Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Results 145 to 156 of 163

Thread: New Competition Structure for 2018

  1. #145
    Well retired, still sore Pekay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In The Goalsquare
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    Think that might have been Wests 2nds, so they'd be in the new Prem reserves comp. Take your point though, the new div 1 comp will be a solid competition.
    I stand corrected good sir.

  2. #146
    Pushing for Selection
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    I get the comparison, but I think this case is a bit different. I'm hearing they've got a fair bit of cash to fast track things with recruitment and you'd reckon GWS might send some good kids their way.
    They seem like a pretty well organised club too.
    Strategically we need a club there, so hope they make it.
    Also hope they stop offering kids (ie 19 year olds) from our club $600 a game. That kind of stuff will end up with other clubs returning serve.
    There's plenty to work on out there so they should be a long term success.
    Spoke with JL this morning and he laughed his head off at this. He said they are deffinitely not poor but have grown a club from 2 to 6 teams next year in a short space of time so there is no $600/game for anyone unless you are Buddy Franklin...

  3. #147
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Turramurra, NSW
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    Why?

    The new div 1 won't be a kick and giggle comp. There will be some decent teams in it with Penno 3's, Sydney Uni 3's, NS 3's etc that would be competitive against a number of the sides in the new Platinum 1's comp.

    It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds over the next couple of years. Won't be surprised if the new div 1 ends up being the 3rd best senior men's standard behind the 2 prem grades.
    Yep

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    I get the comparison, but I think this case is a bit different. I'm hearing they've got a fair bit of cash to fast track things with recruitment and you'd reckon GWS might send some good kids their way.
    They seem like a pretty well organised club too.
    Strategically we need a club there, so hope they make it.
    Also hope they stop offering kids (ie 19 year olds) from our club $600 a game. That kind of stuff will end up with other clubs returning serve.
    There's plenty to work on out there so they should be a long term success.
    Coming from the club that poaching Kids from Nsw wide haha

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    I get the comparison, but I think this case is a bit different. I'm hearing they've got a fair bit of cash to fast track things with recruitment and you'd reckon GWS might send some good kids their way.
    They seem like a pretty well organised club too.
    Strategically we need a club there, so hope they make it.
    Also hope they stop offering kids (ie 19 year olds) from our club $600 a game. That kind of stuff will end up with other clubs returning serve.
    There's plenty to work on out there so they should be a long term success.
    Coming from the club that poaching Kids from Nsw wide haha

  4. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants View Post
    Spoke with JL this morning and he laughed his head off at this. He said they are deffinitely not poor but have grown a club from 2 to 6 teams next year in a short space of time so there is no $600/game for anyone unless you are Buddy Franklin...
    Which team is the 6th for the Cats JL?

    Pekay got excited about the $600 a game and has been spotted running up and down Bowen Mountain every morning with a 30kg backpack on.

  5. #149
    Well retired, still sore Pekay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In The Goalsquare
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    Which team is the 6th for the Cats JL?

    Pekay got excited about the $600 a game and has been spotted running up and down Bowen Mountain every morning with a 30kg backpack on.
    Mate, I couldn't run to the top of my street when I was playing! And that's at the foot of Bowen Mountain!

  6. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    I get the comparison, but I think this case is a bit different. I'm hearing they've got a fair bit of cash to fast track things with recruitment and you'd reckon GWS might send some good kids their way.
    They seem like a pretty well organised club too.
    Strategically we need a club there, so hope they make it.
    Also hope they stop offering kids (ie 19 year olds) from our club $600 a game. That kind of stuff will end up with other clubs returning serve.
    There's plenty to work on out there so they should be a long term success.
    Yes any cash splash would be a very bad start if true - probably they are just trying to get a few guns in I imagine otherwise that will be a short route to disaster. With their model they should be looking to be competitive in say 3 years at best, step by step, local players, few gun ins each year. I think they have a better chance than the Gong as too many people leave the Gong for Sydney for work, and they will bring people in from closer to Sydney than the Gong could. Also they are essentially not building from scratch totally in terms of Prems footprint as much as supplanting Campbelltown which was at the level for years, albeit with a flawed model most of that time. So they get a clean slate Club model and culture wise which they seem to have been doing really well at and they become numero uno in their region. Fair chance if the leadership stay together for 5years.

  7. #151
    [QUOTE=Footy Barista;743355]Yep

    - - - Updated - - -



    Coming from the club that poaching Kids from Nsw wide haha

    - - - Updated - - -

    Missed the point FB.

    The comment was made in the context of the sustainability of Camden vs Wollongong. Camden seem to be pretty well run, they have some cash and they're likely to get some help - so should make it and we need them to.

    The info about the offer is pretty reliable, but not complaining about it. If we had that kind of cash we'd probably do it too

  8. #152
    What about some updates from those close to their clubs. Are there any new recruits? Who will be the big improvers?
    Any updates re: Prems, Prems ressies, the Divisions and the new Plutonium league?

  9. #153
    Well retired, still sore Pekay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In The Goalsquare
    Posts
    1,997
    Plutonium league. Perfect name. No Sunday games to accommodate Hillsong FC.

  10. #154
    I hear there was a Presidents meeting last night to discuss the comp changes, any word on the outcomes?

  11. #155
    A lot of talk was had with a few decisions to still come out of it. New season is looking interesting, Camden some good recruits , Penno a few Key ins, Easts breaking cheque book some ex afl players coming, North shore will be the same strong list, East Coast new coach some good ins, St George is the one... heard a few leaving and a few not happy. Syd Uni hear they have own issues at present but will be strong no doubt with the extended list again

  12. #156
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Turramurra, NSW
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by 5yearplan View Post
    A lot of talk was had with a few decisions to still come out of it. New season is looking interesting, Camden some good recruits , Penno a few Key ins, Easts breaking cheque book some ex afl players coming, North shore will be the same strong list, East Coast new coach some good ins, St George is the one... heard a few leaving and a few not happy. Syd Uni hear they have own issues at present but will be strong no doubt with the extended list again
    Maybe they should actually consider moving on from Mudge? hes had his chance give someone else a go

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO