Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 22 Adelaide V Sydney. Adelaide Oval 19.50 pm. Or 19.20 ACST.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I've never been really sure if it was steps or metres. Or if steps are just used as a convenient measure of distance? But steps seems to be the more usual measure. And two Swans related incidents, more or less convinced me that the number of steps was the criteria. One was the Lewis Jetta goal, where he bounced the ball three times, when running almost a hundred metres, but he was okay because he bounced the ball every fourteen steps. The other was when Tadhg Kennelly only travelled about three or four metres, while sizing up where to go, but was penalised for taking sixteen or seventeen little steps, that were not much longer than Irish jig moves. And I do recall the umpire saying to a bemused Tadhg, that it was the number of steps.
    Of course, my theory is mainly based on the assumption, that AFL umpiring is consistent enough to draw logical conclusions. There may be a flaw in that assumption?
    It's definitely metres. Jetta's goal was called out on whistleblowers as both magnificent and poor umpiring. I seem to recall the next game he got the ball on a break and was bouncing every 5m after that.

Looking at Buddy's goal, judging from the mowing pattern (is it a 10m pattern?) I think he ran closer to 20 than 15, but I can see that it would be very difficult for an umpire to judge it on the night. This is a case where I'm happy for them to use some discretion and give the benefit of the doubt to brilliant football, rather than kill the game with a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Towers' role is to promote speculation as to who should replace him.
    +1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's called tinkering to find a premiership winning formula.
    +1
    What's happening I find myself agreeing with you Ludwig

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    lol barry i can no longer tell if you are baiting or are truly delusional anymore
    I'm deadly serious. The only thing is I don't trust horse at the selection table. He will find a way to lose another grand final.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I don't know anything about this man but that sounds like the description of a shy person, not a rude person. Sadly people who tend to be on the introverted scale are often misunderstood.

(Just as we introverts often think extroverts are brash, smart-a show-offs.)
    I can tell you that I did not have him as a teacher myself but at the school in the play ground he didn't mind talking about the footy with the kids. He was a bit tight with the cash though. After we won about 4 in a row the year I had bets with him I didn't want double or nothing any more and it took a few more weeks and some persistence from me to get my cash.

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    I thought that that move was a good one for Heeney's development. It is amazing that it is still only his third season. Big call, but I see him as our future Gary Ablett.
    Penga, that's not a big call. It's purely delusional! In our future, Gary Ablett will be referred to as a past Isaac Heeney!

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    It's definitely metres. Jetta's goal was called out on whistleblowers as both magnificent and poor umpiring. I seem to recall the next game he got the ball on a break and was bouncing every 5m after that.

Looking at Buddy's goal, judging from the mowing pattern (is it a 10m pattern?) I think he ran closer to 20 than 15, but I can see that it would be very difficult for an umpire to judge it on the night. This is a case where I'm happy for them to use some discretion and give the benefit of the doubt to brilliant football, rather than kill the game with a bad decision.
    This is nothing but opinion, but I think some players (likely unintentionally) are given a little more time possibly because, on at least a subconscious level, there's an expectation that they with either extracte themselves form the he situation through skill or brute strength (JPK, Buddy, Goodsey) or might be pushing the limit of legality doing something special (Buddy, Goodsey, Jetta). That extra quarter turn in a tackle, but you know that the ball will be released with precision, or and extra meter or two on the burst which will produce a goal of the year contender. Some players are given that little bit of leeway in a questionable marking attempt because they may just pull off mark of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    What's happening I find myself agreeing with you Ludwig
    I can recommend a good psychiatrist. You'll get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    This is nothing but opinion, but I think some players (likely unintentionally) are given a little more time possibly because, on at least a subconscious level, there's an expectation that they with either extracte themselves form the he situation through skill or brute strength (JPK, Buddy, Goodsey) or might be pushing the limit of legality doing something special (Buddy, Goodsey, Jetta). That extra quarter turn in a tackle, but you know that the ball will be released with precision, or and extra meter or two on the burst which will produce a goal of the year contender. Some players are given that little bit of leeway in a questionable marking attempt because they may just pull off mark of the year.
    I think it's about confidence and control. If the player looks like they are in control of the situation, and is playing with confidence then I think the umpires get a little bit conned into thinking that it must be legal, otherwise the player wouldn't be doing it. Perfect example was in the Adelaide game - Buddy runs 18m down the wing and looks like he's going to kick a goal = "play on". Adelaide player runs 8m forwards, 8m backwards, doesn't know what to do = "ran too far".

That's why I don't like Mills showing his hand in frustration when he got tackled by Betts. If the umpire is evaluating whether it's HTB or 50m, that sort of thing can change their mind.

You ll never get under it lol

Re mills

For me the question what do the Swans need most in the absence of Macca next year?

Macca will only be slower in 2018 and we saw against a good team like Adelaide macca was forced into the forward line despite macca having a wonderful 2017

For me the most important role for the swans is Finding the next "on field coach Luke hodge role of HBF / midfield behind play

Ie what macca has been doing

I think Mills is the player for this role in the future unless AA comes into the backline and Rampe plays free

Grundy, smith, Rampe play tight one on one roles

Jones and Lloyd play lose attacking moving up the ground roles

Newman and mills in 2018 will continue to play tight and lose but I'd prefer Newman still pushing up the ground to set up play and mills to be that second third man in defence and in transition from the backinr directing traffic

Like hodge and mills are not particularly fast nor particularly agile but they are tough, smart, great overhead marks, spoil and can impose themselves in a one on one

At the same hodge is stil in front especially his kicking game is a class above but Mills can grow into this role

I don't think we have too much need for mills in the midfield in 2018

Hewett is moving into the midfield more in 2017

Jack can do another season in the midfield

Papley and Jones playing more in the midfield

Florent will bit by bit be in our midfield

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The day we drop towers, is the day we kiss the premiership goodbye.
    Horse knows it, and deep down you all know it too.
    Agreed.
    Towers does whatever job it is that Horse is asking of him.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I always wondered how he gets a game....

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Agreed.
    Guess he is lucky then, because if he is doing what Horse asks of him, it must be very little, because he has done very little over the past 3 games.