Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J.McVeigh next year

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Unthinkable for him to play elsewhere
    History is littered with club icons who were unthinkable of playing somewhere else ... but did

Last night was his best game in 5 years, but I still think this is his last year.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Last night was his best game in 5 years, but I still think this is his last year.
    I think it's in everyone's interest that 1) we make finals 2) Macca plays his 300 3) we win the Grand Final 4) Macca retires.

Just have to win the next 7

Veterans List
    If he is up to it, he plays on. Our backline has been so solid since he came back in. If we win the GF this year, that may/probably will change things......

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    If he is up to it, he plays on. Our backline has been so solid since he came back in. If we win the GF this year, that may/probably will change things......
    Agree. Depends on how he feels his body is holding up, and how long it takes him to recover after a match. He's certainly playing well enough to go again, if he wants to and thinks his body can play most games next year.

I know it's fashionable to start retiring players as soon as they hit their 30th birthday but plenty of players nowadays play on into their mid-thirties. Others from his vintage are set to play on next year - such as Goddard, and Well who the Pies signed to a three year contract despite a far more injury-chequered recent career than McVeigh's.

Veterans List
    Looked better last night with the beard cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Looked better last night with the beard cut off.
    More kissable!

Definitely has a place in the best 22 if he wants to play on.

What are our thoughts on K.Jack though? Has been huge for our revival this year, but I feel he is more easily replaced than Mcveigh is.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    Definitely has a place in the best 22 if he wants to play on.

What are our thoughts on K.Jack though? Has been huge for our revival this year, but I feel he is more easily replaced than Mcveigh is.
    Why do we want to replace him? He's playing good footy and is barely 30. There's no-one running around in the reserves that he's keeping out of the side.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Why do we want to replace him? He's playing good footy and is barely 30. There's no-one running around in the reserves that he's keeping out of the side.
    Totally agree with you. Its not as if we now have a lot of old players we have lotsof youngsters

Based on current form I can see no reason why we wouldn't want to keep McVeigh next year for his leadership and poise he brings to the defence.

It's not like he is keeping anyone out of the side who must be playing defence/ I imagine he's have to be prepared to take a haircut wages wise but most players don't mind that when they've been on good coin for a few years.

Of course if he gets his 300 games and premiership medal he may deem it a good time to retire

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Based on current form I can see no reason why we wouldn't want to keep McVeigh next year for his leadership and poise he brings to the defence.

It's not like he is keeping anyone out of the side who must be playing defence/ I imagine he's have to be prepared to take a haircut wages wise but most players don't mind that when they've been on good coin for a few years.

Of course if he gets his 300 games and premiership medal he may deem it a good time to retire
    I'm at a game n got a message from a family member to say Carlton & Essendon are attempting to get him there in a similar situation to Sam Mitchell in a future coaching role, reported on game day. Can anyone confirm this please?

All good just walked into the club rooms n saw it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast