Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zak Jones cleared

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    In the first scoring shot in the 2016 gf Kieren Jack took a mark just inside the forward 50 and got cleaned up by Easton Wood. Wood was not in the marking contest and made no attempt to spoil. I was screaming 'FIFTY' but it was not paid.

Zaks effort on Friday night was in the same vain but he didn't hit Crouch that hard. To me, it was not a reportable offence and certainly not a 50 m penalty. Crouch missed the shot at goal and i thought 'that got what it deserved'. The crowd made a lot of noise when Zak ran into Crouch.

Who is umpiring this game? The umpire or the crowd?
    Well, in Adelaide and Perth, the crowds are essentially the umpires but unfortunately in Sydney and maybe Brisbane the crowds seem to have no say.......

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    In the first scoring shot in the 2016 gf Kieren Jack took a mark just inside the forward 50 and got cleaned up by Easton Wood. Wood was not in the marking contest and made no attempt to spoil. I was screaming 'FIFTY' but it was not paid.

Zaks effort on Friday night was in the same vain but he didn't hit Crouch that hard. To me, it was not a reportable offence and certainly not a 50 m penalty. Crouch missed the shot at goal and i thought 'that got what it deserved'. The crowd made a lot of noise when Zak ran into Crouch.

Who is umpiring this game? The umpire or the crowd?
    And to add insult to injury (literally this time!) the same Easton Wood (sounds like a station on the London Underground) also cleaned up Hannebery with the same result from the umps.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Love this picture.....the smile says it all.jones_mrp-smile.jpg "Go away sooks!"

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Well, in Adelaide and Perth, the crowds are essentially the umpires but unfortunately in Sydney and maybe Brisbane the crowds seem to have no say.......
    Well said and very good point. Why? Maybe our supporters are not loud enough, maybe they don't threaten the umpires enough, Maybe need to throw missiles like tomatoes and rotten eggs. Can anyone provide an reason.???
    Once again SCG this week and YES ONCE AGAIN a Victorian side will get the better of the free kick count. Anyone want to bet against that prediction?

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Well said and very good point. Why? Maybe our supporters are not loud enough, maybe they don't threaten the umpires enough, Maybe need to throw missiles like tomatoes and rotten eggs. Can anyone provide an reason.???
    Once again SCG this week and YES ONCE AGAIN a Victorian side will get the better of the free kick count. Anyone want to bet against that prediction?
    Sure. I bet the Swans break even or win the free kick count.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    And to add insult to injury (literally this time!) the same Easton Wood (sounds like a station on the London Underground) also cleaned up Hannebery with the same result from the umps.
    you're spot-on. To me that was the final turning point of the gf. Our F50, the Bulldogs captain takes out our best 4 quarter runner. Wood would have been put up to that by his coach - it was too coincidental.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    For anyone who likes to bet based on data: at the SCG 2000 - 2016, the Swans broke even or won the free kick count 77 times, opposition teams 80. Last year it was 5 to 7. So you'll be right about half the time if you take a guess

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Lets wait and see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Free kick count 25-18 in Swans favour. What do I win?

Free kick count 25-18 in Swans favour. What do I win?
    I think the 38000+ crowd helped - particularly with Buddy on a roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Do you have any data to back that up?

Just interested because I know studies have been done on it, but it is quite hard to prove as there isn't much data so it is hard to control for team playing styles. eg. Geelong give away a lot of free kicks, and so tend to lose the count, but do they lose it less often away from home? What difference does it make if they are playing Gold Coast, who get very few frees for, but also few frees against. It does my head in?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12