Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 19 V Hawthorn

In: Hayward (kicked 6 on the weekend)
    Out: Robbo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I have often felt we really need a stronger comp for our reserves players than NEAFL standard. However, the performances of the guys moving up over the last year or so belie that.

Maybe the Swans ressies coaching has improved dramatically; maybe the calibre and preparedness of recruits for firsts standard football is higher... I'm unsure.

I do remain convinced that the NEAFL standards haven't improved.

Any thoughts on this guys?
    Hopefully ex-academy boys will join the other teams and help lift the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I have often felt we really need a stronger comp for our reserves players than NEAFL standard. However, the performances of the guys moving up over the last year or so belie that.

Maybe the Swans ressies coaching has improved dramatically; maybe the calibre and preparedness of recruits for firsts standard football is higher... I'm unsure.

I do remain convinced that the NEAFL standards haven't improved.

Any thoughts on this guys?
    The problem with the NEAFL this year is a number of the AFL teams have had dreadful injury runs, leaving their reserves well and truly depleted. We had a rough start to the year injury wise, but have been chugging along pretty well recently. Hence many of the games that usually are much closer have not been, as the AFL reserves teams involved have been very weak.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Florent was one of the quieter players against NT. Unless there's a need to elevate players (ie through injury) I can't see him coming into the side at the expense of anyone who played last week. Hayward made his case for a senior recall far more emphatically, but I still doubt he'll get a go.

It's weird to hope for an established player to be injured/unavailable this week, but I kind of hope Reid needs one more week to make sure his groin is fine. It's impossible to drop Sinclair this week but I don't think this weekend's game is the one to be messing with the structure of the side. If Callum comes close to repeating his efforts of last weekend, the coaches are going to have to think about whether the team can work with one extra tall for the rest of the year, or if they send Reid to play alongside Tippett in the NEAFL side. Just as possible is that Sinclair has a more modest outing against the Hawks and then the coaches just need to decide which of the three tall blokes gets to play in the senior side.
    I agree with all of this, well put. Longmire pretty much confirmed yesterday that Sinclair will play. They can afford to be cautious with Reid.

I will add that I don't think Robinson's in our best 22. As I said previously, I'd prefer Hayward came in for him, despite the swap not being like-for-like. But I doubt they'll do it.

Ultimately, I think Robinson has Cunningham's spot and Harry will come in once fit. I note Harley indicated Cunningham is fit this week, but the reserves have a bye. So that's at least three rounds away.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The problem with the NEAFL this year is a number of the AFL teams have had dreadful injury runs, leaving their reserves well and truly depleted. We had a rough start to the year injury wise, but have been chugging along pretty well recently. Hence many of the games that usually are much closer have not been, as the AFL reserves teams involved have been very weak.
    I think last year was worse. Both the Lions and Suns had bad injury runs last year and struggled at NEAFL level, while the Giants were strong. This year the Lions and Suns haven't been too badly hit and have fared quite well in the NEAFL but the Giants have been decimated.

Despite that, a very weakened Giants team put up a far better showing against the Swans than the Suns did a week before. That Suns performance (they lost by over 100 points) was an absolutely woeful effort given that both teams had about the same number of listed players available, and the Suns had far more high end draft picks.

A lot of credit has to go to the Swans coaching staff - both the specific NEAFL guys and the overall coaching panel. All our guys - even rookies who are unlikely to progress much further - play consistently disciplined football every single week. And the academy boys slot in well too, even though most rotate in on an almost weekly basis.

I'm surprised no one has suggested that we drop Naismith instead of the conversation being limited to a choice between Reid and Sinclair. Naismith has been passable, but nothing special in the ruck. In 12 games he's only taken 23 marks and hasn't kicked a goal, so hasn't contributed much around the ground either.

I would bring Tippett in for Naismith and leave Sinclair at FF. It would give a chance for Naismith to freshen up with a week off. We can decide which 2 should play the following week out of Tippett, Naismith, Sinclair and Reid based on their relative performances and training form. I don't think we will be going back to a 2 ruckmen system after finally making the structural change to 1 ruckman. But we can have 2 ruck/forwards divide the workload in the ruck and forward.

Robinson hasn't been all that impressive in his 3 weeks back from injury and NEAFL. Dawson's form is just too good to overlook. I would make the swap this week. With a bye week for the reserves, there's no reason to wait. We've seen enough.

Summary
    In: Tippett, Dawson
    Out: Naismith, Robinson

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm surprised no one has suggested that we drop Naismith instead of the conversation being limited to a choice between Reid and Sinclair. Naismith has been passable, but nothing special in the ruck. In 12 games he's only taken 23 marks and hasn't kicked a goal, so hasn't contributed much around the ground either.

I would bring Tippett in for Naismith and leave Sinclair at FF. It would give a chance for Naismith to freshen up with a week off. We can decide which 2 should play the following week out of Tippett, Naismith, Sinclair and Reid based on their relative performances and training form. I don't think we will be going back to a 2 ruckmen system after finally making the structural change to 1 ruckman. But we can have 2 ruck/forwards divide the workload in the ruck and forward.

Robinson hasn't been all that impressive in his 3 weeks back from injury and NEAFL. Dawson's form is just too good to overlook. I would make the swap this week. With a bye week for the reserves, there's no reason to wait. We've seen enough.

Summary
    Naismith is our best ruckman. He wins a lot of taps and a number go to our advantage. More importantly, he is very mobile and adept at following up at ground level and also pressuring the opposition. He has a big tank and will only get better. More goals would be nice but he is not up forward all that often. Very effective and very promising in the early stages of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Summary
    I'm never quite sure what you've been smoking Ludwig, you always have such interesting suggestions to make.

In the HeraldSun today they said "Longmire said Kurt Tippett is a chance to return to the AFL this week but not at the expense of Callum Sinclair." This can only mean either (1) playing an extra tall or (2) a change in the ruck: Tippo for Naismith [leaving aside (3) Tippo won't be playing AFL this week].

Naismith didn't go that well against Longer on the weekend so you might be right, although really I'm not convinced Tippett is the answer.

The other option is he'll play an extra tall, although Longmire's not the kind of coach to change a losing formula, so can't see him changing a winning one. I'd say that this version of the Swans should beat the Hawks on the inside at contested ball, and probably be quicker on the outside, so maybe he thinks he can afford to go taller? Do the Hawks have any genuine tall defenders at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Dawson is being groomed to take the second rotation in the mids. He will replace Joey in the rotations, this will give Joey more rest and he will not be blowing and therefore even more effective. In other words Kizza's spot as it stands.
    I also think this might be spot on, in which case we shouldn't hold our breath on Dawson. Hayward is the other one banging down the door who could be more in line for Robinson's spot, so:

In: Hayward
    Out: Robinson

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    I'm never quite sure what you've been smoking Ludwig, you always have such interesting suggestions to make.

In the HeraldSun today they said "Longmire said Kurt Tippett is a chance to return to the AFL this week but not at the expense of Callum Sinclair." This can only mean either (1) playing an extra tall or (2) a change in the ruck: Tippo for Naismith [leaving aside (3) Tippo won't be playing AFL this week].

Naismith didn't go that well against Longer on the weekend so you might be right, although really I'm not convinced Tippett is the answer.

The other option is he'll play an extra tall, although Longmire's not the kind of coach to change a losing formula, so can't see him changing a winning one. I'd say that this version of the Swans should beat the Hawks on the inside at contested ball, and probably be quicker on the outside, so maybe he thinks he can afford to go taller? Do the Hawks have any genuine tall defenders at the moment

I also think this might be spot on, in which case we shouldn't hold our breath on Dawson. Hayward is the other one banging down the door who could be more in line for Robinson's spot, so:

In: Hayward
    Out: Robinson

I would be surprised if Robinson went out. Very good at shutting down important opposition players. His physical strength is underrated. Hayward is a young gun but at 18 may not get back in for crunch games unless injuries help him out.

No change.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    I would be surprised if Robinson went out. Very good at shutting down important opposition players. His physical strength is underrated. Hayward is a young gun but at 18 may not get back in for crunch games unless injuries help him out.
    Robbo had his colours lowered at the weekend, doesn't have a Gold Pass, Out: Robbo, In: Dawson

On the veteran's list
    Reid may be a tall but he is lightning quick and agile. Could easily replace Robbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Robinson is the Swans first choice lock down player and has been very effective in this role. Hayward is on a different level. In the NEAFL game last week against NT he was in class of his own. His marking, positioning and pace were elite. Clearly BOG.
    Tippett was effective but Hayward was dominant.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast