Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 20. Geelong V Sydney. Simonds Stadium 19.50 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Both Duncan and Merrett wound up the punch, Hodge just "steel armed".

Good to see the AFL holding firm, any punch will now draw a penalty, whenever you pin the arms and a player hits his head there will be consequences.
    Both good developments. Punching of any kind is not on. I wonder how they would now call Barry Hall's prelim gut punch from 2005. You'd have to think he would have been gone today.

Also pinning the arms in itself achieves the aim of negating any handball. Absolutely no need to drive them into the ground unprotected. Police it hard, I say. These calls in recent weeks will go a long way towards eliminating that from the game and that has to be a good thing for reducing the concussion incidents which will be a legal millstone for contact sport codes (and potentially individuals) going forward.

I agree that it is good policy to outlaw punches and pinning players arms and then concussing them. And I agree that now it the policy is law they need to consistently enforce it and it will mostly disappear - if they don't that's when problems will arise. This doesn't make the game soft it just takes it away from thuggery (in the case of jumper punches) and looks after the players (in demanding a higher duty of care towards a player whose arms are pinned).

Interestingly, Paul Roos has come out and said he coaches his players NOT to take their opponent to ground in the tackle because, by doing so, the player will themselves go to ground and then be out of play, including if their tackle is unsuccessful and their opponent keeps their feet.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I agree that it is good policy to outlaw punches and pinning players arms and then concussing them. And I agree that now it the policy is law they need to consistently enforce it and it will mostly disappear - if they don't that's when problems will arise. This doesn't make the game soft it just takes it away from thuggery (in the case of jumper punches) and looks after the players (in demanding a higher duty of care towards a player whose arms are pinned).

Interestingly, Paul Roos has come out and said he coaches his players NOT to take their opponent to ground in the tackle because, by doing so, the player will themselves go to ground and then be out of play, including if their tackle is unsuccessful and their opponent keeps their feet.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Mumford is the only Swan to be rubbed out for a dangerous tackle. Jay Schultz essentially ended Ted's career.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post

Did the swans play at all?
    Brucey was all about Dangerfield (who wasn't playing) and Selwood. I don't think there was anyone else on (or not on) the field at all.
    Brucey @@@@s me to high heaven.
    Totally agree. That bit where Geelong got a goal after that horrific bounce that totally favoured the Geelong player and Brucey goes,"Maybe, maybe...yes, yes, yes!!!!" I nearly spewed. Fair dinkum, he was barracking for them all night......a complete douche. Post edit: Titus O'Reilly's view on this: "Geelong (61) v Sydney (107)

This was all Matthew Kreuzer�s fault. If he hadn�t been so selfish as to go and concuss himself in that Dangerfield tackle, none of this would have happened.

The Channel Seven commentary team were obviously devastated with Dangerfield being out, showing him in a box so often that it felt stalker-ish." Gotta love Titus!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 8th August 2017 at 12:59 AM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    My first visit to Kardinia Park in 36 years, and very enjoyable it was. Great team effort, just harder at it all night, and taking our chances. That said, Parker was enormous.

Excellent stadium, mostly pretty pleasant crowd (they did get a little narky with me when I suggested perhaps that the Selwoods hadn't earned their third high tackle free kick in a minute just before half time) and surprisingly clement conditions. Would do again!
    I went to the round 16 game last year and can attest to the Geelong fans behaviour, where I sat anyway (members, he he!), they were loud and passionate but largely fair and reasonable and took the defeat in pretty good grace. I was quite impressed......as for the Hawk fans I witnessed at last weeks game at the 'G, well, that was another story completely.

Veterans List
    More to add to post 304 from Titus....."Little did Channel Seven know it would get worse, with Geelong folding like a dodgy camping chair in the first quarter and Joel Selwood injuring his ankle.

Geelong�s medical staff patched Selwood�s ankle up and sent him back out, which seems weird given he has now been ruled out for four to six weeks.

Oh well, I�m no doctor and I�m beginning to suspect neither are they.

Cameron Ling managed to keep commentating in between sobs, which was a brave effort but the darkness that descended over the commentary team was palpable.

They were so flat they even mentioned the Swans once or twice." He finishes with this gem, "An all Sydney Grand Final is still on the cards, or as I like to call it �The End of Days.� " He is brilliant!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches votes make for interesting reading

9 Parker
    6 McVeigh
    5 Duncan
    5 Hannebery
    3 Reid
    1 Menegola
    1 Papley

Parker 5-4
    McVeigh 4-2
    Duncan 5-0 or 3-2
    Hannebery 5-0 or 3-2
    Reid 3-0
    Menegola 1-0
    Papley 1-0

Can't imagine Scott giving Papley 1 vote after his post match comments. Also you would suspect Duncan received 5 votes from Scott and 0 from Horse rather than the other way around.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

9 Parker
    6 McVeigh
    5 Duncan
    5 Hannebery
    3 Reid
    1 Menegola
    1 Papley

Parker 5-4
    McVeigh 4-2
    Duncan 5-0 or 3-2
    Hannebery 5-0 or 3-2
    Reid 3-0
    Menegola 1-0
    Papley 1-0

Can't imagine Scott giving Papley 1 vote after his post match comments. Also you would suspect Duncan received 5 votes from Scott and 0 from Horse rather than the other way around.
    If anyone gave Duncan best on ground, they are clearly deluded.........oh wait, it's Chris Scott. You may have a point.

Veteran Site Admin

9 Parker
    6 McVeigh
    5 Duncan
    5 Hannebery
    3 Reid
    1 Menegola
    1 Papley

Parker 5-4
    McVeigh 4-2
    Duncan 5-0 or 3-2
    Hannebery 5-0 or 3-2
    Reid 3-0
    Menegola 1-0
    Papley 1-0

I saw those votes last night and reached the same conclusion as you, including which coach was more likely to have given Duncan 5 votes. (I think it is obvious who gave Papley one vote.) It is possible, I suppose that Hanners got five from one coach and Duncan got votes from both.

9 Parker
    6 McVeigh
    5 Duncan
    5 Hannebery
    3 Reid
    1 Menegola
    1 Papley

Parker 5-4
    McVeigh 4-2
    Duncan 5-0 or 3-2
    Hannebery 5-0 or 3-2
    Reid 3-0
    Menegola 1-0
    Papley 1-0

It's actually a really good little maths/logical reasoning puzzle to work out the possible voting scores of each coach/player. I'm getting my kids onto it.

I have visions of the mighty Ugg looking forward to the scores being published each week as one would a daily sudoku.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    What annoys me when watching the Hawkins incident is that the umpire is looking right at him when he punches Rampe and yet he didn't pay a free.

I actually think 2 weeks was harsh for that incident especially when you compare it to the Cotchin one. But I guess his history doesn't help.

And how did they classify Duncan and Merrett different to Hodge? Very confusing.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Yes I noticed the ump was about 2 meters away from the Hawkins punch to Rampe and of course no free kick. It would not be so bad until you think of Heeney received free kicks against him over the last 2 weeks for a so called 'dangerous rugby tackle". Tackle to the ground is free kick , a punch to the throat is play on???

With the (now) emphasis on dangerous tackles when the arms are pinned, the 2 Heeney tackles are certainly not dangerous free kicks