Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Media and the Swans (merged / renamed thread)

[QUOTE=dimelb;739673]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    Sydney v Essendon, Swans bullied Essendon around the ball | Fox Sports

That was an interesting read - thanks Vonsteinman.

Then I went on to read the next item. Sounds like some Richmond supporters resemble those of another club we have met:

AFL fan behaviour, Richmond fans MCG, Geelong fan renounces membership after feeling sexually, physically threatened at qualifying final | Fox Sports
    That is a seriously ridiculous article. It seems that the league and the club are now responsible for every single fans behavior . On one hand we sit here and talk about "nanny state" policies by councils , governments and other bodies while on the other we have people withdrawing from AFL as if its the leagues fault that there is bad behavior of a small group of fans among 95,000 people.

Veterans List
    I can confirm that the Richmond supporters around me on Friday night were terrible. Reminded me so much of the Hawks supporters. I would hate to see what they are like if they win the premiership.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    That is a seriously ridiculous article. It seems that the league and the club are now responsible for every single fans behavior . On one hand we sit here and talk about "nanny state" policies by councils , governments and other bodies while on the other we have people withdrawing from AFL as if its the leagues fault that there is bad behavior of a small group of fans among 95,000 people.
    This is a seriously ridiculous response to a genuine problem that has nothing to do with the "nanny state", a phrase which is used to imply that one should put up with bad behaviour. Moreover, at no point in the article did the woman interviewed say or imply that the obnoxious behaviour was the fault of the AFL. She was one of a small group of women who were picked on by grossly misbehaving men.

It would have been a positive move to contact the anti-social hotline, as my daughter, no shrinking violet, did at the Carlton game we lost. They attended and the yobs shut up shop.

Since becoming acquainted with Australian Football one of the things that opened my eyes was the high percentage of women and girls in the crowd. Coming from a Rugby League background I see this as one of the more endearing aspects of the AFL. But it will not survive unless there is a degree of vigilance regarding obnoxious crowd behaviour.
    Last edited by dimelb; 12th September 2017 at 10:30 PM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

One of the reasons why I started this thread

AFL club supporters: Sydney Swans enjoy overwhelming support according to Morgan Research poll

Massive amount of support n hardly a mention in the media until its finals time n they have no choice.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Yes we still get the support without the media.

Joe public will support a team based on what they see on TV or attending if it's attractive or exciting to watch they will take an interest or "support the team".

Support is not generated by column inches or TV program or news minutes.

Club news is for the seriously hardcore and doesn't mean much to the casual follower.

If you look at the conversion rates 19% of supporters actually purchased a Footscray membership. The main question is will they purchase another, that will be based on performance this year.

Will be interesting to see how their membership numbers go next year after missing the finals this year.

Just ask some of friends that support the Swans to see what triggered their support and why they continue with their support. Ask if they are interested or need in depth news on the inner workings of the club.
    sprite

You just don't get it...whoosh

Veterans List
    Here's a nice little story which qualifies for this thread I suppose, as I heard it on the radio (ABC). The host was asking people to call in to explain why they barracked for their AFL team. A lady rang in and said her family came out as 10 pound Poms and after realising how important footy was to Australian culture and 'fitting in', her Dad wrote to all the then VFL teams asking them why he should barrack for them. Only one team got back to him, the South Melbourne Football Club.....they sent him a scarf and a rule book and that family has been avid Swans fans ever since. Our club has a proud history and little stories like that just reinforce my pride......

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Here's a nice little story which qualifies for this thread I suppose, as I heard it on the radio (ABC). The host was asking people to call in to explain why they barracked for their AFL team. A lady rang in and said her family came out as 10 pound Poms and after realising how important footy was to Australian culture and 'fitting in', her Dad wrote to all the then VFL teams asking them why he should barrack for them. Only one team got back to him, the South Melbourne Football Club.....they sent him a scarf and a rule book and that family has been avid Swans fans ever since. Our club has a proud history and little stories like that just reinforce my pride......
    I know of many people who have so many different reasons for following
    - a lady unmet last week did so because when she moved over from England her came home from school one day and asked her who se supported ("you need to have someone mum") after much thought she settled on the Swans as she had many Swans on a lake where she lived back in England
    - my dad does because his son does with a passion and the very first AFL football game dad went to (and we got to go together) was the 2005 Grand Final ... one of the most special days of my life for that reason
    - my friend in Tassie is a 4th generation Swans supporter ... it's in his blood & now his son is the next generation
    - Goswannette probably because I do ... she had no interest in footy prior to us getting together
    - me ... thanks to a 1980 Barry Round footy card (the first footy card I ever got and the jumper had my favourite color on it ... who'd have thought my passion ... nay, obsession ... could stem from that?)

Whatever the reason or origin of our following, we share a common bond with our club and (dare I suggest) each other

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Whatever the reason or origin of our following, we share a common bond with our club and (dare I suggest) each other
    So when and where is the Christmas Party picnic, long kicking comp, acurrate kicking comp and kick-to-kick ?

I'm looking forward to it .
    Last edited by liz; 22nd September 2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: fixed quotation formatting

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Thanks stevoswan, great little story.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I know of many people who have so many different reasons for following
    - a lady unmet last week did so because when she moved over from England her came home from school one day and asked her who se supported ("you need to have someone mum") after much thought she settled on the Swans as she had many Swans on a lake where she lived back in England
    - my dad does because his son does with a passion and the very first AFL football game dad went to (and we got to go together) was the 2005 Grand Final ... one of the most special days of my life for that reason
    - my friend in Tassie is a 4th generation Swans supporter ... it's in his blood & now his son is the next generation
    - Goswannette probably because I do ... she had no interest in footy prior to us getting together
    - me ... thanks to a 1980 Barry Round footy card (the first footy card I ever got and the jumper had my favourite color on it ... who'd have thought my passion ... nay, obsession ... could stem from that?)

Yes, I often remind Mrs Tigers of the empty, shallow life of music, art, theatre, politics and friends she used to lead before the light
    shined down upon her that afternoon in 1992 at the SCG during "The Streak". She knows she's a much better person now.