Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 22 Adelaide V Sydney. Adelaide Oval 19.50 pm. Or 19.20 ACST.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    Seems a lot of attention on Buddy's long run before the goal and the Mills incident, yet no real interest in the ridiculous imbalance in application of frees in the other 99% of the game. Why do we have to put up with this rubbish?
    I would even settle for an explanation of the Charlie Cameron free kick in the 3rd quarter. I have watched it ten times and still believe it should have been a push in the back to Lloyd, but unbiased umpire said it was a Cameron free kick.
    WTF?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    A different angle of Papley's winning goal. Incredibly lucky or pure skill?!

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    His skill created his luck?
    Skill-wise he put himself in a good position and was looking for Franklin to knock it forward to him and luck in that everyone miss judged the flight of the ball and it landed in Tom's hands (via his shoulder)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The day we drop towers, is the day we kiss the premiership goodbye.
    Horse knows it, and deep down you all know it too.
    What's with the love affair with Dean Towers. He has strung some games together this year which is great. I, along with many others thought he was pretty ordinary against Adelaide and could be dropped for Newman to come back in.

Sincere question - What makes you so confident Dean won't be dropped? Do you know something none of us do? Please enlighten us.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

90% skill and 10% luck. Was in the right place at the right time and instincts made him push forward knowing that he may get a knock on from Buddy towards goals. Personally speaking I believe Papley is something special and will be for years to come. I am imagining we will be singing the praises of him and Haywood in future as they destroy defences.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    What's with the love affair with Dean Towers. He has strung some games together this year which is great. I, along with many others thought he was pretty ordinary against Adelaide and could be dropped for Newman to come back in.

Sincere question - What makes you so confident Dean won't be dropped? Do you know something none of us do? Please enlighten us.
    He's baiting.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    There is another technical point that I have been mulling over. The protected zone extends to include a 5-metre semi-circle behind the player taking the kick. Betts was not on the mark - so therefore I assume he should be classed as behind the player with the kick. While he couldn't have been expected to disappear magically in the split second it took for Mills to play on, it seems to me he should not be able to tackle as he was in the 5-metre semi-circle behind Mills. (As distinct from a player in front of Mills who could have legitimately tackled had play-on be called.)
    I have two thoughts to throw in the mix:

1. I haven't seen the replay but I thought Betts was in front except that Mills turned and moved laterally (albeit consistent with his momentum when he took hold of the ball). So, not sure if you're suggesting that the in-front-of/behind axis runs according to the direction of the player's movement or the direction between the opposite goals. I would suggest it is the latter.

2. Where a player plays on immediately perhaps the rule about the protected zone never comes into effect.

Re: Papley - luck or skill

It's both. I think Papley was either judging that the ball would land in front of or next to him and he would regather or that it would be knocked on by Buddy. Pretty much that was what happened. This was smart. When the ball actually landed on his shoulder (which was really akin to a falcon) he adjusted adroitly and took possession without breaking stride - great skill although it was lucky the ball bounced in such a way that enabled him to do that.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    I was pondering this, also. Where, in essence, Betts was "offside".
    If you look closely Betts was holding Mills when he marked it and didn't let go. So could have been a 50 for that for deliberately holding up the game/time wasting. The closest umpire not making the call was a timing issue with him. Troy Pannell was looking straight at the contest and whistled first. Hope we get him in the finals.

Veteran Site Admin
    There's a bit of luck involved in many contests. What Papley did well is be decisive. He knew he had the pace to break away from the contest if he got into motion. There was some luck in how the ball fell into his hands, but even if it hadn't (maybe it had hit the ground) he would still have been in a good position to contest and maybe win the ball.

Veterans List
    Nice finish though.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's a bit of luck involved in many contests. What Papley did well is be decisive. He knew he had the pace to break away from the contest if he got into motion. There was some luck in how the ball fell into his hands, but even if it hadn't (maybe it had hit the ground) he would still have been in a good position to contest and maybe win the ball.
    How did the pill end up in his mitts , it was like a magic trick on Australia's Got Talent .

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Nice finish though.
    Once he had ball in hand and was in full flight, it was very skilful and composed to finish as he did.