Thread: NEAFL Expansion

NEAFL Expansion

Not sure if this has been discussed before but Cairns has been given the green light for a team in 2020

No Cookies | The Cairns Post

Hopefully there is enough AFL funding and local engagement that the NEAFL side does not decimate the local Cairns AFL competition. One would assume the rich and powerful Cazaly's club will bankroll the club and that they will be able to attract many new NEAFL standard players to the region.

The current 10 team comp, whilst better for playing standards, is not ideal as it involves too many byes. I imagine a 12 team 22 round comp is the long term goal with long term development in the markets involved.

I wonder where the 12th team could come from? Personally I can't see Sydney sustaining a second NEAFL team for a long time and there are no existing clubs with anywhere near the financial stability to consider the step up given that Baulkham Hills, traditionally one of the better run Sydney AFL clubs, was almost bankrupted by its NEAFL foray. A second NT team would not seem viable as you feel the NT Thunder meets their needs quite nicely. A Tassie team? Would be very strong, possibly too strong, but not sure it would be good for Tassie footy or accepted by the Taswegians. A Wagga based side would have to be heavily AFL bankrollled, would decimate the local comps and would also weaken the ACT team.

Honestly can't see where they'd get a 12th team but 11 teams and 20 games will be an improvement

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I believe that article is a hypothetical, and that Cairns hasn't been awarded a licence

In terms of number of games both the VFL and SANFL play 18 home and away games while the WAFL plays 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Not sure if this has been discussed before but Cairns has been given the green light for a team in 2020

No Cookies | The Cairns Post

Hopefully there is enough AFL funding and local engagement that the NEAFL side does not decimate the local Cairns AFL competition. One would assume the rich and powerful Cazaly's club will bankroll the club and that they will be able to attract many new NEAFL standard players to the region.

The current 10 team comp, whilst better for playing standards, is not ideal as it involves too many byes. I imagine a 12 team 22 round comp is the long term goal with long term development in the markets involved.

I wonder where the 12th team could come from? Personally I can't see Sydney sustaining a second NEAFL team for a long time and there are no existing clubs with anywhere near the financial stability to consider the step up given that Baulkham Hills, traditionally one of the better run Sydney AFL clubs, was almost bankrupted by its NEAFL foray. A second NT team would not seem viable as you feel the NT Thunder meets their needs quite nicely. A Tassie team? Would be very strong, possibly too strong, but not sure it would be good for Tassie footy or accepted by the Taswegians. A Wagga based side would have to be heavily AFL bankrollled, would decimate the local comps and would also weaken the ACT team.

Honestly can't see where they'd get a 12th team but 11 teams and 20 games will be an improvement
    North Shore Bombers are planning to launch a Neafl team. I think Sydney needs a second neafl club. Every year there are 6-9 19 year olds coming out of the swans academy looking for a neafl team, plus some gws. Sydney uni is struggling to accomodate them. For the academy they also need to provide more neafl opportunities than just the swans seconds to provide a strong case for players to stay in Sydney.

Having said all that one of the rumours is that the neafl will be disbanded around 2020 in favour of an east coast comp comprising the four northern state AFL clubs plus the Melbourne afl seconds sides. It would be a 14 side comp.

Unfortunately it would destroy the pathway for talented young players who did not get drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    North Shore Bombers are planning to launch a Neafl team. I think Sydney needs a second neafl club. Every year there are 6-9 19 year olds coming out of the swans academy looking for a neafl team, plus some gws. Sydney uni is struggling to accomodate them. For the academy they also need to provide more neafl opportunities than just the swans seconds to provide a strong case for players to stay in Sydney.

Having said all that one of the rumours is that the neafl will be disbanded around 2020 in favour of an east coast comp comprising the four northern state AFL clubs plus the Melbourne afl seconds sides. It would be a 14 side comp.

Unfortunately it would destroy the pathway for talented young players who did not get drafted.
    It will need to the AFL to fund it massively. Sydney Uni have a pretty compelling model for the second tier players and they will be hard to compete with - for example if BJ can't find another AFL club at the end this year he can get a degree fully funded plus a good level of footy without having to leave Sydney. And hopefully a good job via the SUANFC and SUSA old boy network.

Re the 2020 East Coast Comp, I can see that being the case. I am in two minds re that. For the Swans it will be good I think. And for the VFA clubs like Port, Williamstown and Franston (when readmitted as is rumoured) then I think playing in a comp (call it the VFA again please) will be much more authemtic IMO than having it tainted with AFL programmes.

The downside is as you point out, the weakening if the pathway. I guess it would be limited to about 15-20 toppies from Sysdey for the GWS/Swans Ressies sides. Realistically I don't think there are many more players in Sydney than that who have a hope of getting drafted. Personally I'd prefer to see the huge AFL funding that Sydney Uni get for their NEAFL redistributed more fairly across all Sydney clubs rather than just one club being the major beneficiary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I believe that article is a hypothetical, and that Cairns hasn't been awarded a licence

In terms of number of games both the VFL and SANFL play 18 home and away games while the WAFL plays 20.
    Yeah I think you are right there, and I also think that the 14 team AFL reserves comp is much more likely (and also much better IMO)