Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future list and depth analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The problem is not with Aliir, it's with Longmire. It's Longmire that needs a stint in the 2s to improve his weak points. Rhyce Shaw can take over as the head coach. He seems to know what he's doing and all the players love him.
    I assume this is tongue and cheek given the seniors' form last night and over the last 13 rounds.

You are obsessed by Aliir, you can't help beating his drum at any opportunity. I actually would prefer to have Melican in the side (there I said it) as a KPD and I reckon Longmire, Blakey, Dew and a few other blokes that know a hell of a lot more about footy than you do feel the same way.

Why? Because he almost never makes a mistake and with Aliir you've always got your heart in your mouth and I like my defenders dour, risk free, boring and effective. Blue collar if you like.

Given he is not in our best 2 KPDs I'd like to know where you'd prefer to play him and who he should replace.

Yep it seems harsh for him not getting a run in the best 22 but surely last night's result might indicate the selectors aren't doing too bad a job.

Yes, I was just joking on the Longmire/Shaw swap, but I do think we need to play another tall defender to help mitigate getting caught out by some of the more clever coaches who know how to expose this weakness. I'm not sure if Aliir is the answer, but he's the best we have to fill that role and he did play very well in the seniors last year. I think it's worth a try. My idea is to play Aliir in the the role of Mills and move Mills to the midfield. We can only play one of our 3 ruckmen if this happens. Take your pick. Even though I've been critical of him, Sinclair would be my pick of the bunch right now. In the end, it will probably cost Towers his spot.

This structural change also gives us another tall marking target when kicking out from the goal square, another area we have had trouble with. It would also allow Rampe to play more as an extra in defence as he reads the play well and is good at marking in front of one on one contests. This structure is basically the same as we had back in the days when we played Reg, Ted and LRT as our 3 KPDs and Mattner played the role I propose for Rampe. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Veterans List
    Something was very obvious last night. Grundy will be very hard to replace. When he was off Geelong kicked 2 goals. When he came back, stability returned down back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Something was very obvious last night. Grundy will be very hard to replace. When he was off Geelong kicked 2 goals. When he came back, stability returned down back.
    And yet he still frustrates me - has for years.

My main gripe is the fact that he goes to ground for no apparent reason (like he thinks it gives him an acceptable out). I put it down to a lack of self-confidence (which, based only on what I see on-field, he seems to battle with). He really is an old-school defender at times - and maybe every team needs one. When he is up and about he is super hard to beat. I just wish Rampe was a bit taller.

Despite all my griping, he is absolutely one of our most important players - and he will be remembered as such - we would struggle if he got seriously injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing during the game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing during the game.
    Absobloodylutely,

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Talia

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Talia
    Really? What about Maibaum?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yes, I was just joking on the Longmire/Shaw swap, but I do think we need to play another tall defender to help mitigate getting caught out by some of the more clever coaches who know how to expose this weakness. I'm not sure if Aliir is the answer, but he's the best we have to fill that role and he did play very well in the seniors last year. I think it's worth a try. My idea is to play Aliir in the the role of Mills and move Mills to the midfield. We can only play one of our 3 ruckmen if this happens. Take your pick. Even though I've been critical of him, Sinclair would be my pick of the bunch right now. In the end, it will probably cost Towers his spot.

This structural change also gives us another tall marking target when kicking out from the goal square, another area we have had trouble with. It would also allow Rampe to play more as an extra in defence as he reads the play well and is good at marking in front of one on one contests. This structure is basically the same as we had back in the days when we played Reg, Ted and LRT as our 3 KPDs and Mattner played the role I propose for Rampe. It makes a lot of sense to me.
    I also think Aliir is on our best 22 as he is so dynamic, but I fear he is running our of time this year and if his form and confidence are dropping that is not a good sign. I was concerned by the way he was wrapped up in strapping last time I swa him in the NEAFL, can't be 100% like that. With a bit of luck he'll come back in 2018 as Aliir V.2017

I like the idea of him against GWS and Adelaide as both those teams often have three good talls and Aliir on the third KPF would work.

I just feel Deano may be the bridesmaid in all of this

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Really? What about Maibaum?
    Melican! Aliir or Maibaum into the third tall spot, depending on development.

Scottee, I agree with your comments.

I was especially pleased to see someone speaking up for Pink. I entirely agree with your comments about him in particular. Pink has a lot of good points and a lot of upside. It has to be remembered he is something like the 2nd youngest player at the club, still only 18 (even now - although his birthday is on Friday) and is playing a KPF role, the hardest role in the game, especially as a young player. Besides that we have no KPF depth on our list (if you count Cameron as a ruck) and it is the thing we most need and lack. So I hope and expect we'll keep him. But I trust our coaches and list managers much more than anyone here and so, if they did cut him, I would still back their judgment.

Overall I am a lot more bullish about our depth than you, 707. Such a bonus that we re-signed Dawson. He was one that might have gotten away given that he hasn't broken into the firsts yet and his contract was up.

I agree Murray is currently the most promising of our rookie prospects, moreso than Fisher.

It's not looking good for Talia but I don't agree that he is a definite de-list or even that he is definitely behind AJ.

I don't understand the ongoing calls to 'cut' Kizza or for him to retire. He's not old, he's still best 22, he offers leadership above just his playing ability but, and this is the critical point, he is still CONTRACTED. I think he may still have another 2 years to go and no doubt on a good wage. We can't 'cut' him and why on earth would he want to retire (unless he gets injured or something)?

I tend to think the end of this season is a good time for Macca to be retired despite his value to the team right now. His soft tissue injuries suggest his time is up. I think the way I might handle it is offer him pretty modest money and warn him he isn't assured of playing seniors and leave the decision to him in the expectation that he might decide to call it a day. I had thought it unthinkable that he would play anywhere else but the talk of him taking on a Sam Mitchell type deal at Carlton does make some sense especially if he wants a career in coaching.

To me, this thread seems to fall within the existing list management thread and so I think I will re-post my comment there too.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 7th August 2017 at 02:53 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    AJ is already contracted for 2018.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast