Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 20 V Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I'd be very disappointed if we lost a player for that tackle.

Someone said JPK is out for 3 weeks - has that been confirmed?
    He's getting it scanned tomorrow so I don't know how they can say that

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Not much in that Dangerfield tackle imo. Even without the "top bloke" discount doubt he'll get rubbed out, he's pulled him down as part of the tackle not flung his face into the turf ala Mummy on Tippett.
    Except that there is an additional duty of care owed to a player who cannot protect himself because his arms are pinned.

I am not 'barracking' for Dangerfield to be suspended because we play Geelong next week (if we can't beat them with Dangerfield then we are just not good enough). But I think there is an important issue around pinning the arms in a tackle (good technique to stop the handball) and taking the player to the ground (bad technique if it causes the player's head to hit the ground).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    The positive of the loss was it highlights our weakenesses.

Towers is soft and needs to go. Reid replaces him.
    Towers soft?. He had the most tackles of any swan (8). If we lost due to lack of pressure it certainly wasnt towers fault. What game we you watching?

Hayward foote robinson 24 poss total
    you cant carry 3 of them
    this is also the reason Harry if fit can come straight back in no need to waste a week in the NEAFL if all you need to make up is 8 poss

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Except that there is an additional duty of care owed to a player who cannot protect himself because his arms are pinned.

I am not 'barracking' for Dangerfield to be suspended because we play Geelong next week (if we can't beat them with Dangerfield then we are just not good enough). But I think there is an important issue around pinning the arms in a tackle (good technique to stop the handball) and taking the player to the ground (bad technique if it causes the player's head to hit the ground).
    I actually hate the fact that players grab arms - I would like a rule change that mitigated its use (i.e. only when a fend off is used), so that a player is not deemed to be HTB if applied. There are way too many free kicks paid to players without prior opportunity trying to dispose of the ball with an arm held.

I appreciate that a fine line exists here, but I don't think Dangerfield transgressed, other than holding on too long once the ball was out (should have been a free kick to Carlton).

We do seem to be carrying a lot of players not able to play the game they want at the moment - tricky time for the selectors. I hope they only choose those who are fully fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    To counter the experience many have had on here, I sat behind 3-4 Hawks fans and had a really good natured banter running the whole game where each of us argued the merits of why free kicks were / weren't paid (Grundy running it OOB a few times in particular) & despite the tension of the game had a few laughs that took the sting out of the loss.
    Man, you are too nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    We do seem to be carrying a lot of players not able to play the game they want at the moment - tricky time for the selectors. I hope they only choose those who are fully fit.
    I found it interesting that Jon Anderson wrote this when reviewing premiership candidates: "Have a view that every side has two or three who wouldn�t have got a game a decade ago."

No Cookies | Herald Sun

I've watched Dawson live in 6 NEAFL games this year. I don't get why he is not in the seniors, despite the lateness in the season. If he is good enough play him.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I found it interesting that Jon Anderson wrote this when reviewing premiership candidates: "Have a view that every side has two or three who wouldn�t have got a game a decade ago."

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    He's right. A decade ago, there at least 72 fewer players playing AFL at top level. No Giants or Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    I'd be very disappointed if we lost a player for that tackle.

Someone said JPK is out for 3 weeks - has that been confirmed?
    No the rule is there for a reason n that's to stop concussion. It's a legit reason for suspension. Just like has had happened previously during the year. Would you prefer it be legal n then watch Hannebery, Parker n co get their head driven into the ground repeatedly? This is what the suspension is for to stop it not just at the top level but show suburban leagues n country leagues you can finish your career without have a brain injury. Concussion is very very serious. As I've stated previously I used to fight for a living. I fought at the highest level n in one of those fights I was stopped n received a severe concussion n it took 3 months to feel like a normal person. I'd wake up feeling drunk, unable to drive a car, unable to sleep, unable to stay awake, blurred vision etc it's a very serious issue. I recovered eventually but a half dozen fights later I called it a day. Not because I still had any more effects but because I didn't want any cognitive impairment later in life. So yes if a Sydney player did it I have no issues in suspension. It's not an accident, he pinned his arms n drove forward as hard as he could with his head getting driven into the turf. It's a week every day of the week but we all know why he won't get a week. And if your still unsure how a cognitive impairment can effect someone then go to a dementia care facility n watch someone eat their own faeces. If you can't stomach that then atleast go watch the movie concussion. It's a very very serious issue. Last words - one week.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Hayward foote robinson 24 poss total
    you cant carry 3 of them
    this is also the reason Harry if fit can come straight back in no need to waste a week in the NEAFL if all you need to make up is 8 poss
    a bit harsh to include Hayward with the other two, the ball was hardly seen in our forward 50.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I've watched Dawson live in 6 NEAFL games this year. I don't get why he is not in the seniors, despite the lateness in the season. If he is good enough play him.
    I reckon the coaches see some weakness in him that he needs to be working on. As with Mitchell, and his poor defence at the time.
    Must admit I have trouble seeing Dawson's problem, but far more experienced eyes than mine are doing the analysis.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast