Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 21: Gold Coast Suns Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Metricon Stadium

We are a lock for the premiership this year. We are so good than even a player who is tall, strong, evasive, quick, a great mark, quick decision maker, excellent field kick and kick for goal and can play any position on the ground is not good enough to make the senior side. Lucky for Adam Goodes that he played in a an era when the Swans needed a player like that, otherwise he would have spent his career in the NEAFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We are a lock for the premiership this year. We are so good than even a player who is tall, strong, evasive, quick, a great mark, quick decision maker, excellent field kick and kick for goal and can play any position on the ground is not good enough to make the senior side. Lucky for Adam Goodes that he played in a an era when the Swans needed a player like that, otherwise he would have spent his career in the NEAFL.
    Can't guess who you are referring to.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Can't guess who you are referring to.
    Why is he talking up Talia?

Regular in the Side
    Sounds like Dawson

BJ I assumed

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    MATCH REPORT: Sydney starves off brave Gold Coast to clinch minor premiership – NEAFL

I'm all for doing whatever is necessary to win but I draw the line at depriving the opposition of food.

Florent injured shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    ugg has there been a correction in the match report?
    I've only just read the report so I wouldn't be aware of any previous mistakes. What are you referring to?

Regular in the Side
    I assumed that starved had been changed to to staved in the body of report. Missed the headline.

Veterans List
    Goodesy spent his first year in the 2's under that great coach "Rocket' Eade. I remember he played a blinder at AFL Park and we said he had to be a certainty the next week. Nup. not even an emergency. Mind you he did strange stuff with Bolton and Fosdike. Backwards and forwards between Port Melbourne and the 1's. Then along came Roos and I don't think they missed a game after bar injury. Developing players is not Rockets strong suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    What does Rose have to do that he is not doing now to get selected Ugg? On the face if it he is going great guns.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    I don't deny Rose has had a great run in recent weeks offensively but I think that's only a part of his game to take into consideration.

To be really frank, I don't think the defensive side of his game is good enough for long enough. Part of that is related to his lack of speed compared to a Hayward, Towers, Florent or Cunningham. I don't deny he has had a great run in recent weeks

To me the main issue for Rose is his defensive side of his game isn't good enough consistently throughout the game. It might sound paradoxical but I think the one of the main criteria that the Swans coaches consider when picking their small/medium forwards is their defensive side of the game.

From my point of view, Rose lacks the speed that a Hayward, Towers, Florent or Cunningham possess. In addition, I don't think his kicking skills are that flash, certainly I think he turns the ball over then he should be. Dawson also suffers from these two issues to a certain degree, they are both long kicks but not necessarily accurate ones. Dawson is playing amazing football mainly as a inside midfielder with stints up forward in the NEAFL, but if he were to come the senior team it would almost certainly be as a forward and very little time in the midfield if at all.

How do we know if Rose would not be better than Towers or Hayward unless we give him a go? Same with Dawson. And if consistent high quality NEAFL form is not a measure of how we make selections for injured our under-performing senior players, then what is?
    Form is certainly a big factor to take into consideration, the other would be their performances on the training track. There was an audio interview with Longmire recently about Hayward (can't remember the source of the intreview though) where Longmire said that once he what Hayward could do during training he knew he had to pick him despite having played only 1 preseason game. There also needs to be an opportunity, a spot or role in the team that would suit the player under consideration regardless of his form in the NEAFL.

Veterans List
    Sat near us Friday night. I failed to bail him up to ask what glaring deficiencies in his game are keeping him out of the side. Glaring deficiencies, yep I've seen some of those at senior level this year.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast