Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 20. Geelong V Sydney. Simonds Stadium 19.50 pm.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooloo View Post
    ... It looked to me that Papley was hit right in this spot.
    and that is what he was probably telling Duncan at the end of the game.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Was a fair wind up to the punch as well. Unfair that Paps is being labelled a stager, Chris Scott started the debate in his presser trying to get Duncan off, same as Buckley saying Grundy's tackle was perfect which it wasn't because he allowed Brown's head to hit the ground hard when he had his arms pinned.

I hope the AFL don't get weak on any of this, any clenched fist thrown to any part of the body should be outlawed. After Cotchin's weak penalty, holding the jumper when doing it doesn't get leniency any more. The AFL has been clear on this so not sure how all the commentators are confused - once you pin a players arms he is helpless so at that moment you the tackler have a duty of care to ensure there isn't any injury to the tackled player.

Pretty simple really, on the footy field don't throw a clenched fist. Brain fades on the weekend by Duncan an Z Merrett whereas Hawkins is a serial offender. Not only these three but a few others will/should get matches this week, Mummy got a couple of incidents to worry about.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Agree 100%, I did Martial arts for a decade and boxing and there is that one spot near the rib cage that can be very painful. Its looks like Duncan hits the area. A place where professional Boxers never hit each other (Gentleman's agreement).

Regular in the Side
    I don't know when the rules or the interpretation of rules changed but these tackles where the player is being driven forward would once have been a free kick for in the back. They are now so hot on in the back in a marking contest yet let it go completely in a tackle. Does not make sense to me.

Match Day Thread Rnd 20. Geelong V Sydney. Simonds Stadium 19.50 pm.

Thanks you martial arts experts for confirmation, I just recall I temporarily thought I was dying when it happened to me!

I also think there is some possibility that Zach Tuohy might get fined for roughly shoving Papley while he was doubled up gasping for air. There is specific reference to 'unreasonable or unnecessary contact with an injured Player' in the MRP guidelines. That would wind up the Cats fans even further!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I also think there is some possibility that Zach Tuohy might get fined for roughly shoving Papley while he was doubled up gasping for air. There is specific reference to 'unreasonable or unnecessary contact with an injured Player' in the MRP guidelines. That would wind up the Cats fans even further!
    Meg, is there a rule for 'unreasonable or unnecessary contact with a player staging for a free kick'?

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Agree 100%, I did Martial arts for a decade and boxing and there is that one spot near the rib cage that can be very painful. Its looks like Duncan hits the area. A place where professional Boxers never hit each other (Gentleman's agreement).
    I fought as an amateur & pro in the fight game for 20 years n it's exactly the spot you'd want to strike at. It's how I got stopped fighting In the biggest fight of my life. Now if your talking sparring I'm in full agreement with you n it's why the dopey commentators say he faked it because in sparring you don't do that n that's the most experience they'd have. It hurts n it breaks ribs n takes everything out of you. The one that amazes me is the shots players keep getting hit with to the kidneys it's not just frowned up it's a point off if you keep doing it fighting. Those elbows that Martin kept getting from Robinson to the kidneys were just plain rediculous.

Paps should win an Oscar for his performance.

Well, I seriously wasn't expecting that win. Yes, I know, I should have more faith, but the first six weeks just broke me.

Did the swans play at all?
    Brucey was all about Dangerfield (who wasn't playing) and Selwood. I don't think there was anyone else on (or not on) the field at all.
    Brucey @@@@s me to high heaven.

Great win... bring on the fweo quokkas.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Meg, is there a rule for 'unreasonable or unnecessary contact with a player staging for a free kick'?
    Not sure the rule makers thought of that ... do you want to ensure Tuohy gets his wrist slapped whatever the view is on Papley?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    "The Swans small forward, Tom Papley, has been whacked twice in two weeks � by Luke Hodge and Mitch Duncan. While he has felt contact, his action to go to ground after each blow is gaining Papley a reputation as a diver. He said he was caught flush in the sternum area both times, and from the cheap seats, you can�t put yourself in Papley�s shoes. Still, it looks a touch theatrical."
    That is character assassination. Too many journalists take unnecessary pot-shots at players these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Papley cheerfully admitted to that! Sees it as part of his job description.
    Yes, I think he would be quite proud of it!

I just hope he keeps focusing on improving his football and doesn't stray into Stevie J/Ballantyne/Milne territory as I can't stand those types.

Senior Player
    The umpire that awarded the free kick was standing behind Papley. He would have seen Duncan move toward Papley with a striking motion, Papley double over, then Duncan retreat with his fist still clenched. He couldn't have seen the actual strike / impact. More a smoking gun interpretation of the events but the umpire could hardly be blamed for arriving at that conclusion.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan