Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round 20: Sydney Swans Reserves v Redland Bombers @ SCG

Veterans List
    I notice with Alex's stats that he didn't lay a tackle. While I can understand his reluctance to do the real vigorous stuff, has he tackled at all since his return? He will have to one day......

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Is not that easy to keep improving your percentage when it's already 250 but great to see we're finding a way.

Good stats for Robbo, Fisher, Aliir. Leonardis seems to have checked out already. Even if he is facing delisting, wouldn't it be better to go out with a NEAFL premiership to your name? Is he in danger of missing the cut for finals? I know we can only play so many listed players.

I look forward to hearing more reports and/or watching the stream.

Yep I thought Sexy Tyrone had already left for the airport too. At one stage he had several players loose but instead of hitting up a lead he just went for goal and missed. He didn't even look. At another stage he could have provided support in the form of a shepherd but chose not to. He made a lot of half efforts.

Everybody else is trying hard to stay on the list but I don't think Tyrone is. I think he knows he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I coached primary school footy and noticed that the kids that could really play tended to share it amongst themselves because they had confidence that the player they were passing to would mark it or retain possession whilst ignoring lesser talented kids in who they had less faith. Sounds like the same thing is happening in the twos except it just a handful of toppies who are being shut out.

Ugg, Barra or other ressie watchers, I notice Fisher is often in the bests, what type of player is he, position and style. A likely keeper? It seems most of this crop of rookies is showing a bit.

Why not go to NEAFL TV and have a look at the streams. Fish played in nearly every one if not all. But to answer you he is a good, hard, inside mid who can spread. Not slow by any stretch but not super quick. He would be more like Luke Parker, abate a little quicker, than Harry. He can also kick a very good goal and is pretty good at crumbing the pack. He tackles, tackles, tackles, so many second efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think Fisher is the best of the rookie crop this year and has a very good chance to make it. I like what Ronke's done as well. They both show AFL level qualities. In fact, all the rookies are in with a chance.

I've been disappointed with all the academy kids. I had high hopes for Jake Brown, but he hasn't shown the same form since coming back from injury. We might not want to be delisting too many players this year as the pickings after round 2 of this year's draft don't look that great. I'd rather go with the group we currently have, with just a few exceptions.
    I think Bell & Wicks are pretty good. Gowers has shown something. Hardiman I don't know too much about but presume he is an underager who will be available in next year's draft. I see he scored 4 goals in the Swans Academy match v Tassie. But the main draft is going to a slug for the recruiters I think. Best to just upgrade Rookies and Rookie draft heaps.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 14th August 2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    It is no secret that my main area of interest is in the toppies. For the second week none of the toppies did much. It intrigues me why that is when this time last year guys like jake brown had plenty of involvement.

I got to see the game and it dawned on me that whilst the listed neafl players are a very tight group, as a consequence of lack of injuries, they are basically playing as a team of 17 listed players. They are so strong that they have no need for the toppies. In fact for a large part of the game the toppies were off. When they were on the listed players simply played around them, and used them as an absolute last resort.

Whilst the 17 or so listed players are basically the same every week, I think they have given up on the new toppy faces that rotate through every week.

The poor toppies worked their butts off but were ignored 9 times out of 10. I'd love to see the gps. I reckon wicks probably topped the distance travelled.

I heard a comment that Brisbane won last week because their toppies were better. I wonder if it was simply because Brisbane plays as a complete team.

If I was shaw I would see this situation as a real weakness that could see Brisbane take the flag. You are usually only as strong as your bottom six, and they will be toppies. If Brandon jack had a brain, and I don't think he does, he would address this issue pronto.

I can't say I noticed Toppies being ignored. I know it didn't happen in the GWS game as Bell was one of the main avenues out of defence. He played a pretty good game too. Wicks (1 goal) is certainly not ignored when he plays as the boys know how dangerous he can be and underage first gamer Jack Hardman certainly got a few opportunities and kicked 2. Osborne and Brown both tend to be played back so I am not sure if they were ignored or not. there were only 5 toppies last week so you could be right I haven't thought of it that way. Harrison Carr did kick 2.3 from 13 (which is about average for a forward) though so I presume he wasn't ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think Bell & Wicks are pretty good. Gowers has shown something. Hardiman I don't know too much about but presume he is an underager who will be available in next year's draft. I see he scored 4 goals in the Swans Academy match v Tassie. But the main draft is going to a slug for the recruiters I think. Best to just upgrade Rookies and Rookie draft heaps.
    There have been a lot of academy players who have been given some time in the NEAFL, but when I ask which current rookie listed player would I replace to have any of them on our list, I come up empty. I don't think any of them have shown more than Jack Hiscox did when he got drafted and feel the end result would be the same.

Abe Davis kicked 5 goals for South Australia. I'd draft him before any of our current academy players. I wonder if he still would qualify as a Category B rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I notice with Alex's stats that he didn't lay a tackle. While I can understand his reluctance to do the real vigorous stuff, has he tackled at all since his return? He will have to one day......
    He laid a very good tackle in his first game back down here in Canberra. I expect the one way traffic of the match on Saturday didn't provide much of a need for significant tackling in our defensive 50.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123