Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sam Reid Contract

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I, for one, don't really care about the worth of the deal now that he's signed as

1) the deal is done & we're stuck with it

2) I trust our list managers - they have been pretty good for quite some time now

3) I don't see how Sam's income is really anyone else business except his (I'll include his manager and anyone Sam chooses to share the information with), the Club's (for list management purposes and as the employer) & the AFL's (for salary cap purposes and contract ratification).

It's not his teammates (that just potentially breed's jealousy, it's not the public's.

With respect Barry, how would you like it if your income details were printed here on RWO - if your response is to state your income, which is easy to do with total anonymity, then perhaps substantiate it with a copy of your tax return so that it's known to be authentic.

Now of course I don't want you to share your income details Barry! The point I'm trying to make is that it is personal information & my opinion is that the public don't have the right to expect to know it.
    I don't think any (or many) of us actually want to know the exact salary details of our players but they do have a funny way of usually coming out via the press n the higher profile cases.

And I think it is only natural that we will be intrigued by them given we are all working within a salary cap system and the challenges and opportunities this presents. And I think it's na�ve to think we won't speculate.

I thought Sammy was gone purely out of economics but it's pretty much standard that happy players will stay for what they can get elsewhere and that good players can always get more elsewhere if they are dollar driven. It's why it's so much better if you can build your own list - look at the mess Collingwood are in with the likes of Mayne getting $500,000 a year.

It's none of our business I know but I'd be surprised if Sammy was on much less than $700,000 a year for the remainder of his deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    The only players we an really put a value are the draftees and rookies as they have fairly standard contracts, can anyone clarify what these are?
    The current agreement was finalised in June but as far as I am aware the full document has not yet been released (which probably means it has not yet been formally ratified). However in the details that are on the AFLPA site it says that the minimum rookie wage will increase to $71,500 in 2017, while the minimum wage for a first round draft pick will rise to $88,193 in 2017. Match payments also apply.

Based on past agreements it is probably the case that draft picks below the first round are paid less than first round. And that second year draftees are paid more than first year.

I recall some years ago I read that the Swans pay draftees above their minimum obligation in recognition of the high cost of living in Sydney (this was in addition to COLA). I have no idea if this is still the case.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Jon Pierik in The Age:

"The speculation surrounding Casboult's contract comes after fellow key forward and Sydney big man Sam Reid recently put pen to paper on a four-year extension worth just over $2.2 million; just under $600,000 a season."

Carlton's Levi Casboult ponders move as rival clubs circle
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Jon Pierik in The Age:

"Sam Reid recently put pen to paper on a four-year extension worth just over $2.2 million; just under $600,000 a season."
    Bit of generous rounding here. That would be just over $550,000 a season.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Which is why you'll never get a media gig Meg

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    ..... Kinda like Tipoff being paid in sausage rolls.
    Isn't that how we lost Mummy or was that not enough sausage sangas?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Jon Pierik in The Age:

"The speculation surrounding Casboult's contract comes after fellow key forward and Sydney big man Sam Reid recently put pen to paper on a four-year extension worth just over $2.2 million; just under $600,000 a season."

Casboult and Tippett look like they're about to reap the rewards of the lack of key forwards in the market. Very good news for us as we might be able to offload him despite the fact that I think he's a ruckman, not a forward.

Senior Player
    Stadium Ambassadorial roles are usually honorary positions though there are some perks. With mine at the SCG I got a voucher (to the value of
    $15) each home game that is redeemable at one of the Brewongle "food" outlets, a 2011 members cap and a signed 10 by 8 photo of Isaac Heeney
    and Callum Sinclair singing along to "Sweet Caroline" during a quarter time break.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    We'd all love to know just how much you used to get paid to be an ANZ Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Stadium Ambassadorial roles are usually honorary positions though there are some perks. With mine at the SCG I got a voucher (to the value of
    $15) each home game that is redeemable at one of the Brewongle "food" outlets, a 2011 members cap and a signed 10 by 8 photo of Isaac Heeney
    and Callum Sinclair singing along to "Sweet Caroline" during a quarter time break.
    If Barry's deal is as ordinary as yours KT at the SCG, then I reckon ANZ were ripping him off for years there clap:

But knowing what bankers are like, I'm sure he got plenty of bonuses along the way!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Casboult and Tippett look like they're about to reap the rewards of the lack of key forwards in the market. Very good news for us as we might be able to offload him despite the fact that I think he's a ruckman, not a forward.
    If someone offered to take his full salary off our salary cap I think we'd find that offer impossible to refuse but I don't think we are under any financial pressure to offload him, means any deal has to be a win for us and that we hold all the cards

Jon Pierik in The Age:

If these numbers are right then Sammy has taken significant unders to stay but you can understand why he would - happy personally having been on a good deal, financially secure already and very happy with his club environment. It's still good money but it's a great reflection on the environment that the club provides for players

Sounds like a fair price.

Veterans List
    Bargain! KPF are the absolute hardest to draft so that price seems very reasonable and puts Sam in a very good light in helping keep the list together as he no doubt could have got much more in Melbourne given far less effective forwards Mayne and Vickery are on well publicised $500k/year.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast