Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Changes Rd 21 v Freo

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Loving the 'no changes', notwithstanding going without Joey. I'd rather have him back fully fit anyway. I have enjoyed watching Naismith all season, but am finding myself thinking that the Tippett/Sinclair combination will be the preferred set up going into September. Sinclair's break-out game deep in the forward 50 must give opposing coaches nightmares, especially as KT gets some match fitness and form back and can take more of the ruckwork on. Sinclair seems to be quite handy at ground level, and is putting in some great body work. A big marking FF takes the pressure of Buddy and allows for Reid to roll back to tighten up the closing minutes of quarters. I reckon Tippett is about to come good. Also glad to see Towers get some continuity. He was down last week, but still worked hard and put himself in good places. KJ has been very important these past few weeks, and I'm hoping that McVeigh sticks around for at least another season.
    Sadly won't get to the game tomorrow. First miss in a long time. Cheer cheer.
    excellent analysis - fully agree. naismith doesn't give us anything up fwd

In terms of the ruck tall combos being floated around, I honestly do not mind who plays out of Tippo, Naismith and Sinclair. I would have said that Sinclair was the weakest of the three, but his game has improved since coming back into the side. Obviously, we need to weigh up who is in form and opposition matchups too. The big reason for dropping any would be injuries as I don't think we have an ideal prefered first and second string ruckman order.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    ALA Mitch Morton you think? :-)
    Or selecting Reid in the 2016 grand final.. brave calls that won us flags.

Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Loving the 'no changes', notwithstanding going without Joey. I'd rather have him back fully fit anyway. I have enjoyed watching Naismith all season, but am finding myself thinking that the Tippett/Sinclair combination will be the preferred set up going into September.
    There's no doubt that Naismith would be the high-risk option for the finals. He's still a novice - very much the "project" player still learning his craft - and susceptible to injury under the rigours of playing as first ruck.

Sinclair now has three full seasons of senior rucking under his belt, and Tippett has been rucking on-and-off for a decade. Naismith is the future, but for this year, and probably next, I suspect he'll be the back-up to the two senior rucks. It would certainly help Naismith's case if he was more dominant around the ground - he gets beaten in the marking contests too often, and he's only kicked 3 goals in 3 years.

Nevertheless, I think we're very fortunate to have Tippett/Sinclair in the ruck for the present, and Naismith/Cameron building for the future.

Fremantle have a very big lump of a lad as their only ruck - Sandilands size. He is only 18 years and 6 games; was rested last week, so it will be interesting how our 2 rucks expose him (or not!)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    There's no doubt that Naismith would be the high-risk option for the finals. He's still a novice - very much the "project" player still learning his craft - and susceptible to injury under the rigours of playing as first ruck.

Sinclair now has three full seasons of senior rucking under his belt, and Tippett has been rucking on-and-off for a decade. Naismith is the future, but for this year, and probably next, I suspect he'll be the back-up to the two senior rucks. It would certainly help Naismith's case if he was more dominant around the ground - he gets beaten in the marking contests too often, and he's only kicked 3 goals in 3 years.

Nevertheless, I think we're very fortunate to have Tippett/Sinclair in the ruck for the present, and Naismith/Cameron building for the future.
    Naismith gets his hand on the ball first a lot of the time. He is very agile and applies more chase and pressure. Will be very surprised if he in not playing in our first final. Has been front and centre during our run from 0-6.

It's a real dilemma when you've got 3 mediocre ruckmen.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Naismith gets his hand on the ball first a lot of the time. He is very agile and applies more chase and pressure. Will be very surprised if he in not playing in our first final. Has been front and centre during our run from 0-6.
    Sam is also doing his fair share of bash and crash around the packs, a la Mummy. Still early days but he looks to be learning the craft well - not as classy as a Kreuzer or a Nic Nat, but as a big hard bodied enforcer that can create space for his inside mids. I like the way he's progressing.

The forecast is fine but quite windy today apparently. The stands tend to block most of it out though.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678