Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Changes for Rnd 20 V Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    After watching the replay, I thought Sinkers was pretty good. His ruckwork, particularly in the 1st qtr. was quite good against an in form ruckman. He moves well around the ground and influences a lot of the play. He still has a lot of weaknesses to his game, but it's a very good sign that he's making some real improvement this year.

Tippett, who was my pregame choice for ruckman, was barely passable, but did got better as the game wore on. I don't know if he can get back to last year's form. He's got to clunk marks and kick goals to be a value to the team.
    I pretty much agree, though I find that pre-game I now favour Sinkers over Tippett for selection. But I thought that on this one the commentators last night had it pretty right: Longmire and the Match Committee should play whoever is in form out of Naismith, Sinkers, and Tippo, and whoever is showing the most desire. I admire Sinkers not for prodigious talent - he doesn't have that - but because he appears to me to give it his all. Of course, we can't see inside people's heads. Maybe Tippo gives it his absolute best, too; but on appearance he sometimes seems less than fully involved in a game when he's not playing well. (Hence the [apocryphal?] story after last year's GF??) Certainly, if Tippo is to play, he has to make the kind of contribution Ludwig talks of; otherwise, he becomes a liability.

My other main reflection after last night's game is how it underscores that the doom-sayers after last week's loss have hopefully been given some perspective. I was quietly confident of a victory last night, and glad to see the boys deliver. Just as Hawthorn seem to be one team that trouble us (though the loss of two players pre-game didn't help last week), we have done pretty well against Geelong in recent years. More significantly, we've done pretty well against the rest of the competition, too. Last night's win was an important victory to steady the ship as we approach September.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    I am unsure if I am still on your 'to do' list.
    You're not on my 'to do' list. In fact, no one is. I just am of the opinion that there should more latitude given on RWO. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I'm used to being in the minority in most of my views, so it's no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You're not on my 'to do' list. In fact, no one is. I just am of the opinion that there should more latitude given on RWO. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I'm used to being in the minority in most of my views, so it's no big deal.
    Your views are most often creative and thought provoking. Your posts can be side splitting funny too. It brightens our lives, mine in particular. Keep at it...please.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    My other main reflection after last night's game is how it underscores that the doom-sayers after last week's loss have hopefully been given some perspective.
    It is funny, though. For so many teams right now a single victory or loss has the potential to determine their season. Had Essendon lost today, many would have been questioning them (and maybe the resting of Kelly). In a wide-open season many babies are getting thrown out with the bath water when the unexpected happens. If the Hawks knock off Richmond tomorrow, perhaps there might just be a few membership tickets nervously eyeing the microwave.

I would actually like the Hawks to make the finals - the idea of redemption is something I think the Swans would actually rise to this time around (all injuries aside).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    It is funny, though. For so many teams right now a single victory or loss has the potential to determine their season. Had Essendon lost today, many would have been questioning them (and maybe the resting of Kelly). In a wide-open season many babies are getting thrown out with the bath water when the unexpected happens. If the Hawks knock off Richmond tomorrow, perhaps there might just be a few membership tickets nervously eyeing the microwave.

I would actually like the Hawks to make the finals - the idea of redemption is something I think the Swans would actually rise to this time around (all injuries aside).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good comment, Matty10. Although Hawthorn seem to have had the edge over us recently, I agree that the best way to lay that demon to rest would be to confront it successfully in a finals game. On the other hand, I'm not too inconsolable that after today's loss, Hawthorn is unlikely to figure in this year's finals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Good comment, Matty10. Although Hawthorn seem to have had the edge over us recently, I agree that the best way to lay that demon to rest would be to confront it successfully in a finals game. On the other hand, I'm not too inconsolable that after today's loss, Hawthorn is unlikely to figure in this year's finals.

Though, I personally think that the ideal way to confront that particular demon, would be to take the premiership cup, on a tour of Melbourne's leafier eastern suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Though, I personally think that the ideal way to confront that particular demon, would be to take the premiership cup, on a tour of Melbourne's leafier eastern suburbs.
    I wouldn't mind that, either.

But once we'd thumbed our noses at the leafiest suburbs, bring it a little further south so I can watch it being paraded outside my home on the Mornington Peninsula.

I'm still thinking that I might be wearing my premiership club scarf to the 'G come the last week in September, and the dream of touring the cup around the suburbs is a particularly appealing one. Lots to be done right before then, however, so I'll not get too far ahead of reality.

Go Bloods!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Your views are most often creative and thought provoking. Your posts can be side splitting funny too. It brightens our lives, mine in particular. Keep at it...please.
    He's got a big enough head already.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617