Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Rd 21 v Freo

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    I'd prefer to rest Kennedy for one more week. Wouldn't want him going down with a 21 day hammy on the weekend n miss first week of the finals.

No change
    Agreed.

I'd be super cautious with Joey, he has been incredibly durable for us but maybe father time is starting to creep up slowly on him with soft tissue injuries.

It's a ripper of a position to be in at the moment. Joey will be the only player certain to come back in to the squad. Even Sammy, if Tippett and Sinclair keep combining well and doing the business, may not get back in. You've got a heap of players (Towers, Newman, Tippett, Sinclair, Hayward) playing for their spots every week so it's just impossible to see any complacency setting in.

I think our best 22 is almost set: for mine I see the us having the following four as emergencies come GF day - Towers (midfield), Harry C (small forward), Tippett/Sammy/Sinclair (Ruck/KPF) and Aliir (KPD). Any other changes and we have enough flexibility to move players around a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    You may be right but I hope they give it to Sinclair. I agree we'd be better with a solo ruckman in Naismith but Sinclair (if fully fit) should be able to put up a good contest by himself. I prefer the structure of a one ruckman team
    Naismith and Tippett gives us options too, for example if we need Sammy to go down back because either Reg or Lewis get knocked out in the first minute of a key final then Tippo can play as the key forward. I just think the extra tall gives a few more options if things go pear-shaped

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    On a a recent video interview with Heeney on Swans website, Heeney said the players like Sweet Caroline - it gets them going!
    I was startled while watching The Chaser to discover that the Boston Red Sox have adopted "Sweet Caroline" as an anthem.

Boston Red Sox - Wikipedia
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

It would have to be between Towers/Tippett/Sinclair for Kennedy this round. And I can't see either Tippett or Sinkers rucking out a game just yet, which would make Towers the unfortunate player to be dropped.
    My only concern is if that would make our team balance too tall and slow

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I was startled while watching The Chaser to discover that the Boston Red Sox have adopted "Sweet Caroline" as an anthem.

And to think of all of all those great bands that came from Boston. Go figure.

I reckon #23 and #10 have been our two biggest passengers this past fortnight. I'm not saying we should drop either of them, but they sure can play a hell of a lot better. Joey should only return if he's 100%.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post

You think they'd go with "More than a Feeling".

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Leave Towers alone. He's doing OK.
    I've been a huge proponent of Towers since everyone came down on him for his end of game errors.
    I'd like to see him stay in the team, but who comes out for Kennedy?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Towers isn't going anywhere. Just put him on the bench for the last few minutes in tight games.
    Way to perpetuate the negativity....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Towers has to be the one to go for Kennedy. Pretty simple really.

Would be crazy to change the Tippett/Sinclair combination.

Tippett will be our #1 ruck by finals if he stays injury free and will go back to being an absolute lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    On a a recent video interview with Heeney on Swans website, Heeney said the players like Sweet Caroline - it gets them going!
    I cannot quite believe anyone could be fired up by Neil Diamond unless they mean it makes them angry. Has anyone analysed our 2nd quarters at home and away to see if there is a 'Sweet Caroline Effect'?

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Towers has to be the one to go for Kennedy. Pretty simple really.

Would be crazy to change the Tippett/Sinclair combination.

Tippett will be our #1 ruck by finals if he stays injury free and will go back to being an absolute lock.
    Yes Tippett/ Sinclair combination needs to stay for at least one more week. Bit worried about Buddy's form over the last two weeks. Could it be worthwhile to rest him? I would leave out Towers and Buddy and include Kennedy and Dawson, and Reid can play full forward and Dawson in the mid field.

Two questions at selection:

1. Has Horse reverted to 2 rucks or is it personnel dependent? I suspect he's been scarred by BigBoyGate and will continue to play 2.

2. Whether to play Joey and if so who goes out. Horse isn't big on resting players, but we very rarely have major hammy injuries. I reckon if he's right to play they'll play him.

Callum Sinclair outplayed Tippo but Tippo has way more upside and is much more of a genuine forward.

IN: Kennedy, Naismith
    OUT: Towers, Sinkers

If Kennedy isn't right I'd like to see them roll the dice and give Dawson a run in place of Towers, but that's almost certainly not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

1. Has Horse reverted to 2 rucks or is it personnel dependent? I suspect he's been scarred by BigBoyGate and will continue to play 2.
    What McEvoy proved was that neither Sinclair nor Naismith can defend, not that we need 2 ruckmen. What it showed is that we need 1 ruckman plus another defender to cover a good ruckman who can take marks around the ground and kick goals.

Since Aliir will never play again in the senior side, Reid may have to play in defence. We can go with a small forward, a la Richmond, who have had good success playing a single KPF. If we play Richmond in the finals, Reid can move forward again. We will need Reid to play in defence anyway against Adelaide, so we might as well get some practice this week.

Last year we played Reg, Aliir, Rampe, Marsh and Laidler against Adelaide, with Rampe taking Walker. It seemed to work well. So Marsh or Laidler are other options if we want to leave Reid forward.

Forget Dawson. If he wasn't selected in the last two weeks, he's cooked for 2017.

And let's cut this " drop towers" nonsense

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast