Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toby Green - kung fu fighting?

Toby Green - kung fu fighting?

So, what do you think about last night's effort by Toby Green's boot to the face last night - all's fair in love and war, or another low down dirty act?

Toby Greene kick, suspension, Luke Dahlhaus incident, GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs, Leon Cameron | Fox Sports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Cannot possibly let that go unpunished. Letting it go means any player can fend off a tackler by sticking a boot in his face.

Agreed. Although there doesn't seem to be any consensus amongst the ex-player (or current) playing group. Carey's comment that it wasn't against any of the rules was an interesting one.

Veterans List
    When I first saw the incident
    I thought it was a marking contest so didn't think anything wrong with it. But then realised it was from a handball so now not so sure. Not a fan of his but he did have his eyes on the ball. Who knows how the MRP are going to see it.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Nothing in it for me.
    People are biased in their existing opinions of Green.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    This may well be true - but there aren't many instances of people randomly putting a foot out in the air upon receiving a handball. It is dangerous play - you can't fend off someone with your foot (in their face) so they don't tackle you.

Senior Player

I think everyone saw the same thing but will interpret it their own way, particularly depending on their existing opinion of Greene. I thought it was careless rather than intentional. Not sure how they'll grade the impact, given Dahlhaus came back and didn't seem too affected, but was bleeding.
    I don't have strong feelings about Greene either way, but thought he and his teammates handled the aftermath pretty well.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Nothing in it for me.
    Applying boot to face, however gently, can never be nothing. AFL has to take it up imo.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Nobody seems to be talking about the great spring he has in his step
    Should have been a high jumper...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Luke Parker was fined for a similar incident in 2015 after making contact to Grant Birchall's abdomen with his left foot in a match against Hawthorn. It was classified as careless conduct with low impact to the body.

Luke took it to the Tribunal and pleaded not guilty, saying he was attempting to spin in the air after he took possession of the ball so he could feed a quick handball. However he was found to have breached his duty of care and his appeal was dismissed.

Greene is likely to be in more trouble because his foot hit the face and the injury outcome was more severe. If it is classified as careless, with medium impact to the head it would be a two match base penalty plus one match for a bad record. I'm not sure if the one match reduction for early guilty plea would apply (given the bad record addition). So I suspect Greene will be out for at least the last two H&A matches + possibly the first finals match.

Thanks Meg, I just looked it up (very interesting): Luke Parker's challenge to rough conduct charge fails - M.afl.com.au

Has anyone else mentioned it in the media since the Greene incident? There are many parallels that can be drawn.

If the AFL follows precedent, it is certain to result in a suspension.

I'm not aware of any media comparison with Parker.

Luke must have been genuinely upset about the implicit suggestion of poor sportsmanship to have contested the charge in his case, as he was only facing a fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast