Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 20. Geelong V Sydney. Simonds Stadium 19.50 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    Yes, I think he would be quite proud of it!

I just hope he keeps focusing on improving his football and doesn't stray into Stevie J/Ballantyne/Milne territory as I can't stand those types.
    I think Papley chirps rather than the physical niggle of those three. Papley also has a cricket background so would have lots of chirping experience!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post

Did the swans play at all?
    Brucey was all about Dangerfield (who wasn't playing) and Selwood. I don't think there was anyone else on (or not on) the field at all.
    That's how I felt as well except for the constant mention of Buddy being quiet, oh and Hayward being Longmire's favourite!

All the footy programs/articles seemed to focus on Geelong with the injuries and possible MRP suspensions. Not much discussion on us at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    That's how I felt as well except for the constant mention of Buddy being quiet, oh and Hayward being Longmire's favourite!

All the footy programs/articles seemed to focus on Geelong with the injuries and possible MRP suspensions. Not much discussion on us at all.
    ... and that really saddens me. We won, after all.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Ah, Paps is so not of the usual Swans mould it is quite refreshing. I can't imagine that moves by Horse or the leaders to squash him would have much impact. He must have been one of those kids who create mayhem and then say with a surprised look, 'who, me?' I agree with Meg, he is more of a tiresome vocal chirper than a physical niggler, at least I hope that is the case!

Interesting Hewett was again beating a top player until that player had to leave the field. The umpires were pulling frees from a bag last Friday and of course one of the players getting a treat not a trick was of course Joel.

I'm still peeved at the amount of incorrect disposal the umpires lat go. I counted 17 in the first 10 minutes, Cats 13 Us 4. These are the ones they did not pick up and I don't know how they didn't as I only saw the game on telly and could see every one clearly yet they are within metres of the contest and there are three. I think they need to change their positioning as I believe their positioning is all wrong. It doesn't allow them to view the action from the right angles to make good decisions. But other than that I think there is little will from the 'Yucky Yuppy' to fix it.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Interesting Hewett was again beating a top player until that player had to leave the field. The umpires were pulling frees from a bag last Friday and of course one of the players getting a treat not a trick was of course Joel.

I'm still peeved at the amount of incorrect disposal the umpires lat go. I counted 17 in the first 10 minutes, Cats 13 Us 4. These are the ones they did not pick up and I don't know how they didn't as I only saw the game on telly and could see every one clearly yet they are within metres of the contest and there are three. I think they need to change their positioning as I believe their positioning is all wrong. It doesn't allow them to view the action from the right angles to make good decisions. But other than that I think there is little will from the 'Yucky Yuppy' to fix it.
    One thing amazes me. Joel bends the knees and drop one of his shoulders, so there is a good chance he will be caught high, and of course the umps will always pay it, as they did on Friday Night. Other players do exactly the same and the Ump calls out "You ducked into it" (Even other Geelong Players!)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Hawkins 2 weeks, sentence impacted by bad record
    Duncan 1 week

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    One thing amazes me. Joel bends the knees and drop one of his shoulders, so there is a good chance he will be caught high, and of course the umps will always pay it, as they did on Friday Night. Other players do exactly the same and the Ump calls out "You ducked into it" (Even other Geelong Players!)
    His second ankle injury occurred in a Buddy tackle that he tried to wriggle out of by dropping a shoulder and raising an arm. His ankle might have got twisted up with Buddy's legs even if he hadn't tried to squirm out of it. But on the other hand, maybe not.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Hawkins 2 weeks, sentence impacted by bad record
    Duncan 1 week
    LOL. So they'll go into their game against Richmond without their 2nd and 3rd best midfielders (and with their best still reportedly having a sore foot), plus their number one key forward. I hope (for their sake, so I don't really care too much either way) that Motlop and/or Menzel is OK to play or they may struggle to field a team at all. They do have Stanley in reserve to come in and present as a tall target up forward.

Veterans List
    Charges Laid:
    Tom Hawkins, Geelong Cats, has been charged with striking Dane Rampe, Sydney Swans, during the second quarter of the Round 20 match between the Geelong Cats and the Sydney Swans played at Domain Stadium on Friday August 4, 2017.

In summary, due to a previous poor record, his two-match sanction is increased by one further game to three matches and he can accept a two-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Sydney Swans Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional contact with low impact to the face. The incident was classified as a two-match sanction. A poor record over the last two seasons increases the penalty by one-game to a three-match sanction. An early plea enables the player to accept a two-match sanction.

Mitch Duncan, Geelong Cats, has been charged with a striking Tom Papley, Sydney Swans, during the fourth quarter of the Round 20 match between the Geelong Cats and the Sydney Swans, played at Domain Stadium on Friday August 4, 2017.

In summary he can accept one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Sydney Swans Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with medium impact to the body. The incident was classified as a two-match sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a one-match sanction.

Veterans List
    Correct penalties and maybe now the vilification of Papley can cease. He was hit reasonably hard in a critical place that left him winded. The diving crap has me really annoyed.

Might pop over to the Geelong board to read about how they were hard done by.

I also thought there was poetic justice in Selwood sliding into a high tackle and thereby maybe twisting his ankle. Up one free kick, down three crucial games - nice!

The Geelong fans are currently losing their @@@@ over the charges. But whether Papley milked a free kick or not, it's just plain stupidity to throw any type of punch this year after so many players have been sanctioned for it. Especially Hawkins who has already been suspended for a jumper punch.

Despite being 6 points clear, I reckon Geelong could easily slip out of the top 4