Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 19 Hawthorn V Sydney. MCG. 19.50 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Interesting that the MRP didn't mention Heeney's tackle. You would think a tackle deemed 'dangerous' by the umpire as he awarded a penalty free kick would get MRP consideration. (Dangerfield has been suspended for a tackle which the umpires ignored.) Does tend to confirm the free kick against Heeney should not have been paid.

Having said that I was a bit concerned when I realised that Heeney's tackle was on Hardwick, and Hardwick was the player who missed the second half with concussion. I assume the concussion must have been from a subsequent incident - it certainly didn't look as if his head hit the ground in the Heeney tackle. Can anyone confirm please?
    If he'd pinned his arms yes he'd be gone. That tackle will become more and more prevalent as it's the type of tackle that gets around the tackle rules of no slinging, no pinning of arms and no driving of the head in a forward motion. It'll be clarified that it's a legitimate tackle under the rules and players will use it until its outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Having said that I was a bit concerned when I realised that Heeney's tackle was on Hardwick, and Hardwick was the player who missed the second half with concussion. I assume the concussion must have been from a subsequent incident - it certainly didn't look as if his head hit the ground in the Heeney tackle. Can anyone confirm please?
    I was seated behind some of the journos at the ground and one of them commented later in the game that Heeney might be in trouble for that tackle due to Hardwick's concussion. I thought it was fine at the time so I was looking for it when I watched the replay but I didn't think he hit his head either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Hardwick's head went nowhere near the ground in that tackle. It was a great tackle, and I've read even Hawks fans verbally scratching their heads about why it was a free kick.

Match Day Thread Rnd 19 Hawthorn V Sydney. MCG. 19.50 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hardwick's head went nowhere near the ground in that tackle. It was a great tackle, and I've read even Hawks fans verbally scratching their heads about why it was a free kick.
    That's what I thought as well. So there must have been a later incident in the same quarter, presumably not involving a Swans player, which caused the concussion.

Heeney was clearly bemused - you could hear him saying to the umpire (in a respectful way) 'I didn't lift him'. I hope the two (unjustified) free kicks in two weeks doesn't lead him to start doubting himself.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Debster1 View Post
    Well it's certainly killing my spirit !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just managed to see the Melican punched goal from another angle that was not shown on tv. Yes he definetly punched it through, the hawthorn player did not get a touch. Another dud decision comes our way.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Just managed to see the Melican punched goal from another angle that was not shown on tv. Yes he definetly punched it through, the hawthorn player did not get a touch. Another dud decision comes our way.

Haven't watched the replay but was there ... oh nooooo...

Wow
    I was at the snow
    Just catching up on the game

So out coached in the first qtr and once again our lack of flexibility in adopting different styles of play was on display and was ???? nasty

Obviously hawthorn picked the key areas they felt they could expose us on and they did execute brilllantly

It also exposed our lack of flexibility in our game plan again

Matchups and structural positioning to ensure hawthorn won the first qtr no matter what was key. Hawthorn knew how important that first qtr was for them and for the swans and they adjusted perfectly their game plan

Masterful coaching by the Hawks

1. The 8 players at the back for hawthorn was genuis firstly so that they prevented us playing direct into our forward line quickly. The Hawks coaching department took an educated guess we would play direct and not play uncontested footy in the first 10mins or so of the first qtr. so they chocked up our forward line and made our entries near impossible and no buddy influence either. It took us till 15 mins for Luke Parker to ask our backline and team to shift to uncontested footy.......too late and pants pulled down

2. I loved how hawthorn also exposed faster midfielders inside ie Burgoyne and smith played inside and direct and had to play give and go footy to get a goal because they had only four forwards as targets but we only had 4 backs which left us in caos especially

3. Burgoyne on Kennedy for first 10mins........Burgoyne won that battle brilliantly and also made sure that a fast entry into the 50 allowed the Hawks then to keep us under pressure as we didn't have numbers to counter

So good

We should have countered with buddy shifted to our wing back immediately so we could have a longer penetrating kick out of the backs and leave hawthorns 8 marking space up field higher

Gunston to HBF second qtr
    Clever coaching effective execution and left our backs with smalls to match up on

Second qtr
    Mitchell and Kennedy
    Every time the Hawks won the ball in the middle Mitchell would run wide to the boundary and Kennedy chased him

No kennedy in the middle !!!!

Very smart coaching making Mitchell the decoy but even smarter dragging Kennedy into the abyss

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Second qtr
    Mitchell and Kennedy
    Every time the Hawks won the ball in the middle Mitchell would run wide to the boundary and Kennedy chased him

No kennedy in the middle !!!!

Very smart coaching making Mitchell the decoy but even smarter dragging Kennedy into the abyss

Despite all the master strokes and genius of Clarkson that you describe, we fell short by only six points. Our poor kicking for goal, especially early, was costly. In the last quarter, the structure that our coaching staff set up enabled us to hit the front. This set up, similar to Hawthorn in first quarter, had a very open forward line. We had a chance to extend the lead but Heeney and a couple of others made bad kicking errors when we had players clear over the back. This was as costly as any other factor. Hawthorn's style does frustrate us but I reckon we will get them next time if our kicking is a little better.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Wow
    I was at the snow
    Just catching up on the game

So out coached in the first qtr and once again our lack of flexibility in adopting different styles of play was on display and was ???? nasty

Obviously hawthorn picked the key areas they felt they could expose us on and they did execute brilllantly

It also exposed our lack of flexibility in our game plan again

Matchups and structural positioning to ensure hawthorn won the first qtr no matter what was key. Hawthorn knew how important that first qtr was for them and for the swans and they adjusted perfectly their game plan

Masterful coaching by the Hawks

1. The 8 players at the back for hawthorn was genuis firstly so that they prevented us playing direct into our forward line quickly. The Hawks coaching department took an educated guess we would play direct and not play uncontested footy in the first 10mins or so of the first qtr. so they chocked up our forward line and made our entries near impossible and no buddy influence either. It took us till 15 mins for Luke Parker to ask our backline and team to shift to uncontested footy.......too late and pants pulled down

2. I loved how hawthorn also exposed faster midfielders inside ie Burgoyne and smith played inside and direct and had to play give and go footy to get a goal because they had only four forwards as targets but we only had 4 backs which left us in caos especially

3. Burgoyne on Kennedy for first 10mins........Burgoyne won that battle brilliantly and also made sure that a fast entry into the 50 allowed the Hawks then to keep us under pressure as we didn't have numbers to counter

So good

We should have countered with buddy shifted to our wing back immediately so we could have a longer penetrating kick out of the backs and leave hawthorns 8 marking space up field higher
    Hey Auntie. Didn't you hear we had 2 late outs and Kennedy and Naismith were injured and clearly hampered during the game. Naismith was out for some time. Just thought I would a put of perspective into the performance for you. Did you meet any Melbourne supporters at the snow?

Yes, given that the Tribunal has made a number of somewhat mystifying decisions in the past, I was half expecting Heeney to get suspended, for doing nothing illegal two weeks in a row.