Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harley to Succeed Ireland

Veteran Site Admin
    They talked briefly about Harley's appointment on AFL360 last night. Whately commented that he doesn't believe the Swans' CEO job is the top position Harley will occupy within the football industry. He think's Harley is earmarked to take over from McLachlan. I am sure he'd have been in the AFL's sights now as a possible to take over the vacant role of Football Operations Manager.

In terms of Ireland first "only" being appointed as Football Manager when he first arrived at Sydney, that was for a couple of reasons:

- the Swans already had a CEO, who was performing reasonably well at the time
    - Ireland had recently departed the Lions as CEO, where he felt he was "burned out". He actually was a consultant to the club for a year or so, before joining as Football Manager, and that role possibly gave him a bit of respite from the pressures of being a CEO for a few years, until he had the appetite to step up to the top job at a club again.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Love your work, Annie but I would put Kinnear Beatson at the top of our admin tree.
    Shhhhhhhhh.
    Don't tell anyone.
    BUT, if any other club want to be as successful as us, they'd pinch Kinnear.
    HE's the MAN when it comes to spotting talent.
    Personally, I'd leave him to do what he does best and give Kirky the Head of Football job.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

No doubt swans set this up now because of all these executive roles opening up at AFL house and clubland.

I'm a fan of the Harley transition. Harley has adequate experience in administration and the bonus of being a very respected footballer (premiership captain no less) and presents as very sensible, clear-thinking and ethical. The people we know and trust (i.e. Ireland and the Board) have picked him and that gives me a lot of additional confidence. Plus we have had a good look at him and know what he brings and that it matches with what we want.

Very sad to see Ireland go. He and Colless have made the Swans the Club we are today (along with the players and coaches). Has been absolutely brilliant for us. Very glad he will stay involved.

I don't yet have a strong opinion about Pridham. I suspect he's good else we would not have picked him (and, again, we had a long, long look at him before we picked him) but I haven't seen it yet for myself.

I'm not sure about either Kirk or Kinnear to replace Harley. I think it's too soon for Kirky and he's going towards a senior coaching position if he's good enough anyway, via a senior assistant coaching position. Kinnear is so fabulous at what he does, I say just let him continue unless he wants to progress.

Blakey could, possibly, become football operations manager (what the hell is the football operations manager anyway? what do they do? clearly they have a football background, are involved in match committee and list management, help the CEO and presumably also supervising/coordinating the coaches too??) but could be a good opportunity to get in some fresh blood. When bringing in someone external, geography is a significant factor. Some candidates are just not going to be interested in leaving Melbourne (or wherever). Others will be. I could totally see Macca (or Goodsey!) in this type of a role one day when he has garnered the right type of post-playing experience but I daresay it's too soon for him, even in 12-18 months time. What about someone like Buckley, if he gets the heave-ho? He hasn't been a great success as head coach for the Pies but, if they get rid of him, he'll be wiser for the experience and strikes me as a very impressive football person. However, this is a good example of where geography may well be an issue as it's easy to imagine he would have no interest in leaving Melbourne (nor, perhaps, in this role). Some other former senior coach with good administrative credentials could also be the type to get this sort of role. Anyway, I trust our Club to make an excellent choice.

Buckley???
    No thanks.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Buckley???
    No thanks.
    Not arguing just wondering on your reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    Not arguing just wondering on your reasoning
    We have a no dickheads policy.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    No doubt swans set this up now because of all these executive roles opening up at AFL house and clubland.
    They made the decision last year and Harley ran AFL NSW/ACT for three years.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Blakey could, possibly, become football operations manager (what the hell is the football operations manager anyway? what do they do?
    The main role of the Football Operations Manager is to decide which injured players do not appear on the club's official injury list and do a 2 minute weekly video about it to be shown on the club's website. It's a critical job that can make the difference between winning a premiership or the wooden spoon.

My top candidates to replace Harley in the role are:

1. Warwick Capper
    2. Mike Pyke
    3. Ludwig

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The main role of the Football Operations Manager is to decide which injured players do not appear on the club's official injury list and do a 2 minute weekly video about it to be shown on the club's website. It's a critical job that can make the difference between winning a premiership or the wooden spoon.

My top candidates to replace Harley in the role are:

1. Warwick Capper
    2. Mike Pyke
    3. Ludwig

Very, very funny! Great to see you back from the sulks and in form.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    They made the decision last year and Harley ran AFL NSW/ACT for three years.
    Thats not good. Jobs for the boys never ends well.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Thats not good. Jobs for the boys never ends well.
    Like Pridham and Longmire? Both groomed by their predecessors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast