Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Media and the Swans (merged / renamed thread)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I agree that there aren't enough journos who pay attention to, for instance, how important the academies are both for the clubs and the game's future growth.

But their basic problem is that they have to sell newspapers and corral listeners and viewers in Victoria. That's their prime concern. It limits them, but that's the way the Sherrin bounces!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    The clubs are national, the competition is national but the media are still stuck in the old vfl days.
    It is not a national competition. It is still the VFL with manufactured interstate teams pasted in and a couple of vic teams deleted. The management and media is still the old Melbourne boys club that runs deep through its core.

Senior Player
    Yep. But they've all still got their hand out for the substantially bigger pay checks that come from there being "interstate"
    clubs. Was Ross Oakley getting paid $760K a year (the 1986 equivalent of McLachlan's $2M a year nowadays) for running the
    practically bankrupt VFL back then? I think maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    It is not a national competition. It is still the VFL with manufactured interstate teams pasted in and a couple of vic teams deleted. The management and media is still the old Melbourne boys club that runs deep through its core.
    Last edited by KTigers; 23rd August 2017 at 12:34 AM.

I agree KTigers they are reaping the rewards and keeping control centralised (in a their southern centric world).

With 10 teams still in Melbourne (if you include Cats) , it won't change much but it remains massive fun to take the pi$$ out of them year after year.

Then again You have to hand it to them , sport in Melbourne is such a spectacularly successful money tree it's mind boggling.

You wonder where Joe Public keeps finding the $$$ to go to the footy, the horses races, the tennis, the motor bike races, NSW State of Origin (for goodness sake) , soccer exhibition matches, now WAFL (crowds way above predictions), golf, darts (or was that in Broken Hill).

In Sydney they can't get more than 10,000 (from a pop of 5mil) to go and see the worlds fastest equine althlete.
    The Rugby League crowds are pathetic.

Melbourne, you are manic .

Oops..... forgot all the forms of cricket

Senior Player
    "But the local media will report whatever crap appeases the local readers (although I think it's probably worse in SA as they think the universe is against them)"

After having lived for five years in SA I have to agree. The local paper is dismissed as Crows propaganda by all Port supporters who are even more parochial and one eyed then the fruit tingles supporters.
    I could never fully understand why they were so xenophobic towards those from other states as the state has a very impressive social innovation record.
    Puts me in mind of an old joke.
    How do you tell a South Australian is well balanced ?
    They have a chip on both shoulders

Like I've said I have no problem whatsoever when it comes to the local media having their content skewed to their local sides but it's utterly rediculous when it comes to nationally broadcast shows or internet content. I pay for this substandard garbage n I expect more. Its very bad business as they are not growing their consumer base. Its why I believe Murdoch n co will lose a lot of their product to streaming as the years go on. If I have choice of listening to 4 bafoons n a hanger on sprout Victorian propaganda or instead listen to a balanced report on the net I'll take the balanced reporting every single day of the week. Sadly I think the AFL likes it the way it is as i believe it's the divide n conquer tactics. Keeps us all quiet to argue amongst ourselves. Friday night is the best example, Sydney supporters claiming the fifty by the rules was there n Adelaide claiming their robbed all the while no1 looking at the people running the game asking "when the f.... are you going to fix all this" with stuff all media asking wtf was that that just got dished up.

Senior Player
    The reality is that virtually all the growth in the game when talking about actually going to a game has come from outside
    Melbourne, and Victoria.
    In 1981 3.3 million people attended home-and-away games in Melbourne & Geelong, and about 50,000
    people attended the three H & A games outside of Victoria.
    In 2016 3.66 million people attended H & A games in Melbourne & Geelong, and another 2.71 million people attended games outside
    of Victoria.
    So in the time Melbourne's population has increased by 65%, only 10% more are actually going to a game.
    A large portion of the increased money in the game in that time has come from broadcast rights. It results because
    national advertisers want to try and sell beer and soft drink and cars to people in Sydney (and Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide)
    not because Eddie found four extra Magpies fans in a laneway off Johnston St, or a Dogs fan bought an extra scarf at
    a convenience store in Yarraville. All this money flows downhill, to AFL administrators, to players, to player managers, to
    media commentators etc. There are a whole lot of people making way more money (after taking account for inflation) than
    they would have made doing the same job pre expansion. And very few of them ever acknowledge where all this extra
    food on the table is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    The reality is that virtually all the growth in the game when talking about actually going to a game has come from outside
    Melbourne, and Victoria.
    In 1981 3.3 million people attended home-and-away games in Melbourne & Geelong, and about 50,000
    people attended the three H & A games outside of Victoria.
    In 2016 3.66 million people attended H & A games in Melbourne & Geelong, and another 2.71 million people attended games outside
    of Victoria.
    So in the time Melbourne's population has increased by 65%, only 10% more are actually going to a game.
    A large portion of the increased money in the game in that time has come from broadcast rights. It results because
    national advertisers want to try and sell beer and soft drink and cars to people in Sydney (and Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide)
    not because Eddie found four extra Magpies fans in a laneway off Johnston St, or a Dogs fan bought an extra scarf at
    a convenience store in Yarraville. All this money flows downhill, to AFL administrators, to players, to player managers, to
    media commentators etc. There are a whole lot of people making way more money (after taking account for inflation) than
    they would have made doing the same job pre expansion. And very few of them ever acknowledge where all this extra
    food on the table is coming from.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Vic media preach this day n night. Best fictional writers when it comes to footy.

Just wild about Harry
    Geez guys, the journos write for their readership because that is where their pay packet comes from. Why would a Melbourne journo write about interstate teams when few of the Melbourne readership would read it? Journos down here write about Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon because it sells papers/traffic - just look at the latest club membership figures.
    Do we think that the Adelaide and Perth journos cover mainly Melbourne clubs? Of course not!
    It is all a part of the provincial nature of football so we need to get over it.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Geez guys, the journos write for their readership because that is where their pay packet comes from. Why would a Melbourne journo write about interstate teams when few of the Melbourne readership would read it? Journos down here write about Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon because it sells papers/traffic - just look at the latest club membership figures.
    Do we think that the Adelaide and Perth journos cover mainly Melbourne clubs? Of course not!
    It is all a part of the provincial nature of football so we need to get over it.
    +1
    sprite

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast