Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 21 Sydney V Fremantle. SCG. 13.45 pm.

Well, that was very exciting.
    No passengers AND four quarters of ruthless.
    Loved the Sydney chant once we topped triple figures. Very appropriate.

See what happens when you don't kick so many behinds?
    I'm lamenting all behinds kicked this season... our percentage "should" be much higher.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Perhaps they thought Sinclair would be more mobile around the ground. He topped our inside 50s against Geelong. Also, makes sense to ease Kurt back in.
    Sinclair's rise in form and versatility is a bonus for us. Couple this with the young kids coming along faster than we expected makes me think we are in a better position than last year.

Sinclair and Tippett works for me. They both ruck nearly as well as Naismith but offer far more around the ground. Apologies to Ludwig but I reckon our structure works better with the 2 Ruckmen in.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Sinclair and Tippett works for me. They both ruck nearly as well as Naismith but offer far more around the ground. Apologies to Ludwig but I reckon our structure works better with the 2 Ruckmen in.
    We refer to them as the two ruckmen, and they obviously are, but each of them, especially Sinkers, has been working on their forward 50 play. Tippett's work there has always been decent, often good, but Sinkers has stepped up big time in that role. To watch him rise and seize the ball against good opposition is thrilling stuff, and he is often close enough to make goal kicking easier. Considerable improvement there.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Yes, they did alright against Baby Huey, but let's see how they go against a real ruckman on Friday.

Regular in the Side
    What a cracking day! We got to the ground even earlier than usual due to the members' recognition event, got the VW free parking and then ran into Buddy on his way to the ground. I thought I was past my whole Swans fangirl thing now that some of the players are old enough to be my kids, but no. I was totally star struck and could barely squeak out "Good luck!". The kids refused to come with me to ask for a photo and I felt a bit awkard asking myself so I missed out Quite surprised by how svelte Lance is up close. He looks a lot burlier in his guernsey and on tele.

The Member's event was quite good. Teddy and Mike Pyke were interviewed (LRT was supposed to be there but was running late) and Teddy was good value as always. Unfortunately they weren't there for long as they had to get ready for the legends match. A couple of the younger lads were interviewed too; Darcy Cameron and I didn't catch the other player's name as I was on my way to the ladies. After the event we headed down past the cricket nets and noticed all the players for the legends match warming up. We hung about to hear the pep talk given by Roosy (made some quip about having Heath James on his list for 18 years and only playing two games in that time ) and by Micky O and Teddy warning everybody to beware of Bazza's elbows, even if he was actually on their team.

Headed up to our seats and enjoyed a lovely, stress free game. We braved the field after the match for kick to kick. The kids managed a few goals and amazingly managed to keep their footballs. We all got away without copping a footy to the back of the head and managed not to lose the kids (it's happened before). We were a cheery little group on the drive home. One of the most enjoyable days of football I've had in a long while
    Life's not a spectator sport

Veterans List
    It was a very relaxed day in the sunshine on Saturday.

Two things I took from the game: the team are playing with a confident fluidity that I haven't seen for a few years. I remember thinking the same in 2005 and later hearing Roos say that there was a practice session when they lifted to another level and knew they could go the whole way.

The other thought was just how well Towers and Sinclair are playing. Sure they make mistakes but they do a lot right, too. Towers took a couple of great grabs on Saturday and Sinclair's second efforts were great. There was one point down the Ranwick end when the ball was in dispute and Sinclair got the ball out of the ground and along the ground to a Swans payer in the clear.

I think the team are really coming to believe in each other and that's why Joey wasn't as missed as I thought he'd be. If you told me a month ago that we'd go to Geelong with Joey out and Towers in and come away with a convincing win I'd not believe you.

Roll on Friday.

Of course, for the media the Crows beat the Dons and it shows their superiority but we thrash Freo and it shows how woeful Freo is. I wonder how it'll be reported if we manage to win in Adelaide: "Crows night off?"

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    We refer to them as the two ruckmen, and they obviously are, but each of them, especially Sinkers, has been working on their forward 50 play. Tippett's work there has always been decent, often good, but Sinkers has stepped up big time in that role. To watch him rise and seize the ball against good opposition is thrilling stuff, and he is often close enough to make goal kicking easier. Considerable improvement there.
    Sinkers last 2-3 months have been good. His effort levels, attitude and skills improvement have been significant. Although there are probably others more skillful he deserves to be rewarded for his efforts in my opinion. I had no time for him early in the season but he is fast becoming one of my faves.

Sinkers last 2-3 months have been good. His effort levels, attitude and skills improvement have been significant. Although there are probably others more skillful he deserves to be rewarded for his efforts in my opinion. I had no time for him early in the season but he is fast becoming one of my faves.
    I agree on all but one point aardvark - which is attitude/efforts His effort and attitude have always been very good - irrespective of his broader form or where he might be in the pecking order, he always has a real dig and gives 110%.

He is a really good clubman, and he always busts a gut, no matter where he may be at - great to see him have a sustained period of good form to go with it. The ruck question is going to be a tough one heading into finals if Naismith is fit again soon.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post

Roll on Friday.

Of course, for the media the Crows beat the Dons and it shows their superiority but we thrash Freo and it shows how woeful Freo is. I wonder how it'll be reported if we manage to win in Adelaide: "Crows night off?"
    I'm sure they will say that Sloane and Walker weren't fit.

I know we like to stay under the radar but it would be nice if we were spoken about and not just the whole 0-6 narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I'm sure they will say that Sloane and Walker weren't fit.

I know we like to stay under the radar but it would be nice if we were spoken about and not just the whole 0-6 narrative.
    Happy to be ignored until we win the Premiership

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Happy to be ignored until we win the Premiership
    Except pretty much every finals analysis of the last month or two has included a 'the Swans are coming - be very afraid' type narrative.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast