Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 29

Thread: Bye Bye Jesse

  1. #1
    Veterans List aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    4,926

    Bye Bye Jesse

    Talented Magpie to finish up after 11 seasons - AFL.com.au

    A sad loss to the football world. How will Collingwood cope without him?

  2. #2
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    594
    He was OK, and seemed a likeable enough fella. Showed glimpses that he could be very good, just not consistently. I remember one game
    against the Crows after we'd tried to trade him that he won for us. 127 games and 144 goals over eleven years is a pretty decent effort.
    Well done.

  3. #3
    Clubman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sydney's eastside
    Posts
    1,139
    I wouldn't say he made the absolute most of his talent, but over 100 AFL games is a decent effort and far more than most achieve. What a great chapter to have in your life. Go well, Jesse.

    KT, was that game against the Crows at the SCG? I think I remember it. He played some good footy for us in the season before we traded him.

  4. #4
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    13,867
    Will probably be remembered for two things:

    - The 19th man v the Kangaroos
    - Being rejected by the Crows in the original Tippett deal, eventually leading to revelation about salary cap issues around Tippett's contract and the Crows subsequently being charged with draft tampering and penalised being stripped of draft picks.

    Okay well this football highlight wasn't too bad either.

  5. #5
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    1,611
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I wouldn't say he made the absolute most of his talent, but over 100 AFL games is a decent effort and far more than most achieve. What a great chapter to have in your life. Go well, Jesse.

    KT, was that game against the Crows at the SCG? I think I remember it. He played some good footy for us in the season before we traded him.
    Raising his currency before the trade period (and showing us finally that he could actually play).....he knew the writing was on the wall. I liked Jesse but I don't think he was the most dedicated player going around but good luck to him!

  6. #6
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,745
    I always thought Jessie had difficulty reading the game. I recall a game at the MCG. ROK ran through the centre, our forward line was empty but for Jessie and his opponent. Rok motioned him to go right, down the spine, which was to his side and he had his opponent cold, but he went left just as ROK was about to kick so he had to check his kick and go sideways to the flank. Jessie missed it and a turnover occured. All around me let out a collective sigh.

  7. #7
    A half forward flanker in a key positions body. Oh the gods were cruel that day you were born Jesse. They teased us all.

  8. #8
    Clubman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sydney's eastside
    Posts
    1,139
    Nice one, ugg. Great clip.

    Nice one you too, barry.

  9. #9
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,102
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    - Being rejected by the Crows in the original Tippett deal, eventually leading to revelation about salary cap issues around Tippett's contract and the Crows subsequently being charged with draft tampering and penalised being stripped of draft picks.
    I once said Jesse White would be the next Buddy Franklin. One of my more memorable calls.

    There are not many players that can say they played 11 years and had a negative influence on 3 clubs, including one he never played for. Jesse holds the record by causing the most tantrums by a head coach, 87.

  10. #10
    RWOs Black Sheep AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    At Goodesy's Place
    Posts
    10,402
    Who will kick the collywobble's behinds now?

    Glad they threw him on the trash heap.
    Once again, we are the deal winners.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

  11. #11
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,510
    I spoke to Jesse at the B&F when he was leaving. He was genuinely nice and friendly and bore no grudge - "they simply don't have the money for me" is how he put it. I asked where and he said "I think, and hope, it's the Magpies." Farewell to a nice guy who we put too many expectations upon.

  12. #12
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northcote
    Posts
    6,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I spoke to Jesse at the B&F when he was leaving. He was genuinely nice and friendly and bore no grudge - "they simply don't have the money for me" is how he put it. I asked where and he said "I think, and hope, it's the Magpies." Farewell to a nice guy who we put too many expectations upon.
    I second that.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO