Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New Competition Structure for 2018

I think promoting Camden is driven by a head office dude ticking this KPI box - "develop AFL in the Sth West, West of Sydney" rather than Camden being ready. When you look at the history of Manly and UTS before they were promoted it was a different story.

Camden's Div 5 side is alright at that level but they lost to us earlier in the year and that's our 6th grade team, so I'm not sure they would beat anyone in Div 4 or above without a significant injection of talent. North Shore and Wests are the standouts at Div 5 level.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants View Post
    I am pretty sure JL realises that at the top end and was referring to depth meaning their third grade side would compete against the lower end third grade sides from those Prems Clubs.

(E.g. Would Camdens Div5 beat ECE Div4, Wests Div5, Manly Div4 etc....?)

I think you have to start somewhere and JL knows this and has a good committee ready to go and i know the bloke would work his arse off for years to come to make it successfull. You only have to look at the last few years.

I watched Div1 last weekend at Olds and Camdens 3rd quarter was impressive and they had plenty of chances to beat St George. Consistency for all four quarters cost them.

Nothing we can all do anyway we are in the hands of the administrators and will wait for them to tell us whats happening again i guess just like when the Divisions were brought in.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Or do what Camden are doing - promote and attract them.
    Saviour - this is really my key point. Camden will absolutely struggle to compete in the recruitment market. If I was a talented player and had just moved to Sydney, would I choose to play at St George (an established PD club) or would I drive all the way out to Camden to play for them? If I lived in the City would I choose to play for UNSWES, UTS, Syd Uni or would I drive all the way out to play at Camden? Everyone underestimates how hard it is to recruit normally let alone recruit players by convincing them to take out a second mortgage to pay for fuel and tolls and drive 65kms to get to training and 65kms to get home. And there are very few players moving to Sydney who base themselves out at Camden! I'm sure there are a few but definitely not the majority. I know that Camden & C'Town don't really get along but they should really talk to people involved over there about how hard it is to recruit talent that far out of the city. They had the money to do it but were too far out and their results didn't make them a destination club.

To be successful at PD level you have to recruit. St.G grand final team last year had 8 players of their 22 who were not local juniors and they probably recruit the best in the business. (yes yes i know you don't pay them). And I know someone will try and come on here and argue that they were all local juniors...... Just to be clear, I am not knocking St.G and instead making an example of what you need to do to be a great PD team. Recruit to top up your local talent.

The only exception to the rule IMO to the above would be Pennant Hills who are the best breeder of local talent in all of Sydney. I don't know what they put in the water but it definitely works.

The fact is that Camden would get flogged on a regular basis over the first 2-3 years in PD and then it makes it harder and harder to recruit. AND some of their local players would move onto lower divisions. One of their key players has told me this personally. If they AND AFL Sydney want to bury their heads in the sand and think it is their "field of dreams" moment then good luck to them. I know JL reasonably well and I have no doubt he will put everything into it. He has done and is doing a fantastic job, but not even he is Kevin Costner....

My suggestion to them is not to rush. Build success first like UTS & Manly, focus on recruiting and wait until you are actually ready.

I agree with a lot of the above. But it's a risk either way. Hard to recruit to div 1, do the sponsors, the committee, depth etc hang around for the next 4 or 5 years if they aren't in prems?

Also agree with Pmcc's "AFL KPI" comment, but would understand if they decide to back themselves and have a go at it.

On the Rookie List
    Lol the depth at Camden must be spectacular if the pres is still jogging around in div 1 in his 2XL jumper.

Would anyone like to guess how many local camden area junior's now play premier league for other clubs
    Quite a few
    Be interesting if they all decided to return

- - - Updated - - -

What happend in the 2nd round Student

[QUOTE=Ducboy;736256]Would anyone like to guess how many local camden area junior's now play premier league for other clubs
    Quite a few

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Ducboy;736256]Would anyone like to guess how many local camden area junior's now play premier league for other clubs
    Quite a few

- - - Updated - - -

I can only think of 4 but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on 4 if that was the case, especially considering 2 are playing where they study and im guessing are on some sort of scholarship

Warming the Bench
    [QUOTE=Nuttsy;736260]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducboy View Post
    Would anyone like to guess how many local camden area junior's now play premier league for other clubs
    Quite a few

- - - Updated - - -

I can only think of 4 but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on 4 if that was the case, especially considering 2 are playing where they study and im guessing are on some sort of scholarship
    Ben Bourke, Ryan Bottin-Noonan?? Coupla St George players?

Cant see Ben Bourke leaving East Coast

[QUOTE=Footy Barista;736269]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttsy View Post

Ben Bourke, Ryan Bottin-Noonan?? Coupla St George players?

Cant see Ben Bourke leaving East Coast
    Bourkey(As above), Ryan B-N(Who's brothers are playing with Camden so would be a chance if he finishes studying this year), Luke Vella(Will still be studying), Nathan Kenny(who I doubt would leave Saints) and Baily Mcparland who has played a handful of prems games this year for saints also.

Warming the Bench
    [QUOTE=Nuttsy;736270]
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy Barista View Post

Bourkey(As above), Ryan B-N(Who's brothers are playing with Camden so would be a chance if he finishes studying this year), Luke Vella(Will still be studying), Nathan Kenny(who I doubt would leave Saints) and Baily Mcparland who has played a handful of prems games this year for saints also.

Ah yeah, if they could grab them that would be handy.....I doubt Mudgee would let Kenny go anywhere, hes from Wollongong isn't he not Camden?

Thats not alot of numbers there

[QUOTE=Footy Barista;736281]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttsy View Post

Ah yeah, if they could grab them that would be handy.....I doubt Mudgee would let Kenny go anywhere, hes from Wollongong isn't he not Camden?

Thats not alot of numbers there
    He was living at Mount Annan im guessing he still is. Anyway I doubt he would leave Saints

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast