Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 22 V Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Any news about Newman? Haven't seen anything on the swans site. I'm hoping it's not too serious.

After watching the crows on Sat night I'm worried about their forwards. Our backline has to be switched on and be careful about mismatches. We were caught out against the Hawks as well as against Freo.
    Newman's injury is not too serious and is a chance to play Friday. If he's okay to go, then Towers looks to be in line for omission.

I would be worried about the continual mismatches that find players like Lloyd, Smith and Jones on much taller opponents, but Longmire doesn't seem concerned and must feel that the overall results have been very good and is willing to accept those mismatches for the sake of continuity.

If we keep both Sinkers and Tippett in the side, which seems nearly certain, then we always have the option of dropping Reid in to defence if things get out of control. We can also start Reid on the wing matched up with Lynch and see how that goes. They each tend to move along with ball. That would leave the defensive matchups fairly even.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 14th August 2017 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would be worried about the continual mismatches that find players like Lloyd, Smith and Jones on much taller opponents, but Longmire doesn't seem concerned and must feel that the overall results have been very good and is willing to accept those mismatches for the sake of continuity.

If we keep both Sinkers and Tippett in the side, then we always have the option of dropping Reid in to defence if things get out of control.
    There will definitely be a mismatch between either McGovern or Lynch if we don't bring in Aliir.
    McGovern plays i50 mostly, while Lynch floats up the ground more, so depends where Longmire would prefer that mismatch to occur. I'm 95% certain we'll just use Reid as a backup defender like you said.

Selection is tough every week at the moment.

Obviously Joey comes back in. Probably Newman is out (I haven't heard anything definitive about the injury - is it season ending? 2 weeks? no big deal?).

I find deciding what to do about the rucks is tough - play 1? play 2? which ones? they all have a case to make. I would like to see Tippett given a chance to play himself into top form because I think his best form is good enough to demand selection.

Given that Adelaide have 4 good talls (Walker, Lynch, Jenkins, McGovern) I can definitely see the appeal of having a taller defence (even though our defenders often have to 'play tall' against taller opposition and have done so with success). At the same time, Aliir has been in good form for a while now, and it may be that we are losing a defender in Newman. So I am sympathetic to playing Aliir. It would also be good to see how he'll go. Is the high stakes Crows match the time to do it? Another solution to this conundrum is to stick with the resting ruck forward and shift Reid back to defence to cover one of their tall forwards.

I'm surprised there are calls to drop Hayward. He's been brilliant. I think he's played well defensively as well as offensively, even if there is room for improvement. He uses his pace to corral and place a lot of pressure on the ball carrier and he is good at challenging for balls in the air even when he can't mark them. He has also shown good stamina making 2nd and 3rd efforts and putting in sprints late in games. That said, if we were to drop someone to make room for, say, an extra, tall defender like Aliir, it's hard to see who to drop. Towers? Hayward?

So.... my vote:

Out: Sinclair, Newman
    In: JPK, Aliir

but I'm really not sure. I keep changing my mind. Will be interesting to see what the match committee does.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Selection is tough every week at the moment.

Obviously Joey comes back in. Probably Newman is out (I haven't heard anything definitive about the injury - is it season ending? 2 weeks? no big deal?).

I find deciding what to do about the rucks is tough - play 1? play 2? which ones? they all have a case to make. I would like to see Tippett given a chance to play himself into top form because I think his best form is good enough to demand selection.

Given that Adelaide have 4 good talls (Walker, Lynch, Jenkins, McGovern) I can definitely see the appeal of having a taller defence (even though our defenders often have to 'play tall' against taller opposition and have done so with success). At the same time, Aliir has been in good form for a while now, and it may be that we are losing a defender in Newman. So I am sympathetic to playing Aliir. It would also be good to see how he'll go. Is the high stakes Crows match the time to do it? Another solution to this conundrum is to stick with the resting ruck forward and shift Reid back to defence to cover one of their tall forwards.

I'm surprised there are calls to drop Hayward. He's been brilliant. I think he's played well defensively as well as offensively, even if there is room for improvement. He uses his pace to corral and place a lot of pressure on the ball carrier and he is good at challenging for balls in the air even when he can't mark them. He has also shown good stamina making 2nd and 3rd efforts and putting in sprints late in games. That said, if we were to drop someone to make room for, say, an extra, tall defender like Aliir, it's hard to see who to drop. Towers? Hayward?

So.... my vote:

Out: Sinclair, Newman
    In: JPK, Aliir

but I'm really not sure. I keep changing my mind. Will be interesting to see what the match committee does.
    Doc Larkins says Newman's injury is serious and he will be out for 3 to 4 weeks. Just because he has a Doctor of Divinity from Oral Roberts University shouldn't make him qualified to assess football injuries from afar. In any case, Horse says the injury is not serious and Newman is a chance to play this Friday.

I agree that Hayward has been brilliant, but those who have commented that he still lacks the physical strength to complete tackles are also right. I would find it a close call if we had to decide between a healthy and fit Harry Cunningham and Will Hayward if we had to choose just one for a final.

I could have written those changes for the week, but I can't see Aliir coming in for Sinclair, even though Aliir had a great game in the ressies playing most in the ruck. Sinclair's ruck work has improved significantly during the year and I think Longmire likes what he saw with Tippett playing mostly up forward. Naismith doesn't look to be in the selection frame, not doing the full training session today.

Senior Player
    Tippett won't be lacking any motivation this week!!
    C'mon Chels!

As long as he plays the ball, Buddy played the man way too much against his old club. Just a waste of energy, fines and potential sanction.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Tippett won't be lacking any motivation this week!!
    Nor will the Adelaide crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Doc Larkins says Newman's injury is serious and he will be out for 3 to 4 weeks. Just because he has a Doctor of Divinity from Oral Roberts University shouldn't make him qualified to assess football injuries from afar. In any case, Horse says the injury is not serious and Newman is a chance to play this Friday.

I agree that Hayward has been brilliant, but those who have commented that he still lacks the physical strength to complete tackles are also right. I would find it a close call if we had to decide between a healthy and fit Harry Cunningham and Will Hayward if we had to choose just one for a final.

I could have written those changes for the week, but I can't see Aliir coming in for Sinclair, even though Aliir had a great game in the ressies playing most in the ruck. Sinclair's ruck work has improved significantly during the year and I think Longmire likes what he saw with Tippett playing mostly up forward. Naismith doesn't look to be in the selection frame, not doing the full training session today.
    I suspect you're right the match committee will prefer to stick with Sinclair and not Aliir.

As for Harry v Will. I might agree with you if Harry was at peak form but when was his last AFL game? He's had 2 passable games back in the NEAFL since returning from a long injury absence. He's not screaming for a recall and it's doubtful if he's best 22 even at his best. I think he could be good injury cover but that's all for 2017. When he's in form he's about as good as Robbo and slightly ahead of Foote (in my book). That's Harry v Will right now. Longer term, Will has much more upside. I do agree Harry's got a stronger, harder body than Will and probably offers a tad more defensively but I'm sticking with Will even so.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I suspect you're right the match committee will prefer to stick with Sinclair and not Aliir.

As for Harry v Will. I might agree with you if Harry was at peak form but when was his last AFL game? He's had 2 passable games back in the NEAFL since returning from a long injury absence. He's not screaming for a recall and it's doubtful if he's best 22 even at his best. I think he could be good injury cover but that's all for 2017. When he's in form he's about as good as Robbo and slightly ahead of Foote (in my book). That's Harry v Will right now. Longer term, Will has much more upside. I do agree Harry's got a stronger, harder body than Will and probably offers a tad more defensively but I'm sticking with Will even so.
    H has kicked a few goals at Adelaide oval - the space seems to suit him

No way in god's green earth will towers be dropped this week. Even if sweat baby Jesus was available.

Pushing for Selection
    I can't wait for the smith v betts battle... earlier this year I thought nick smith was starting to struggle but lately, the player that he has been on hasn't been doing too much. When we are not hearing nick smiths name during a game it usually means he is doing an awesome shut down job on his player.
    As for not having the talls in defence to handle Adelaide, it's all in the midfield. Stop good supply. Rampe (our general) is usually able to get our back 6 in the right spots as long as the ball doesn't come in too quickly. Looking forward to playing a team with a great attack - offence steals the glory but defence wins the game!

JPK in for Newman my prediction

Reckon Naismith will come back for the Carlton match so this really is a shootout between Sinclair and Tippett for a spot.

Can't see us picking Aliir, if we struggle with their talls Horse will simply switch Reid back and play Sinclair or Tippett as a KPF. We've got some good flexibility there.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast