Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toby Green - kung fu fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Luke must have been genuinely upset about the implicit suggestion of poor sportsmanship to have contested the charge in his case, as he was only facing a fine.
    Maybe. Or the Swans' lawyers just wanted some practice against the grading system of the AFL at the tribunal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not aware of any media comparison with Parker.

Luke must have been genuinely upset about the implicit suggestion of poor sportsmanship to have contested the charge in his case, as he was only facing a fine.
    Green may well be as well.
    I mean has anyone here met him. Might be a great bloke who plays hard, tough and mean.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I mean has anyone here met him. Might be a great bloke who plays hard, tough and mean.
    Does that actually make a difference though? It is on-field behaviour that is being judged. If his actions don't meet the standards of the sport he will get suspended - surely that is fair enough. I don't think it would matter who the offender was in this instance.

Not it doesn't matter to me at all.
    But I feel that many are judging him on his perceived demeanor rather than his actions on the ground.
    At the very least they are drawing conclusions as to the intent of his actions based on their perceptions of him.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    But the record of his actions on the ground simply makes it worse.
    And the perception this time, at the very least, is that he raised his foot to keep the other player at a distance and made contact with his face. That is a high grade no-no.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    You can't fend high with a forearm, this is so much worse.
    I reckon it could be let go if it was just a high knee put out for protection but kicking out is dangerous and needs to be discouraged with a suspension.
    BTW I was impressed that Greene was able to keep a cool head and played out the game really well.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

He's a dirty little flog.
    There was another incident in the same game where he did a jumper punch.
    Wipe him out for six weeks.
    Maybe that'll teach him to keep his hands (and feet) to himself.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Toby Green - kung fu fighting?

"GREATER Western Sydney star Toby Greene has escaped suspension for planting his boot into Luke Dahlhaus's face, with the Match Review Panel fining him for misconduct.

Greene, who was reported for rough conduct in Friday night's clash against the Western Bulldogs, was handed a fixed financial sanction of $2500, which can be reduced to $1500 with an early guilty plea.

By categorising the incident as misconduct, the MRP did not have to put the charge through the table of offences and could fine Greene at its own discretion up to $5000."

Star Giant and Power mid free to play, Dog cops two matches
    MRP: Greene and Wines fined, Dog cops two - M.afl.com.au

Hmmm, Luke Parker has cause to be aggrieved by this as Luke was penalised (fined) for rough conduct for a similar but much less serious offence back in 2015. Had Greene been charged with rough conduct the penalty would certainly have been a suspension.

Was it Wayne Carey who said that star players get treated lightly by the Tribunal and MRP in the lead up to the finals?

I am not sure if Greene qualifies as a star, but he is certainly an important player for GWS.

It seems like a soft outcome (and inconsistent when the Parker penalty is examined). I suppose the lack of consistency is what makes the MRP so consistent.

Parker's was 2 years ago with a different composition panel so I suppose I shouldn't necessarily expect the same judgements to be made. But with Parker the AFL (successfully) defended the rough conduct charge at the Tribunal. Wonder if the AFL has a view on Greene?

Wonder if the AFL has a view on Greene?
    I doubt they will publicly involve themselves this time.

Probably practised that move in his backyard. What a disgusting example to young players. Recruitment poster: School yard bullies wanted to play AFL. Isn't this what the AFL wants? To muscle in on NRL territory? And the AFL's pet team needs him for the finals, after all this is the year the Greatest Waste of Space is supposed to win (despite not being a Victorian team). A fine? What a joke. I saw the Green Turd's kick to the face as deliberate and cruel and brings the game into disrepute. He is such a good player that he doesn't need to stoop to this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast