SEN during the week talked about their ability to get players back and their defensive mindset. Even though they are seen as having an outside run game style they were able to match us close in and keep possession. At half time they had more possessions than us by a bit but by 3q time we had 3 more possessions. In the end they had 42 more possessions which shows we probably took our foot off the pedal in the last quarter. We missed 9 set shots, most of them absolute sodas, but imagine Saints supporters anguish at their turnovers.

I can't fathom why players need to belt players in the head. Where is the duty of care. That hit by Stevens on Parker at the first contest was appalling. What for. What gives a player the right to belt someone in the head. What planet is Stevens on. Does the name Bugg ring a bell you flog. Jockeys watch out for each other due to the dangerous nature of their occupation and pay the price for interference. I thought Parker played rather a subdued game. Was he feeling it?

The people I watched with agreed it wasn't a game of the highest standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    That hit by Stevens on Parker at the first contest was appalling.
    The commentators at the time seemed to think it was fine, but I did not see the after match discussion - did they reflect back on it?

Regardless of whether the ball was there or not, can you have a round arm swing that by the nature of the action will hit an opponent in the head? Parker was lucky not to get a broken nose (or worse).

The line of thinking that saw Jones bump get cleared (i.e. the ball was in the vicinity) seems to be used as justification for incidental contact. This needs to be reviewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Club 80 View Post
    This is terrible.

I'm waiting at the Bus Stop in Annandale and this large West Connex protest has walked past.

They are chanting:

"Hey Hey, Hoe Hoe, West Connex has got to go".

Don't these people see the economic, efficiency and social benefits that the West Connex will bring?

There were all these young kids involved. Have their parents explained the pros and cons of the West Connex so that they can make an informed decision.

What do you think Danzar as a fellow Annandale resident?

Not the best way for me to prepare for a big night of football.

Can't wait to get to the SCG and be clear of that chant.

No. No & No. We don't need another road to the city, we need to decentralise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Agree on the Saints. Some discussion on SEN during the week talked about their ability to get players back and their defensive mindset. Even though they are seen as having an outside run game style they were able to match us close in and keep possession. At half time they had more possessions than us by a bit but by 3q time we had 3 more possessions. In the end they had 42 more possessions which shows we probably took our foot off the pedal in the last quarter. We missed 9 set shots, most of them absolute sodas, but imagine Saints supporters anguish at their turnovers.

I can't fathom why players need to belt players in the head. Where is the duty of care. That hit by Stevens on Parker at the first contest was appalling. What for. What gives a player the right to belt someone in the head. What planet is Stevens on. Does the name Bugg ring a bell you flog. Jockeys watch out for each other due to the dangerous nature of their occupation and pay the price for interference. I thought Parker played rather a subdued game. Was he feeling it?

The people I watched with agreed it wasn't a game of the highest standard.
    As for the disposal the Saints flip the ball around the defence with short kicking playing tempo footy. We cut that to pieces many times that is why we had far more forward entries. The Saints play the short game and we play a longer kicking game. We have had less disposals than a few teams this year and still won.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast