Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Media and the Swans (merged / renamed thread)

Senior Player
    It's the focus of the coverage on the national broadcasters that we are talking about. It should be different to the
    local rag in Melbourne. Fox Footy is broadcast nationally, but even now, they are still talking more about Melbourne
    teams who aren't going to make the 8 than interstate teams that are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Geez guys, the journos write for their readership because that is where their pay packet comes from. Why would a Melbourne journo write about interstate teams when few of the Melbourne readership would read it? Journos down here write about Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon because it sells papers/traffic - just look at the latest club membership figures.
    Do we think that the Adelaide and Perth journos cover mainly Melbourne clubs? Of course not!
    It is all a part of the provincial nature of football so we need to get over it.
    Do you have Foxtel? If you do you'd understand what everyone is talking about. It's a national broadcaster that people throughout Australia pay for meaning it should be covered nationally. Same for talking footy. Broadcast throughout Australia. It's a complete joke that to get ALL games on tv I'm stuck listening to drivel that belongs on the Lygon st cafe strip. I'm better off dropping Foxtel n using the AFL app to watch games from my tv illegally, yes it's possible.

Also it shows in their reporting of payers transferring to other clubs. They didn't have a clue Franklin was coming to Sydney because they couldn't be a$$$ed leaving their Melbourne fish tank for 5 minutes to build up relationships and contacts outside Melbourne. If a small minority had there's no doubt in my mind it would have leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It's the focus of the coverage on the national broadcasters that we are talking about. It should be different to the
    local rag in Melbourne. Fox Footy is broadcast nationally, but even now, they are still talking more about Melbourne
    Exactly. Ports fighting for a top 4 spot but the football public would hardly know about it.

Senior Player
    The game commentary on Fox is nigh on unlistenable. During the last two away games against Geelong and Adelaide, we actually
    turned the sound off. It wouldn't bother me, but I pay for it. It's like these morons don't realise (or care) that people all over
    Australia are watching the Swans play Adelaide. Apparently it was the most watched game this season, not surprising when
    the two best teams play each in Round 22. I've pretty much given up on 360 until someone tells that pair that there are teams based
    more than 5 km from the studio, and the broadcast signal goes a bit further than the end of the road outside the studio, and
    reminds them who is paying their wages.

Just wild about Harry
    I will bet that there are more consumers of Foxtel AFL in Victoria than probably in all the other states combined. Well, maybe an exaggeration, but I wouldnt be surprised.

The game commentary on Fox is nigh on unlistenable. During the last two away games against Geelong and Adelaide, we actually
    turned the sound off. It wouldn't bother me, but I pay for it. It's like these morons don't realise (or care) that people all over
    Australia are watching the Swans play Adelaide. Apparently it was the most watched game this season, not surprising when
    the two best teams play each in Round 22. I've pretty much given up on 360 until someone tells that pair that there are teams based
    more than 5 km from the studio, and the broadcast signal goes a bit further than the end of the road outside the studio, and
    In defence of Foxtel they are only aloud to take the c7 commentary so game commentary is c7's fault for Friday nights. But the 1/2 time n post game discussions are dictated to by Eddie way to much. Sarah Jones pulls the other suited up bogans into line pretty well. Atleast just give me the press red to mute the commentary like I used to have instead of listening to the attention seeking half wits we have now pushing their Victorian clubs barrow. 360's problem is Robinson, sensationalist journo looking for headlines while downing a can or 2. He appears to be on their just to promote the next days headline for his toilet paper. Last night Sheahan showed exactly how it's done. Like I've said these shows n journalists/commentators will fall by the wayside very quickly when live streaming shows become the norm. It's not far away n if no1 believes me look into the US or Europe. The next tv rights are going to be very very interesting.

Warming the Bench
    Great comments everybody. Last Friday night it was obvious the ch 7 commentators were pandering to the Adelaide audience and, to a lesser degree, the Melbourne audience who like to watch Friday night footy. Plenty, like me, are Swans supporters.

The Swans like to fly under the radar away from the fish bowl. Can you imagine the fuss if Collingwood went from 0-6 to 6th at the end of the H and A season. I think Buddy's main reason for going to the Swans was to get away from all the AFL media scrutiny. Every time he scratched his nose down here there was some media hack writing about it.

I will bet that there are more consumers of Foxtel AFL in Victoria than probably in all the other states combined. Well, maybe an exaggeration, but I wouldnt be surprised.
    I'll bet their is not. Adelaide v Sydney ratings proved it. Highest ratings game all year.

Veteran Site Admin
    Are you talking about the commentary during the matches themselves, or the pre and post game discussions?

For the prime time games (ie all Friday night games, including our games against Adelaide and Geelong), the match commentary is the C7 commentary - ie we get Broooce, BT, Carey and Ling (most weeks). The pre and post game commentary and analysis is content generated by Fox.

Where Fox broadcast a game not also broadcast by C7, they do provide their own commentary teams.

I agree that the Friday night C7 commentary team is bog ordinary. It irritates me even when it's not a game involving the Swans. Maybe it irritates me even more, because I'm not so emotionally invested in the game and block out the commentary less.

For games outside the Friday night showpiece, I think it depends on who you get and what your preferences are. I quite like Dunstall, for example, and he does seem to get rostered on quite a lot of Swans games that Fox covers. Roos (also another Swans regular) is OK but I find him somewhat dull. I enjoy Anthony Hudson and find Sandy Roberts unobtrusive (which is a good thing). Alistair Lynch isn't too bad, while Dermie is a mixed bag - some of his insights are really good but then he gets caught up on something bizarre and won't let go for the rest of the game.

I am not a fan of any of the C7 regulars - Friday nights or other games - but I do enjoy Richo's self-deprecating humour.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    Great comments everybody. Last Friday night it was obvious the ch 7 commentators were pandering to the Adelaide audience and, to a lesser degree, the Melbourne audience who like to watch Friday night footy. Plenty, like me, are Swans supporters.

The Swans like to fly under the radar away from the fish bowl. Can you imagine the fuss if Collingwood went from 0-6 to 6th at the end of the H and A season. I think Buddy's main reason for going to the Swans was to get away from all the AFL media scrutiny. Every time he scratched his nose down here there was some media hack writing about it.
    It's not the media saturation people want its balanced discussion about ALL sides. The beginning of the year for Sydney should have been talk about how has a side that just lost a grand final doing so badly. Talk that Parker had a limited pre-season, is Aliir having 2nd year blues, Is Longmire struggling, Have they lost their desire, is Jacks career over etc not look at the camera with a blank stair n then go to the fall back of injuries. For GWS it should be their playing well being so injury riddled, Brisbane how has Fagan turned around the culture n how much has bringing Noble on board helped. I want to hear discussion how cam McCarthy is travelling after the turmoil of leaving GWS. But no it was the weekly circle jerk of Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda n Essendon. The club n players might like flying under the radar but I think most supporters like to hear people in the media talk about their club from a outside the circle point of view.

Senior Player
    I haven't seen any figures re the breakup of their subscribers. But if what is meant to be a national broadcaster is going to focus mostly
    on teams from one state, then maybe they should be more transparent about it and call it Fox Footy Melbourne or something, and people
    interstate can make the call about whether they want to subscribe or not. At least with say the Herald Sun, it's just a local rag so you
    know there will be four pages devoted to Nathan Buckley every other day, or what Jake Carlisle had for breakfast, and you can choose
    whether to subscribe or not. For lots of people (myself included) their interest in footy doesn't begin and end at the team they support.
    There are so many interesting things going on in footy outside of Melbourne, and outside of the Swans too for that matter. I just think
    there should be a quality national media perspective and coverage of the game from somewhere. But there isn't.

Last edited by KTigers; 23rd August 2017 at 03:41 PM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast