Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: Team changes finals 2016 to 2017

  1. #1
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    3,264

    Team changes finals 2016 to 2017

    Boring night on telly so I just made myself feel good watching the 2016 Preliminary final win over Geelong. Surprising that nearly a third of the team has changed since last years Prelim, albeit some injury related.

    Playing that night, Mitchell, Marsh, Laidler, XR, McGlynn, Aliir who are not in our side this year

    Replaced by, Mills, McVeigh, Reid, Melican, Newman, Hayward

    To me that's an improvement on last years Prelim team.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Boring night on telly so I just made myself feel good watching the 2016 Preliminary final win over Geelong. Surprising that nearly a third of the team has changed since last years Prelim, albeit some injury related.

    Playing that night, Mitchell, Marsh, Laidler, XR, McGlynn, Aliir who are not in our side this year

    Replaced by, Mills, McVeigh, Reid, Melican, Newman, Hayward

    To me that's an improvement on last years Prelim team.
    A significant improvement in my book.

    Would XR have gotten a run this year? A few games early on perhaps, maybe he would have been given a crack instead of Melican, of course we'll never know. Still can't believe how pigheaded and stupid he was re knocking back a contract notwithstanding I am sure he was poorly advised. Surely Ted must have tried talking some sense into him.

  3. #3
    Pushing for Selection
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    A significant improvement in my book.

    Would XR have gotten a run this year? A few games early on perhaps, maybe he would have been given a crack instead of Melican, of course we'll never know. Still can't believe how pigheaded and stupid he was re knocking back a contract notwithstanding I am sure he was poorly advised. Surely Ted must have tried talking some sense into him.

    At the time I did not blame him. It seemed like he was leaving for more opportunities like Biggs or Membrey. Sam Reid was returning next season so he was using his half a season of AFL football and 13 goals to attract the interest of a Melbourne club. But I think his quiet finals series worked against him. Also of the Melbourne clubs near the bottom, Carlton were going for GWS reserves and Essendon had all their returning players.

    But in hindsight he should have taken the two year contract, continue to develop under Shaw and taken his opportunities when players got injured. As a senior body I think he would have got a chance in the first few games of this season with all the injuries.

    Though if Richards had resigned, I wonder if that would have affected Towers resigning or instead we would not have upgraded one of the rookies.

    ANALYSIS: Where did it all go wrong for Xavier Richards? - AFL.com.au

  4. #4
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    3,169

    Team changes finals 2016 to 2017

    There is a bit in this interview with Ted Richards about Xavier's departure and what X is now doing.

    Xavier Richards trade 2016 AFL period, Ted Richards, Patrick Stack report podcast | Fox Sports

  5. #5
    Well spotted re team now vs then

    wish we had Mitchell still

  6. #6
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Well spotted re team now vs then

    wish we had Mitchell still
    Yes, but might not have got Jones & Reid over the line if we had to pay Tom his real worth. Although the extra $1mill over and above the $1mill that the AFL told clubs to budget for in 2017 might have kept him here. Sliding door moments I guess :-(

  7. #7
    Goes up to 11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    There is a bit in this interview with Ted Richards about Xavier's departure and what X is now doing.

    Xavier Richards trade 2016 AFL period, Ted Richards, Patrick Stack report podcast | Fox Sports
    Xav is setting himself up quite well without AFL by the looks of things. He'd have plenty on his plate doing a Masters, working and training and playing NEAFL. I'd guess that he may not even want another AFL contract anyway - just a guess though.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Xav is setting himself up quite well without AFL by the looks of things. He'd have plenty on his plate doing a Masters, working and training and playing NEAFL. I'd guess that he may not even want another AFL contract anyway - just a guess though.
    It's quite possible he is better off on the path he is now. I suspect the offer was probably not much over six figures (cue people coming on here how they'd like to be paid that now let alone at his age) with a "decent" AFL salary dependant on appearances which are paid at about $4K per the CBA I believe. Instead he gets a Masters (for free I suspect) and the contacts at Sydney Uni to soon be earning a salary way in excess of what he probably would have at AFL level if he is any good.

    The fact remains if he really did wish to further his AFL career he went about it appallingly. I think he was hoodwinked by his manager that there was interest outside at better money. The Swans enquired and tried to advise Xav that wasn't the case. Xav knew better and we all know what happened next.

    It is, however, entirely possible that Xav didn't think all the sacrifices were worth it for what was on offer and made a call to roll the dice for a better offer elsewhere happy that if he didn't get it that he had a Plan B.

    Still seems bizarre though that he went from an AFL Grand Final straight to NEAFL

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Well spotted re team now vs then

    wish we had Mitchell still
    I know Mitchell is having a good season at the Hawks but I feel we have coped very well without him.

    At the time, without hindsight, it was a risk too big to offer him a similar deal to the Hawks. If the cap had not gone up so much then we may have lost both Zakk and Sammy.

    I think what happened with our cap space and how it affected our trading strategy is that we probably took a worst case view of the new deal and factored in an extra $1m coming online for 2018. Based on our other commitments I think that meant we factored in only being able to keep one of Sammy, Zak and Tom without putting Isaac and Mills at risk.

    When the $2m was announced that allowed us to keep both Sammy and Zak. Whether we have enough in reserve to have kept Tom only the club will know.

    If we do have a bit of spare change still it would be interesting to see if we dip into the player market. I'd say not as it is all a bit hot at the moment and I think in demand players are getting overs. I'd prefer us to use any change in cap space in 2018 to help re-sign Papley, Lloyd, Hewett and Newman to new longer term deals because they'll all be due a payrise

  10. #10
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    394
    Mitchell looks much better in a side without so many quality mids

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Mitchell looks much better in a side without so many quality mids
    I have no doubt he'd still be one of the first on our teamsheet but I feel we have shared the work around to cover his departure very well.

  12. #12
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I have no doubt he'd still be one of the first on our teamsheet but I feel we have shared the work around to cover his departure very well.
    Losing Mitchell opened a development spot for Hewett in the midfield and got us Florent in the draft. Despite Mitchell being a high quality player, I think we are well ahead on that deal. We simply had too many inside mids with Tom and he's just an average midfielder if forced to play on the outside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO