Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 20. Geelong V Sydney. Simonds Stadium 19.50 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches votes make for interesting reading

9 Parker
    6 McVeigh
    5 Duncan
    5 Hannebery
    3 Reid
    1 Menegola
    1 Papley

Parker 5-4
    McVeigh 4-2
    Duncan 5-0 or 3-2
    Hannebery 5-0 or 3-2
    Reid 3-0
    Menegola 1-0
    Papley 1-0

Can't imagine Scott giving Papley 1 vote after his post match comments. Also you would suspect Duncan received 5 votes from Scott and 0 from Horse rather than the other way around.
    I just don't get the love in around Duncan. A good player that gets lots of the ball - yes. But the game changer many suggest he is - absolutely not in my book.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I saw those votes last night and reached the same conclusion as you, including which coach was more likely to have given Duncan 5 votes. (I think it is obvious who gave Papley one vote.) It is possible, I suppose that Hanners got five from one coach and Duncan got votes from both.
    The prospect of Duncan receiving 5 votes is so absurd that Scott must have given Hannebery 5. Kind of surprised Papley got a vote. I thought his performance was down compared to others of late. I had Rampe and Jack at least ahead of him.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I just don't get the love in around Duncan. A good player that gets lots of the ball - yes. But the game changer many suggest he is - absolutely not in my book.
    I think Duncan is a pretty good player and he's had a pretty good season. If it didn't interrupt the narrative around Geelong being a two-player team, I think he'd get more recognition for how he's played this year. But I think he's had far more impact in other Geelong games this year than he did on Friday night. He got a lot of the ball and was probably their best player, but the Swans were very effective in frustrating the Cats' ball movement for most of the night, and lots of Duncan's possessions (and his team mates') consisted of short passes that got their team absolutely nowhere.

To me it appeared like the swans were happier to negate geelongs effectiveness from the clearance so we had an easy ball for our defenders to swallow up then rebound

This sounds a little counter intuitive but if u think about the reverse and we send in hot non directed entries we would have been in serious trouble against a strong defence

Either that or an under strength geelong midfield made our midfield look inferior in clearance work

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    To me it appeared like the swans were happier to negate geelongs effectiveness from the clearance so we had an easy ball for our defenders to swallow up then rebound

This sounds a little counter intuitive but if u think about the reverse and we send in hot non directed entries we would have been in serious trouble against a strong defence

Either that or an under strength geelong midfield made our midfield look inferior in clearance work
    I suspect a bit of both.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

1. We do that every week it appears.
    2. When we do get a centre clearance it is generally scrappy.
    3. Happens most weeks. Our centre clearance work is normally poor. Even the worst midfield does us on centre clearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    3. Happens most weeks. Our centre clearance work is normally poor. Even the worst midfield does us on centre clearances.
    Yet we are often described as having one of the best midfields in the comp.

Please explain?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yet we are often described as having one of the best midfields in the comp.

Please explain?
    We do have higher stoppages per game, therefore more clearances, so Joe Blow Lazy Journalist looks at the raw numbers. We are ranked 11th for clearance differential. We are also, interestingly, 16th in tackle differential.

One surprising thing, compared to RWO accepted knowledge, is we have a higher free kick for differential than Hawthorn.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...type=DA&sby=29
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    1. We do that every week it appears.
    2. When we do get a centre clearance it is generally scrappy.
    Hey nico what I left out was that we could have easily cleared out sideways or backwards but we chose in this game not to play much uncontested and simply play direct in attack from the rebound

We allowed geelong to do this more so but our defence was stacked and still mjmjmed their uncontested game plan which was poorly executed

Ugly game to watch
    But effective

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627