Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 19: Brisbane Lions Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves @ 'Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Did Cunningham do enough for a recall to the seniors?
    I'm not sure who he would replace, maybe Towers, but he is a pretty strong 23rd. I'm guessing Ludwig would put him in for Tippo ;-P
    Harry was okay, but looked a bit off match fitness and should need at least another week in the 2nds to get up to AFL pace. JPK is likely to replace Towers this week. And although Aliir had a lackluster 1st half and a generally off game, he was more active in the 2nd half and created a few of our best plays of the day including taking the ball in the ruck contest at a centre bounce, bursting forward and kicking perfect pass for a good shot on goal. He made another similar play in the same quarter. Aliir should replace Tippett this week. We need him to help cover Adelaide's forward line the following week and (hopefully) in the finals. With those changes, we should have our best of the season.

Brisbane had an incredibly tall team that gave us all sorts of trouble. Their 2 ruckman, Archie Smith and the rookie McInerney, were very good. They had plenty of players with senior experience and some impressive youngsters, including Academy star Connor Ballendon, who will drafted this year. I expect Brisbane to challenge for finals sooner than many think.

Brisbane in an interesting place to go looking for a KPP if we're not happy with our current lot. They have enough to fill the ranks of 3 teams.

Senior Player
    How close was the tag on Dawson from Beams? Interesting that they had the same amount of possessions.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Did Cunningham do enough for a recall to the seniors?
    I'm not sure who he would replace, maybe Towers, but he is a pretty strong 23rd. I'm guessing Ludwig would put him in for Tippo ;-P
    I wanted to write "Correction: Ludwig would put Aliir in for Tippo" - but the great man himself beat me to it.

Impressive that Dawson was tagged by an AFL player (i.e. Beams who has played over 50 AFL games) - I'd be flattered if I were him! And great experience.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I wanted to write "Correction: Ludwig would put Aliir in for Tippo" - but the great man himself beat me to it.

Impressive that Dawson was tagged by an AFL player (i.e. Beams who has played over 50 AFL games) - I'd be flattered if I were him! And great experience.
    I imagine it is something he is not use to, especially a hardened AFL player. Anyhow he was still in the Swans Best players.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Regular in the Side
    Hi UGG I see they are still giving Maibaum's goal to Robinson.

Yeah I tweeted to both NEAFL and Champion Data and didn't get any response from them.

Also, if you read their match report they clearly state Maibaum kicked a goal. Not sure what else we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    How close was the tag on Dawson from Beams? Interesting that they had the same amount of possessions.
    It's hard to tell when watching on TV as you are only catching glimpses, but I wouldn't say he was smothering him. From what I saw, Beams spent some time on Cunningham and Robinson in the 1st half. He moved to Dawson in the 2nd half. I believe Dawson then dragged him forward. But was having little impact and appeared to move back onto the ball in the last quarter. Dawson's numbers in the 2nd half were down as a result. But it is a compliment when the opposition coach rates you enough to send a senior capable player to you.

The bests are interesting. For a change they more or less follow the fantasy points. Also, there are only 5 instead of 6 - is that because we lost? Or just because there was no one else good enough to deserve a mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Harry was okay, but looked a bit off match fitness and should need at least another week in the 2nds to get up to AFL pace. JPK is likely to replace Towers this week. And although Aliir had a lackluster 1st half and a generally off game, he was more active in the 2nd half and created a few of our best plays of the day including taking the ball in the ruck contest at a centre bounce, bursting forward and kicking perfect pass for a good shot on goal. He made another similar play in the same quarter. Aliir should replace Tippett this week. We need him to help cover Adelaide's forward line the following week and (hopefully) in the finals. With those changes, we should have our best of the season.

Brisbane had an incredibly tall team that gave us all sorts of trouble. Their 2 ruckman, Archie Smith and the rookie McInerney, were very good. They had plenty of players with senior experience and some impressive youngsters, including Academy star Connor Ballendon, who will drafted this year. I expect Brisbane to challenge for finals sooner than many think.

Brisbane in an interesting place to go looking for a KPP if we're not happy with our current lot. They have enough to fill the ranks of 3 teams.
    It's funny how we see things differently, as IMO there is no way he can be considered for senior selection based on that performance. He doesn't have the key defensive capabilities to match either Walker, Jenkins, McGovern or Lynch. Horse will swing Reid back if he needs to. With the extra tall forward in the side, it gives us the flexibility to play Reid as the swing man without robbing a tall target in the forward line. In the past, it has left only Buddy and Rohan up forward as marking targets. Besides, the secret to stopping their forwards is to win the midfield battle.

Mate, we all know you love him, and we all know you think he is in the swans best 22. But with all due respect, could you please give it a rest. I enjoy reading your posts , but most now involve Aliir. It is becoming so tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    He doesn't have the key defensive capabilities to match either Walker, Jenkins, McGovern or Lynch.
    I said he had a poor day out, but so did most of the side, so did Buddy Franklin and Zak Jones. So I'm not basing my opinion on one game. He's been playing very well of late and had strung together a half dozen good games, both offensively and defensively, only interrupted by his knee injury. He played on Lynch last year and shut him out, so he has history on his side. And I'm not the only only who thinks he's in our best 22.

We can revisit these 'Aliir posts' some time in the future and I'm sure my views will be vindicated. I have a pretty good record on making early calls on players. Lloyd, Hewett and Newman to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Hi UGG I see they are still giving Maibaum's goal to Robinson.
    Updated stats

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast