Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 19 Hawthorn V Sydney. MCG. 19.50 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Titus O'Reilly take:
    Hawthorn (72) v Sydney (66)

More evidence this week that no one will win the premiership this year.

Sydney seems to have no answers against Hawthorn, rolling out the same losing game plan with a hopeful optimism that is as heart-warming as it is ineffective.

As the Hawks continually slowed the game, the Swans decided that constantly chipping the ball sideways and backwards was the best approach. It wasn�t.

The strange thing was it almost worked, with the Swans taking the lead late in the game, only for Hawthorn to wrestle back control.

It was a spiteful game too with Buddy Franklin collecting Luke Hodge high at one stage. It was a cheap shot against someone who would never play the game that way.

It got so spiteful that kissing got involved with Will Langford kissing Jarrad McVeigh on the cheek, twice.

There are not too many workplaces where you can kiss someone uninvited and not get hauled in front of someone with 'People and Culture' in their title. Just ask an AFL executive.
    I love these Titus O'Reilly match reports. Always spot on

"Sydney seems to have no answers against Hawthorn, rolling out the same losing game plan with a hopeful optimism that is as heart-warming as it is ineffective."
    "It was a spiteful game too with Buddy Franklin collecting Luke Hodge high at one stage. It was a cheap shot against someone who would never play the game that way."

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, given that the Tribunal has made a number of somewhat mystifying decisions in the past, I was half expecting Heeney to get suspended, for doing nothing illegal two weeks in a row.
    I'm pretty sure a third legal "NRL" style tackle triggers automatic calls for his suspension from the Melbourne media.

My Banner Entry :

We get you're as mad as hell in Geelong
    For the awful dilemma with Danger
    Don't worry be happy and strong
    Young Heeney will show him how to avoid such a clanger

Nico

That is relevant
    No argument from me

The Hawks had some major outs for the game before we even kicked off and would u agree they covered their backline weakness on paper via super smart tactics of the 8 players chocking up all space for our entries and then controlled field position ?

Also and the part that really hurts for me was that Roughead and their other tall were off for most of the first qtr while the Hawks picked us to pieces tactically ....... that is significant lack of coaching flexibility ...... and I think the first qtr was unacceptable and a real lack of evolving tactics by the swans

We know and so does the competition, that to win the first against the swans is key and we only turned around our season when we started being more flexible in our first qtr tactics

When we win that First qtr it allows us to revert back and play our preferred footy and flat to the floor pressure on the opposition contested footy but u have to win and dominate the first qtr

The Hawks did Tactically dismantle us in the first qtr and then reverted to their uncontested footy second qtr and moved us around like a school yard game in the second qtr which bloody earful to watch

Given that 80% of teams leading at the end of the third qtr go onto to win......we have to get smarter in our first qtr tactics and or adjust to creative and intelligent coaching by Clarkson .....even worse was this was displayed with a very under strength team for the Hawks

BF
    Why cant we be the smarter team though?
    Why can't we be creative and set the tactics first against the Hawks!

Everything u describe was us playing catchup to a seriously under strength hawks team
    They controlled the game and the Hawks showed the right tactics ........while we were kept to scrambling to find answers

We play games with small leads on the score board also to control the game ie minimising High risk high reward footy to control a game via minimal risk minimal gain

The losing by 6 pts wasn't as relevant for me as the way the Hawks controlled the first 3 qtrs and found the way home in the last

I'll take a 6 point controlled win any day of the week
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 1st August 2017 at 08:13 AM.

It generally takes significant cognitive "flexibility" to solve complex problems

The number one way to develop greater cognitive ability is "alter your daily routine"

Hhmmmmmmm

On the weekend I saw that Clarkson created significant tactical changes on the weekend that the swans struggled to tactically cope with

I saw a game of chess in the first and second qtr with one coach out smarting the other

I sense that Longmire always saying the game is pretty simple is either an answer he uses to deceive us and the media or he truly believes it is a simple game

Most think that all sport is simple when u are winning and when u have the players that can take the game beyond your simplistic philosophy - because u are not being challenged significantly when winning.........the adversity of losing can create greater opportunity to adjust and be flexible

Now we have that opportunity again vs geelong just like we had leading into the second Dogs game this season

But sport is not simple......never has been for those that truly believe that tactical flexibility is a key component to continued success

We hear hodge interviewed over the years say that Clarkson is continually coming up to home to say have with thought of every possible option to counter for this game........or Clarkson saying I think the game is moving in this direction with the rule changes and or umpiring

Hmmmm

Hodge laughs at this when interviewed but he also displays great confidence in having a coach that is always pushing the frontiers of tactics and strategy and being flexible enough to get critical little wins in parts of the game that change the total outcome
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 1st August 2017 at 10:21 AM.

According to a 2016 report from the World Economic Forum that looked at the future of jobs across nine different industries in 15 of the world�s largest economies, employers will soon be placing more emphasis on cognitive abilities like creativity and adaptability.

This is completely relevant to my philosophy of what I expect from our coaching staff and what a bloods club should demand........and what we saw as evidence by the Hawks on the weekend - tactically first class

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post

"Sydney seems to have no answers against Hawthorn, rolling out the same losing game plan with a hopeful optimism that is as heart-warming as it is ineffective."
    "It was a spiteful game too with Buddy Franklin collecting Luke Hodge high at one stage. It was a cheap shot against someone who would never play the game that way."
    For what its worth. I have never seen Buddy play with so much anger, which had a detrimental effect on his own game. Not sure what his issue with Hodge was? Also injury to Joey with a mere 14 possessions. I am sure these events will not happen every time we play Hawthorn. Would not throw the baby out with the Bath water just yet.!!

I'm pretty sure a third legal "NRL" style tackle triggers automatic calls for his suspension from the Melbourne media.
    Yes, I suspect that somewhere in the Herald Sun building, there is still a ducking stool or two.

pr. dim-melb; m not f

I think some people are missing the irony in the last sentence.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    For what its worth. I have never seen Buddy play with so much anger, which had a detrimental effect on his own game. Not sure what his issue with Hodge was? Also injury to Joey with a mere 14 possessions. I am sure these events will not happen every time we play Hawthorn. Would not throw the baby out with the Bath water just yet.!!
    Joey was tagged out of it by Howe allegedly.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Anyone know what Kennedys TOG was?